Extremeskins

#Redskins & #Saints Post Game Quotes & Notes

TK

Untitled-1_zpszgq0dnt2.gif

stripe%20break_zpsbyhm92qm.gif

REDSKINS HEAD COACH JAY GRUDEN

Opening statement:

"First off, we don’t have any injuries to note. [RB] Alfred Morris went out of the game with a sore rib and finished the game."

On the team’s performance:

“It was very impressive; I told them in the locker room it was our best week of practice. We practiced with great energy, great focus and it carried over to a game. It was great to see those guys all step up - offense, defense. Defense against a heck of a quarterback, heck of an offensive scheme over there. Stepped up and made some big plays. Of course special teams played well also.”

On QB Kirk Cousins’ performance:

“He was obviously very good. You have a perfect passer rating you’re going to be pretty good. But really the people around him… I think the offensive line did a good job. I think players took some short passes, turned them into big plays for him. He delivered the ball with efficiency, with great decision making and the results were outstanding obviously. Our running game helped out a little bit also. We were pretty balanced with our attack. I think we had 200 yards running the football and obviously 300-plus passing. It’s a grind. It’s hard to do that. Our offensive line was outstanding and obviously Kirk was the trigger-man.”

On the defense’s two interceptions:

"Yeah, it was great. You know, [LB] Perry Riley got put on the island a couple of times last week and wanted to redeem himself and he did that in a big way. I’m happy to see him make a big play, and obviously [Dashon Goldson] made a big play for the pick six. Defensive line was good, they got enough pressure on [QB] Drew [brees]. The sacks – I think we had two. I think he felt pressure and had to hurry some throws. I think the tackling was better, with the exception of the 70-yard run, we missed a tackle. On the whole I think our tackling was a lot better."

On how it feels to win after tough losses:

"Anytime you win in the National Football League against a team like New Orleans – coached by one heck of a coach that [has] done some great things over there – it’s a great win and I’m very proud of those guys. Now it’s about expectation levels, and their expectation level’s got to be higher. We play an undefeated Carolina Panthers next week. So they can enjoy this win for a few hours and then it’s back to work Monday and Tuesday. I’m very happy to get to 4-5, keep ourselves rolling, keep ourselves in this race in the NFC East and we’ll just go from there."

On whether the team’s high level of urgency came from coaching or last week’s loss:

"A little bit of everything. I think we went out last week… I think we played [with] good urgency last week, we just didn’t make some plays that we normally make – missed some tackles, dropped some balls. This week you see them - no drops obviously, great runs after the catch offensively and very few missed tackles. These guys really have been playing hard all season long. You can see their effort, you can see the way they practice – and it’s going to pay off for them. I keep telling them it’s going to pay off for them in the long run. We keep preparing, we keep practicing like we did last week, and the week before that, and the week before that, results will come."

On having success with the running game after stressing the importance of believing in it:

"It was excellent. It was good, and you notice that we didn’t have a lot of negative runs. We were stuck at second-and-seven, second-and-six, second-and-five – as opposed to second-and-10, so we were able to stick with it, and we were able to stick with our play-actions and we got our whole playbook basically. [OC Sean McVay] did a great job of getting this offense ready, getting it together [and] organized for Kirk. Kirk did a great job executing, but really it was a total team effort. You know, the offensive line, like I said, tight ends made some big plays. The backs made some big plays in the running game and in the passing game. We didn’t get Pierre [Garçon] very much involved today unfortunately, but he was good in the running game. [WR Jamison] Crowder made a big play. So, you look around the football team and I think everybody really executed what they were supposed to do and took advantage of the plays when they came – it was good to see."

On how big it was to see everyone on the offense contributing during this game:

"It’s big. It’s big to see everybody getting involved in the offense, and that’s the goal. That’s the intent every week. Unfortunately it doesn’t always work like that but, today, it was a good day for our offense. Very happy that they all had some touches and they all get a taste of success, you know, because some weeks it’s going to be somebody different. Next week it might be Pierre with 10 balls or whatever, but this offense is built where we can spread it around and get everybody involved, and whoever we’d like to match up the best or whatever the coverage dictates – he’ll get the ball. They all have to be ready for it and they were today.”

