Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Panthers.com:From the Foxhole: Davis probable

TK

http://www.panthers.com/news/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=9834

From the Foxhole: Davis probable

November 12, 2003

Panthers.com

Comments from Carolina Panthers Head Coach John Fox following the team's practice.

On injuries: Stephen Davis is listed as probable, along with Jason Kyle and Mike Rucker. Those are the only three guys on the injury report.

On the possibility of Davis playing versus Washington: It will be real nice (to get him back). We are not there yet. Obviously, he has done a lot for us in the run game and is somebody that I think we are a better team when we have him.

On how badly Davis wants to play against the Redskins: Stephen always wants to play. He wanted to play last week. We have got to use good judgment. We have medical people that evaluate the injuries and we are going to do what is in the best interest of him and us long term.

On the substitution pattern at running back with Stephen Davis and DeShaun Foster: There is really no designated plan. It is not like we are going to go with a different guy on the second series. We run the starters until they get tired, and the next guy goes in. They get tired at points, especially after long runs. Maybe after a sustained drive. Six or seven plays into a drive, guys gasp a little bit. We just do our best to keep them fresh and we have confidence in all of them.

On practice: Our guys are focused. They understand that it is a week-to-week business, and we have got to show up and play well this week. They are well on their way to preparing for that.

On if he thinks the Panthers will have a letdown after defeating Tampa Bay: No. Our focus is now on the Washington Redskins. They have got a very capable team as they proved last week in beating Seattle. We are not going to take anybody lightly.

On the Redskins offense, which features many gimmick plays: It is their ball. They can do with it whatever they want. I am sure we will see some gimmicks. Most of the gimmicks that we have had problems with were in the special teams area, and we have played a lot of people since then.

On Washington offense coordinator Hue Jackson calling the plays instead of head coach Steve Spurrier: He has been on their staff. I am sure he has had input in their offensive scheme all season as well as last season. I am sure Coach Spurrier has his hands in it, too. I don't think they will deviate too much from what they have done thus far this season. It is just a different guy calling them. They are still the same plays. It is just when you call them. I don't think they are going to deviate much from what they have shown, just like most teams in the National Football League.

On the progress of wide receiver Kevin Dyson: Very good. He is making progress, getting back in football shape. He is getting back re-oiled up on our terminology and different movements and motions and routes. He is having his training camp now. He is somebody that we will take a hard look at here in the next couple of weeks.

On if Dyson will be added to the active roster this week: I don't know that yet.

On how much of an inspiration Mark Fields and Sam Mills have been to the team this season: I think it has been huge. Obviously when all of that happened, it came as a shock. We have the utmost respect for both individuals and understand that they have got a big fight in front of them. We feel like we can give them good therapy by going out and doing our business. Winning really helps. We are well aware of both of them.

Archived