Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP:Cartwright Heeds Word From Davis

TK

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A33486-2003Nov12.html

I33742-2003Nov12L Rock Cartwright, a close friend of former Redskins tailback Stephen Davis, figures to see plenty of playing time Sunday.

Cartwright Heeds Word From Davis

Mentor, Pupil Will Square Off Sunday

By Mark Maske

Washington Post Staff Writer

Thursday, November 13, 2003; Page D01

When Stephen Davis broke into the NFL with the Washington Redskins in 1996, veteran running back Terry Allen taught him the ways of the league, stressing the importance of dedication and preparation and pouncing on opportunities. Davis returned the favor last year, mentoring Redskins rookie fullback Rock Cartwright, and the two became so close that Cartwright spent Christmas with Davis and his family.

Cartwright's chance to be in the spotlight perhaps has arrived. He played a major role in the Redskins' much-needed win over the Seattle Seahawks last Sunday at FedEx Field. This weekend, when the Redskins play at Carolina, he could be the featured runner for his team for the first time since he was in high school. And if that happens, Davis will be there to watch, as he faces his former club.

"We're like the best of friends," Cartwright said yesterday at Redskins Park. "I went home with him last year for Christmas and we spent a lot of time together then. We spent a lot of time together off the field. I look at Stephen as my big brother and I look at him as a role model also."

Cartwright practiced mostly at fullback yesterday, said Redskins Coach Steve Spurrier. He was the team's only healthy fullback because Bryan Johnson was withheld from contact drills because of a concussion. But after Cartwright took advantage of the team's tailback shortage and ran for 81 yards on 13 carries in the 27-20 triumph over Seattle, he could be a big part of the offensive game plan against a Carolina defense that specializes in rushing the passer and must be kept off balance.

"Rock could play a lot of tailback," Spurrier said.

Davis said of his pupil during a conference call with D.C. area reporters: "I'm happy for him and I'm proud of him. He's worked hard to be in the position that he's in. . . . He has a lot of heart and desire. He runs hard when he has the ball. He blocks well when he's blocking. He's just a guy that wants to go out there and perform in the best way possible. Being young, he's got a lot of football in front of him."

The Redskins believed that they had unearthed a gem when they selected Cartwright from Kansas State in the seventh round of last year's draft. Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson, then the team's running backs coach, skipped around the hallways at Redskins Park and yelled in glee when Cartwright was available with the 257th overall pick. The Redskins thought they'd gotten a compact fullback -- he's listed at 5 feet 7 and 223 pounds -- who could run a little bit, block a little bit and perhaps develop into a decent receiver.

They didn't think they were getting a centerpiece runner. Cartwright, 23, hadn't been his team's top runner since his days at Conroe (Tex.) High School, where he rushed for 5,231 yards and was a Parade All-American. He signed with Baylor but didn't receive a qualifying ACT score and spent two seasons at a junior college, then passed up a scholarship offer from Mississippi to walk on at Kansas State, where he earned a scholarship within a week.

He had only three carries for the Redskins last season, and entered last Sunday's game with 96 rushing yards in the NFL. But Davis had told him last year about how he had waited his turn behind Allen, about how he had converted to fullback before getting his chance after Allen left. Davis burst on the scene in 1999, his fourth season with the Redskins. He had three straight seasons in which he topped 1,300 rushing yards and reached two Pro Bowls before struggling in Spurrier's pass-first system last year and getting released.

"He took his opportunity and ran with it," Cartwright said. "That's what it takes. He told me, 'If you get an opportunity, you have to make the best of it.' . . . I think long-term I can be a featured runner for somebody. I feel like, if you get opportunities, you need to take advantage of them. When I got the opportunity, I feel like I took pretty decent advantage of it. But it's not just about one game. It's about being consistent game after game. That's when you can consider yourself a pretty decent back."

Cartwright said he speaks to Davis an average of twice a week by phone, and the two talked on Tuesday. Cartwright, like most Redskins players, is convinced Davis will play after sitting out last Sunday's victory over the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because of a sprained ankle.

"I really don't think he was hurt," said Redskins middle linebacker Jeremiah Trotter. "He was resting up for us."

Davis said his ankle feels "a lot better" and that not playing this weekend "would definitely hurt me." He maintained that he has "no grudges" against the Redskins and regards their decision to release him as a business matter. He did acknowledge, however, that he wishes Spurrier had given him "a better opportunity."

Said Davis: "I took it like a man and kept going. All I ask for is an opportunity, and I'm getting a great opportunity here. Last year was a learning experience for me. Every time I go out on the field, I play like it's my last time because you never know what's going to happen."

Washington Post staff writer Mark Maske will be online to answer questions about the Redskins today at 10:45 a.m. at www.washingtonpost.com/sports.

© 2003 The Washington Post Company

Archived