On how having a healthy secondary helped:

"We went out and brought [CB] Chris Culliver, we want him to play. He’s one of the best corners in the league. We feel like having him healthy is big. And [bashaud] Breeland – getting him back healthy is big. D-Gold [FS Dashon Goldson] can play a safety spot and [CB] Kyshoen [Jarrett] played a little bit of safety. We got [Will] Blackmon and D-Gold, so I think we started to see our best players back there in the secondary. D-Hall [CB DeAngelo Hall] was able to play some safety in dime situations. It’s good to have our horses back there. They played well.”

On if the heightened security was a distraction:

"Obviously, that is all on our minds. It’s a serious matter. As far as distractions come game day, there weren’t any. Our guys were focused on their job and moving forward and doing what they were supposed to do in order to get ourselves a victory in front of our home crowd. Our home crowd was outstanding today. They came out and it was loud. You could see [QB] Drew [brees] had some issues with communication from time to time. Overall it was a smooth process. Everybody focused in on the game and it was a good victory.”

On the execution of the downfield blocking:

"You saw people getting downfield blocking in the screens also, you saw the lineman getting downfield and making big, big blocks that we might have missed in weeks past. But overall, I think that offensive line was outstanding in all phases today. When you put out these type of numbers – rush for over 200 yards and throw for over 300, you can’t single anybody out. The offensive line played a heck of a football game. I’m very proud of them.”

On if he can see a progression of improvement:

"That’s the intent. We try to stay steady in our approach and keep trying to grind on these guys that the way they practice and prepare will pay off. Unfortunately, we were 3-5 before this game and it didn’t seem like it to a lot of people, but we could see it in the building. The guys are working extremely hard, and we are getting some of our key guys back from injury and the proof is in the pudding. Today, you can see what we can do. Now, it’s a matter of us taking this victory and building off a victory. We’ve had a bad habit around here of not being able to follow-up a victory with another victory, so it’s very important for us to get our frame of mindset today. This is what we can do – we are capable of doing this. We have to continue to practice hard and prepare and hopefully put another win back-to-back.”

On what they did different on defense:

"I think they made their minds up to make some big plays. They really did. They had a big stop on a third-and-one or fourth-and-one to start the third quarter. I think that was a huge play – a lot of momentum swing there. And then they made the interception for a touchdown and they had some big stops there in the second half. So, it’s a matter of them stepping up. Like I said, the pass rush was solid enough where it made Drew a little bit uncomfortable, then guys made some plays. We were fortunate with a couple. I think they dropped one on third down and they dropped another we got for the pick. It’s good to see our guys flying around the ball making some big plays.”

On how the media should view quarterback Cousins after the game today:

"You should write a positive article about him for once. The quarterback in the NFL is always under the microscope, and deservedly so. It’s the most scrutinized position in all of sports. He’s got the ball in his hands. He’s got the decisions on every snap of every game, and when a team wins or a team loses, he gets too much blame or too much credit. That’s the nature of the business. That’s what he signed up for. That’s what he wants, and that’s what you want as a quarterback. Kirk’s going to take his lumps, but he’s going to keep grinding. You can see the results starting to pay off. The most important thing a quarterback can do is put this game behind him, enjoy it with his wife tonight because next week the Carolina Panthers are going to have a whole different set of game plans for him. It’s going to be difficult, but he’s doing great. His progression, you can see it, and he’s doing a good job."

On if the Redskins have a history of playing down to competition:

"I don’t think we play down to any competition. Every team that I’ve seen is good to me. If you guys think that’s the case, I think you’re mistaken. We don’t play down at any level or any time. Everybody we play, we take very seriously. They’re well-coached, and they have good football players. It’s just a matter of trying to get our consistent production week in and week out. That’s going to be an important thing. It’s not going to be easy going on the road playing Carolina, but it’s something we’re going to try to do, focus on and improve on."

