Extremeskins

Redskins.com:Quotes From Redskin Park, Nov. 12

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12248

Quotes From Redskin Park, Nov. 12

11/12/2003

HEAD COACH STEVE SPURRIER

On the prospect of Carolina blitzing the Redskins in Sunday’s game:

“Carolina could bring some blitzes. Their style hasn’t been all-out blitzing, but they certainly they’re capable.”

On who will be the featured back in the game:

“Rock could play a lot of tailback. Right now, Bryan Johnson with his concussion did not [participate in contact drills] today. Rock had to go at fullback—he’s the only one we have. But he could play some tailback.”

On whether Trung Canidate starts at tailback if Johnson is ready by Sunday: “We’ll talk about it as the week goes. There’s a chance Rock could play a whole lot more.” On Ladell Betts’ status:

“He is doubtful with a fractured forearm.” On Carolina’s offense led by Stephen Davis:

“Stephen’s had a big year for them. He did not play last week in their victory over Tampa Bay. But if he doesn’t play this Sunday, DeShaun Foster is a very good back also. They run the ball, they do play-action…they’re offense has been very good this year.”

On trying to tackle a big back like Stephen Davis:

“The little guys need to tackle him low. The big guys need to stay in their gaps. Just play solid defense is what you do against really good running backs.”

On the Redskins’ run defense:

“We got out of position a few times last week. Shaun Alexander broke a few, but our secondary guys made good tackles to prevent the long runs. We need to be more disciplined up front with our linemen and linebackers—and not create those holes.”

On Davis’s departure from the Redskins last offseason:

“It had a lot to do with the salary cap issues.”

On Ade Jimoh:

“We talked about that today. It seems like all of his plays with the Redskins have been bad plays. We’re waiting on him to make a good play. He made the team, though. We think there’s hope for him. I don’t know who else we’re going to play. But we think eventually he’s going to be a good player.”

On Panthers’ quarterback Jake Delhomme:

“Jake has had a good year for them. I like watching him play. When they need a play, he can go do it. When there’s pressure, he gets it off. If he held the ball a long time, he’d probably be sacked a lot, too. But he knows how to get rid of it. He knows how to play the game. He’s a big reason why those guys are 7-2."

On how he impressed he was about Delhomme’s game-winning drive against Tampa Bay last Sunday:

“Yes. Not only that one, but the first game of the season—that might have been their biggest game of the year—when they were down 17-0, they caught Jacksonville from behind. I think they scored on fourth down to win that game. Jake’s been a big addition for them.”

On pass pressure from the Panthers:

“We always have concerns in pass protection. Seattle had not been a great pass rush team. Most teams have had time to throw when they rushed their four guys. Carolina is a lot different. They have excellent rushers. All four of those guys are really good. And they’re all healthy, too. Hopefully Patrick [Ramsey] won’t hold it a long time and if they’re blitzing, we can get it off a lot better than we did in the preseason. We messed up a bunch of protections in preseason down there. Hopefully we’re a little smarter, but only time will tell.”

PATRICK RAMSEY (QB, #11)

On playing the Panthers:

“It's a big game as they all are going to be for the rest of the season. They're a good team. We just need to try to concentrate on ourselves and play our best game and give ourselves a shot to win the game.”

On the team’s confidence level coming off the Seattle win:

“I think we have a bit of confidence. I don't think we ever really doubted ourselves, but it's just at the same time we don't want to get overconfident just because we did beat a good team.”

On the offensive line’s performance in the Seattle win:

“They did a great job. I had plenty of time to throw the football. I had plenty of time to make decisions. Everybody across the board did a really good job of helping to support me and kind of made me look good, but they played great. They deserve all the credit for the running game being consistent and making great plays. Those two touchdown passes, those guys made great catches. Just having the time to do that and to make that happen feels good for me and kind of gets you back into a rhythm."

On playing with Stephen Davis last year:

“He was always very encouraging to me, almost in a wise way. He was always a guy who would give you things that would help you and always encouraged me to be a leader out there. Him being out there with me, encouraging me to be a leader just helped bring me along. I'm just thankful the way he treated me while he was here.”

On his health:

“Oh, I'm fine. I have no [health] problems.”

On Rock Cartwright:

“The guy broke tackles, made big plays and made big runs when we really needed them, especially there at the end. He got the ball down inside the 10. I think he's going to be able to do some things that are going to help us down the stretch.”

On the Redskins’ balanced attack:

“As we watch tape and as we develop the game plan and practice our plays, I think we’ll get a good feel for what we want to do. But I think we’ve shown that when we’re more balanced it puts us in position to win ballgames.”

On when he learned that offensive coordinator Hue Jackson would be calling some of the plays last Sunday:

“I learned shortly before the game, but I didn’t know all week. It was kind of a team effort.”

