Extremeskins

Redskins.com:Spurrier: 'Hue Did An Excellent Job'

TK

http://redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12237

Spurrier: 'Hue Did An Excellent Job'

11/10/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Steve Spurrier praised Hue Jackson for his play-calling in Sunday’s game against Seattle and said the offense would go with the same approach next week against Carolina.

Spurrier and Jackson have been sharing play-calling duties since the start of the regular season—although Jackson’s role in that capacity increased for the Seattle game. The Redskins defeated the Seahawks 27-20 with Jackson on the sidelines for the first time since the preseason.

“I think Hue did an excellent job on Sunday,” Spurrier said. “He’s been involved in the play-calling, but what we did differently on Sunday was bring him down to the sidelines. We let him call plays from there and he provided a little extra enthusiasm and energy.”

Said Jackson: “Like every good coach, you get into situations and you say, ‘Let’s try something different.’ I give Coach Spurrier all the credit in the world because the bottom line is, he said ‘Let’s let you take a run at it and see what happens.’ I’m just thankful that I work for a coach who says go take a run at it.”

Decisions, Decisions…

Spurrier’s decision to go for it on fourth and one at the Redskins own 27-yard line was certainly a crucial point in Sunday’s game. On Monday, Spurrier downplayed the importance of the decision.

“If we don’t make it, they score and kick a field goal, you could say that call lost the game,” he said. “But if they got it and scored, there was enough time left for us to hopefully go score, too.

“I know as a coach that when the other team punts on fourth and inches, I’m happy because the odds are you make most fourth and inches. Maybe you don’t make fourth and twos as often, but you should make fourth and inches.”

Extra Points

Matt Bowen could be held out for a few practices this week as he recovers from a concussion he suffered during the first half of Seattle’s game. Said Spurrier: “We’ll check his status before we play Carolina.”

Spurrier was disappointed with the kickoff coverage units. After Seattle’s Maurice Morris fumbled the opening kickoff, he reeled off returns of 35 yards and 32 yards. “We tried to line drive it to the wedge guys. They started on their 35-yard line and we were happy about that. That shows you how much confidence we had in our kickoff coverage. We’d been pretty good in that area most of the season, but we need to get better.”

Spurrier gave the players Monday off, although several were at Redskin Park to review film and work out in the weight room.

Center Larry Moore is “probably doubtful” for next Sunday’s game against Carolina, Spurrier said. His official status will be determined later this week. Lennie Friedman played in place of Moore in the Seattle game.

Archived