Extremeskins

Redskins.com:No Doubts About This Thomas: He's Been Reliable

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12242

No Doubts About This Thomas: He's Been Reliable

11/11/2003

By Steve Butchock

Redskins Insider

Right guard Randy Thomas is the consummate pro. He plays football to win games, not for personal accolades. So the Redskins’ 3-5 record at the midway point was tough to take. But Thomas and the Redskins maintained their resolve, though, and the results showed Sunday in a gritty 27-20 win over the Seattle Seahawks.

No matter the situation this season, the 6-5, 306-pound Thomas has played solid football. His reliability has been a positive factor since he came to the Redskins from the New York Jets in the offseason as the prize guard of the free agent market.

After nine games this season, Thomas was playing at a level that should at least earn him Pro Bowl consideration. A year ago, the starter at right guard for the NFC was the Philadelphia Eagles’ Jermane Mayberry, who is out for the season with a left elbow injury.

The last two years, LaVar Arrington, Chris Samuels and Champ Bailey have represented the Redskins in the Pro Bowl. The last Redskin guard to make the Pro Bowl was Tre Johnson in 1999. Thomas has taken over Johnson’s position and No. 77.

Two weeks ago, Thomas matched up with the Cowboys’ Willie Blade and held him to one assisted tackle. Last Sunday, Thomas lined up against Seattle’s Cedric Woodard and limited him to three tackles. Thomas was also part of an offensive line that gave up no sacks for the first time this season and helped compile 137 rushing yards.

When asked about his chances to make it to Hawaii, Thomas responded: “I may get some consideration, but I don’t want to go anywhere if we’re not winning games. Personal accolades are not my thing. I don’t play for those, I just play to win. This league is full of competitive guys. To go to the Pro Bowl, it would be nice. But I’m not playing to go to the Pro Bowl. I’m playing to win games.”

The former second-round draft choice (57th overall) by the Jets out of Mississippi State is also durable in that he has missed three games in a five-year NFL career. He has started every game at right guard for the Redskins this season and has started 27 consecutive games.

The Redskins’ offensive line and pass protection plans as a whole have come under scrutiny in recent weeks, both in terms of sacks given up and for the number of penalties incurred. Not very often, though, has Thomas been the primary culprit.

“It’s football,” he said in his typical, matter-of-fact tone. “You block the man in front of you. You have to bring your skills to the table on every snap. As far as having difficulty with a new scheme, or a different game plan, making an adjustment is only a problem if you let it become one.”

Archived