On the evolution of RT Morgan Moses and the addition of K Dustin Hopkins:

"Morgan Moses, when you’re talking about developing quicker than anybody, that’s Morgan, to be honest with you. I think he’s playing at a level of right tackle as good as anybody in the National Football League. I haven’t seen everybody, so it’s a pretty tough statement, but his development has been unreal. [Offensive Line] Coach [bill] Callahan has done an excellent job, and Morgan has done an excellent job working himself into this kind of shape. His technique is sound. He’s good in the running game. He’s done an excellent job. Morgan has solidified his spot as a right tackle in the National Football League for many, many, many years. As far as Dustin’s concerned, he’s been outstanding. He makes every kick, and every kickoff is pretty solid. We’re happy as heck that we got him. They’re both good players."

On using deep pass plays more in the future:

"They’ll come. They will. We had a situation in this game where we had a couple called that we didn’t throw, but that was a huge play to start the game. It was our opening drive of the football game. We had a third-and-five, and we were backed up. We got the ball to start; it was a huge play, a huge completion. It backed them up a little bit, which opened up a lot of the short passes which is why we started checking them down a lot. Their linebackers were getting a lot of depth, their corners were playing over the top, and they had a safety in the middle of the field sometimes, too. I think Kirk did a great job taking what was given to him and didn’t force any throws, but the deep ball will be a major part of our offense moving forward."

On getting RB Matt Jones involved in the passing game:

"Just what I told you, they really dropped deep with their linebackers, and we were able to take advantage with some underneath throws. The screens were outstanding, and the run after the catch was excellent. You look at the blocking on that, [LT] Trent Williams wasn’t even supposed to be out there, but he’s running down the field and made a key block. I think the running after the catch was great by Matt. He had three catches for 131 yards, so that was pretty good for the big fella. [RB] Alfred [Morris] had some catches out of the backfield; obviously, [RB] Chris Thompson did. When you’re taking those deep zone drops, those backs become very, very important. They did a good job taking advantage of it, and Kirk did a great job finding them."

REDSKINS QB KIRK COUSINS

On having a near-perfect game:

"Yeah, I mean I’ve had a couple before. I’ve been fortunate enough to be part of games like that before but it feels very gratifying. We had a great week of preparation and it carried over to Sunday. We said last Sunday that we’d have an edge to us coming out of the way the last game finished and we certainly did. It started Wednesday, or Tuesday, when we got back in the building and carried over into Sunday."

On playing against Saints QB Drew Brees and if he felt he had to outperform him:

“I think if I get in that mindset you put yourself in trouble, but at the same time there’s less room for error going against a really good quarterback. And fortunately, with the way we ran the ball and the way we were able to throw it we didn’t make those errors and we were able to put up enough points where we could come out with a win. But certainly when you play against great quarterbacks there’s less room for error.”

On how easy it was to get into a rhythm thanks to good play-calling:

“It felt easier to answer your question. To expand on that, when we execute and everybody does their part, good things happen, and it definitely feeds itself, you know it helps the play calling with the next play. It helps us all execute going forward, and we said that last week was more of a fluke than anything else and the guys made some phenomenal catches today and some phenomenal plays after the catch.”

On being able to distribute the ball to playmakers like WR Jamison Crowder and RB Matt Jones:

“Yeah, it helps a lot when you can just dump the ball off and the next thing you know it’s a first down and more.  It was good to see our screen game worked, running the ball worked, not just one type of run but several, and we spread the ball around and targeted a lot of different guys.  All of those I think are positives. It was just a great week.  But again, they all count one, 1-0 this week, but we’ve got a great challenge coming up in Carolina.”

On if this is the best he’s felt in an offense:

“Yeah, I think this offense does a great job.  When you look at the history of Jay [Gruden] in Cincinnati, he did a lot of good things. I think here it’s just a matter of having consistency and developing myself at the quarterback position and always helping an offense grow. When you can run the ball like the way we did today, it’s going to open up a lot of things for us in the passing game.  We’re just really pleased with the way everybody executed and the way it took all 11 out there to have the impact that we had.”

