Extremeskins

Redskins.com:Bowen Expects to Be Back Vs. Carolina

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12246

Bowen Expects to Be Back Vs. Carolina

11/12/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Safety Matt Bowen practiced on Wednesday just three days after suffering a concussion in the Seattle game and he is hopeful of playing this Sunday at Carolina. The status of running backs Ladell Betts and Chad Morton, safety Andre Lott, defensive tackle Jermaine Haley and center Larry Moore remains uncertain, however.

Head coach Steve Spurrier said that Bowen would likely be cleared to play against Carolina. The fifth-year player is officially listed as probable for the game.

“You get dinged sometimes in this game, but we have good doctors,” Bowen said. “They’re taking care of me this week and I should be able to play.”

Bowen, who was held out of contact drills in Wednesday’s practice, added that he didn’t have any aftereffects from the concussion.

“You’re always concerned about your own health,” he said. “I wouldn’t be out there if I didn’t think I was all right.”

Fullback Bryan Johnson, who suffered a mild concussion in the Seattle game, joined the Redskins on the practice field but was held out of contact drills. He is officially listed as probable for Sunday’s game. Complete Injury Report.

Johnson’s status could have an impact on who starts in the Redskins’ backfield for Sunday’s game.

The Redskins are working fullback Rock Cartwright into the tailback rotation after his 81-yard rushing performance against Seattle last Sunday. But he is starting the week’s preparation getting the bulk of reps at fullback due to Johnson’s injury.

“There’s a chance Rock could play a lot of tailback [on Sunday],” Spurrier said. “We’ll talk about [who starts at tailback] as the week goes.”

Betts (fractured forearm) and Moore (foot injury) are listed as doubtful. Haley is listed as questionable with a fractured thumb and sprained shoulder, and Spurrier said his status was “somewhat doubtful” for Sunday’s game.

If Moore is unable to play, Lennie Friedman is expected to start at center for the second consecutive game.

Morton (sprained ankle) did not practice with the team Wednesday. He missed the Seattle game but had begun running again late last week. He is listed as questionable.

Lott (sprained ankle) also sat out practice. He was walking around Redskin Park wearing a protective boot on his injured ankle and is listed as questionable for Sunday’s game.

Rashad Bauman, who has missed the last two games with an ankle sprain, returned to practice. He is listed as questionable.

Archived