On Laveranues Coles recovering the fumble against Seattle:

“To me, that play kind of captures Laveranues and just the way he’s been all year. He’s always hustling. He always works. He never sits anything out. That play epitomizes what he’s capable of doing and what he’s always willing to do. That was a huge play in the game. He creates a fumble and we go down and score a touchdown to cut the lead to four points. It was definitely a game-saving play.”

On Randy Thomas:

“He’s a good guy to have there. He’s very enthusiastic and he keeps guys loose in the huddle sometimes. He’s a great player week-in and week-out this year. He’s a fiery guy and some of the guys feed off that.”

On whether the Redskins can take anything away from the pre-season game against Carolina:

“I guess the one thing I can point to as far as prior experience against Carolina is that it’s a familiar setting. You know what to expect. You know the locker room. There are a few variables taken out of the equation. Being as small as that sounds, it is something you have to adjust to.”

On whether he expects Carolina to blitz more:

“I expect to react to whatever they show. We expected Seattle to blitz more. So I think the Panthers expect to be able to create some pressure with their front four because they have done that against everyone else. At the same time, we have a capable group up front that can help slow down that push.”

CHRIS SAMUELS (LT, #60)

On facing Stephen Davis:

“He’s a great back. We definitely have our work cut out for us on the defensive side of the ball. All he needs is a small crease and he can take it the distance. He breaks tackles and he only gets stronger as the game goes on.”

On whether Davis will be pumped up to play his former team:

“I’m sure he’ll be pretty excited to play against us, and we’re excited to play against him also.”

On facing the Panthers:

“They’re a good team. We just have to go out, do what we do best and execute well.”

On whether the Panthers game is a must-win:

“I think so. Our backs are against the wall from here on out. We created this, and we just have to dig ourselves out of this hole.”

On whether he expects Carolina to blitz:

“I really don’t know what they’re going to do at this point. I’d be surprised if they didn’t blitz.”

JEREMIAH TROTTER (MLB, #54)

On facing Stephen Davis:

“It’ll be a dogfight. We all know what type of runner Stephen is. They have a good changeup back in DeShaun Foster. So we just have to go out and fight to the end. Hopefully we can come away with a win.”

On the key to stopping Stephen Davis:

“We have to attack the line of scrimmage. Stephen breaks a lot of tackles, so we definitely have to wrap him up. He’s going to keep coming back play after play, and you have to do the same thing.”

On whether he’s surprised at Carolina’s 7-2 start:

“The way Stephen’s running, no I’m not surprised. When you have a running back putting up 120-130 yards per game, it’s not hard to get a lead. Watching them over the course of the season, they put themselves in position to win. They’ve won three games in overtime so that shows they are putting themselves in position to win.”

On Coach Spurrier’s role with the defense:

“He talks to us a lot already. He’ll come over and make sure everything is going good. That’s what a head coach does—spend time on both sides of the ball and make sure guys are playing their assignments.”

ROCK CARTWRIGHT (RB, #40)

On possibly starting the Panthers game:

“If I get the start, I’ll be excited. But if not, it’s just another big game. So I’m just going to approach it as just another big game.”

On whether he’s talked to Stephen Davis:

“Yes, I talked to him on Tuesday. Stephen’s ready to go. He’s ready to go against any team.”

On what he learned from Davis watching him last year:

“Stephen’s a physical runner. He’s a bruiser. I just like his running style. I think our running style is similar, even though he’s a lot bigger than I am. As far as running and reading the holes, we’re pretty similar. I learned a lot from him, how to approach the game, how to watch game tape and how to be a pro.”

On what Davis thought about his performance last Sunday:

“We really didn’t talk about it much. He just told me to keep up the good work. Every now and then, I’ll call him or he’ll call me. We talk about twice a week. We’re like the best of friends. I went home with him last Christmas and we hang out together off the field. I look at Stephen as my big brother and a role model.”

On whether he feels he can be a starting tailback in the NFL or if he still views himself as a fullback:

“I think long-term I could be a featured runner in this league. I feel like if you get the opportunity, you have to take advantage of it. It’s not just about one game, you have to be consistent—you have to do it game after game.”

“Jake has had a good year for them. I like watching him play. When they need a play, he can go do it. When there’s pressure, he gets it off. If he held the ball a long time, he’d probably be sacked a lot, too. But he knows how to get rid of it. He knows how to play the game. He’s a big reason why those guys are 7-2."

OK maybe I'm reading too much between the lines but now I'm wondering if Danny didn't make the right move with Wuerfel's release. This quote makes me think SOS would've been tempted to start him over Ramsey at some point this season. Sounds like he's really tired that HIS system is always questioned and not the execution.

Archived