On the significance of hitting WR DeSean Jackson on the first drive:

"That’s a great question, very perceptive because I did think it was a shot in the arm for us. To be able to throw the ball accurately enough and convert to third down get us out of being backed up in our own territory and to get DeSean back and get going are steps that we want to take. It certainly got us going and gave us a spark and then we never looked back and we ran the ball so well from there and executed plays well and next thing we know we finished the game and I was on the sidelines watching."

On being aware of the score during the game:

“I think you’re aware of the situation and when you’re in the zone and things are going well, you’re just playing and your mind is free and you’re not allowing things to inhibit your play. But at the same time you try to be aware of the situation and I think we were aware of it. But then again, when you’re getting the ball off, the next thing you know it’s second-and-short or another first down and I mean it can really keep you at ease and that’s what happened today.”

On handling the ball better than last week:

“Well, I think by playing I’m getting better as a quarterback and I’m not going to be results-driven. I threw a few passes today that could have been picked off so I’m not going to go back and say, ‘Oh, I didn’t throw any interceptions today.’ I’m going to look back at the plays that could have been picked and say, ‘How do I prevent those from happening moving forward?’ I’m not going to be results-driven. There were plays the last couple of weeks that altered the game and there were picks that weren’t necessarily my fault and I don’t worry about those either. So, it’s great to not have turnovers but you have to look at the why and what caused them and also even when there weren’t turnovers today, what could I have done better to avoid the possibility of one. It’s a process, it takes time and I’m getting better as a quarterback and that encompasses a lot of things, not just protecting the football.”

On taking longer to get rid of the ball this week:

“I think it comes with playing because when you only play in practice, you’re wearing a yellow jersey so they can’t hit you. You don’t get a very good feel for the pass rush and you do the best you can but you’re limited and when you play several weeks in a row, it’s given me a better feel for the pass rush and how long I need to hold on to the ball. And sometimes I’m giving the pass rush too much credit and not sitting in there long enough and trying to get the ball out of my hands too quickly. So I think as I play I get a better feel of how much time I think there were a couple today where I held onto it and avoided throwing the ball into coverage and the offensive line created a great pocket where I can feel comfortable sitting there half-a-second longer, and as I play I get a better feel for them.”

On the importance of having previously injured players back:

“Having a lineup of our best players is going to help me and is going to help our offense and is going to help our play-caller. But you understand injury is a part of the game as you go through and you get further and further into the season, you have to be ready to win and play without certain guys. A lot of those guys who have been out, they’re now back and it helps. But we have depth no matter who’s out there and we have a lot of good depth on this team and we’re going to need that moving forward if injuries happen.”

On the running backs’ performance:

Well, I saw very good runs and breaking tackles and converting – Matt [Jones] for example, in the third-and-short got hit behind and with a second effort was able to convert the first down, so you love seeing runs like that. Once they’ve broken the open field, seeing them run away from guys and create a little bit after the initial contact or the initial block and the passing game, selfishly they did a great job helping me. They caught a couple routes underneath and took them down the sideline and the screen that Matt had. All three guys caught a couple passes and made a difference in the passing game and I love seeing those guys make plays because they’re all really talented and they can help us.”

On the growth of WR Jamison Crowder this season:

“Well he’s just a very talented player and he’s got the right mindset and I’m excited for him and he’s only halfway through his first year. It’s exciting to think about if we could all be back what would happen down the road working together and growing because he’s really talented and he’s a great teammate and a great worker. It’s fun to have weapons like that to throw to. It makes a difference and he was outstanding today.”

REDSKINS RB MATT JONES

On his 78-yard touchdown catch-and-run:

“We had it schemed up perfectly. We caught them in a defense we wanted to have them in and I give credit to my guard and center. They waited patiently and got out into the second level fast and gave me a good lead so I could make the cuts that I did. Our receivers finished downfield in terms of blocking. I got upfield and I was able to finish.”

On the difference in being able to run the ball this game:

“We came out and executed. It started with our offensive line. When our offensive line can get pushes like that off the ball on a great defensive line, we are capable of a lot.”

On his feeling facing the Carolina Panthers next week:

“We feel great. Like I said, we needed that game to go into an undefeated team like Carolina. We’re going to scheme up a great scheme and we’ve got to continue to execute as well as be consistent with it.”

On if the ‘MoJo’ duo [Alfred Morris and Matt Jones] is back in action:

“Definitely, Mo-Jo is back in action [laughter].”

REDSKINS TE JORDAN REEDstripe%20break_zpsbyhm92qm.gif

On his multi-touchdown performance:

“You know, I just focused all week, practiced hard and trusted in God. All glory to God.”

On what he saw on his first touchdown:

“It was just a great play call. I just had a slide route. It wasn’t anything special. Kirk [Cousins] just made the right throw. The coaching staff called the right play and I just took advantage of it.”

On how to take momentum into the Carolina game next week:

“We just have to have another great week of practice, believe in ourselves, trust in our ability and the rest will speak for itself.”

REDSKINS RB ALFRED MORRIS

On how the run game capitalized against New Orleans:

“Well, we knew that they were allowing over 100 yards per game. I think it was 120 — something like that. We knew we could run and we stuck with it. We came out with a plan. We were able to control the clock and we were able to continue to get drives going early. When you do that, you can keep the ball on the ground as much as you can. We were able to do that, not only on the ground, but, you know, just getting checkdowns and making big plays. Matt [Jones], obviously getting a couple checkdowns. Chris [Thompson], even Chris came in and got the ground game going. I’m thankful that we did get the ground game going and that we stuck with it. I’m looking forward to continuing this.”

On how he has improved his catching ability and yards after catch:

“I mean, just always being ready. It’s not a ‘You can’t catch’ thing, it’s more so like just a confidence thing. Just being confident even though you may not get it one game, it’s coming, you know, but always being ready for when it does happen. Yeah, man, I’m just glad I got the opportunity and I made the most of it, so can’t complain.”

On if this game was how they envisioned the offense since Week 1:

“Oh yeah, for sure. I’m glad, this week, we played a complete game today on every aspect. I’m just thankful we were able to get it going and it paid off, so no complaints.”

REDSKINS WR JAMISON CROWDER

On his first career touchdown:

“It feels great and even better that we got the win like we did. I’ve been waiting on that first touchdown, so I’m glad that I finally got it. Hopefully I can put in some more touchdowns as the season goes along.”

On carrying momentum into Carolina next week:

“I think if we just continue to practice like did last week, we’ll put ourselves into good position against Carolina. We know that they have a really good defense. You know, they’re undefeated, so obviously they’re doing a lot right. We just need to keep playing and be ready to prepare for a dogfight.”

On how they exploited the Saints’ defense:

“Everyone really just keyed in today and were on their assignments. We made some big plays today. Screens went for long. [RB] Matt [Jones] scored a touchdown on a screen. I think we put it together today.”

REDSKINS T TRENT WILLIAMS

On building offensive momentum heading into a game against Carolina next week:

“You know, 47 points is great, but we just want to get the win next week. So, we’re not going to speculate how many we’re going to get. We’re just going to try to go in there with the same mind frame and get a win.”

On preparing for New Orleans’ pass rush:

“We just upped the tempo in practice. You know, guys were on each other. We expected better from each other and I think it showed off today.”

On creating more running lanes for backs:

“We controlled the game, so we’re able to stick with the running game and it took off.”

REDSKINS LB PERRY RILEY, JR.

On their adjustments after giving up two early touchdowns:

“I mean, the two touchdowns we gave them were just busted plays. They got 80 yards on both plays. We just stayed together. You know what I mean? We knew they were busted plays. We were going to get over it and we could overcome it. The offense was doing good. We just didn’t panic. We stayed together and we executed the game plan down the stretch.”

On what he has seen from his teammates:

“My teammates have done great, especially the young guys. They have been doing great for us all year on offense and defense.”

On which players he wants to highlight specifically:

“You’ve got Kyshoen [Jarrett], who’s playing lights out on defense. He gives us a lot of snaps, each game, playing a different position. He’s done a great job at every role they ask him to play. You’ve got [RB] Matt Jones on offense. You’ve got [WR] Jamison Crowder. You’ve got [CB Quinton] Dunbar who has filled in at a couple games at corner. We have a lot of young guys that we’re asking to do a lot. They’re stepping up and playing at a high level. I mean, you can’t ask for more.”

On his interception:

“I mean, just preparation. We knew once they cross the 50, they like to take double moves and shots. The preparation to the field. They gave me a double move — out and up. I stayed with the tight end — look and lean. I saw the ball and I was able to come down with it.”

REDSKINS NT TERRANCE KNIGHTON

On the defense ‘buckling down’ after giving up 14 points early in the game:

“There was no reason to buckle down. We just missed a tackle on the big run, miscommunication on the long pass. We just kept doing what we were doing.”

On what he has seen from QB Kirk Cousins:

“He’s growing. He’s growing as a quarterback, as a leader. He’s playing with a lot of confidence right now. Like I’ve said before, ‘When the quarterback has confidence, it feeds throughout the team.’ We go as he goes.”

On being someone that commands double teams and how much it helps the secondary:

“I’m just doing my one-eleventh on defense. It was a good group effort today. On defense, we got a few turnovers. We finally got a turnover for a touchdown which we wanted. We confused a great quarterback, so all-around it was a good day on defense.”

REDSKINS DL CHRIS BAKER

On what the team did defensively to be successful:

“We just got off the ball, played our assignments that we were supposed to play. Our back end did a good job of covering their guys and allowed us the extra time to rush and we were able to cash in today.”

On what he has seen from the young players:

“We’ve got a lot of young guys out here contributing. Our team is finally getting back healthy. This is probably our first week healthy at our practices and playing all week. It showed today.”

On how he plans to enjoy the win and prepare for next week:

“Well, you just enjoy it. You enjoy the feeling. We know what we’re capable of. We can only let this excitement last for a day or two and then we’ve got to get ready for an undefeated Carolina team that’s really rumbling so far. We’ve got our hands full each week. This really felt good this week to get a win against a quality team.”

REDSKINS S DASHON GOLDSON

On how they were successful on defense after giving up 14 points quickly:

“Kind of what our Achilles heel was, we missed a couple tackles. We missed a tackle to cause a big run. [CB] Will Blackmon did a great job of hustling and going ahead and giving us a great chance to line up and play it again. We just started playing sound football after that. We limited our missed tackles. We were on a point with our game plan and we just stuck to it.”

On how he helped the secondary prepare for Saints QB Drew Brees:

“I just let them know what kind of guy he was. He was downhill – he is a chunk player, chunk quarterback. He loves the big play. That’s what they thrive on so I had to make sure, I mean, that’s what I told them, we’ve got to stay deep and we’ll break on everything else.”

On his interception returned for a touchdown:

“Well, it was a good play. It was a good play call by our coach. Good pass rush by our defensive lineman, credit goes out to them getting pressure on the quarterback. He saw a pass. He threw it. It was kind of a bad throw – I meant it was a little high. The deflection on the pass came on the receiver’s end. I came up with it and took it to the house.”

On how they will enjoy today’s victory while preparing for Carolina:

“The sky’s the limit for us. We’re going to take this win and we’re going to celebrate and then we’re going to come back to work this week. It speaks volumes. We’re playing good football. We’re playing good at home, especially. We’re going to have to start winning on the road.”

On what it means to see his fellow teammates be successful:

“It means a lot. We’ve got a lot of young guys. We’ve got a lot of young guys playing a lot of positions that we didn’t know that were going to be able to play this early but they’re doing a good job for us. There’s a reason why they’re here. There’s a reason why they’re here. Coach sees good in them and they’ve been working.”

blank%20header_zpsra63f0og.gif

Game Notes: Washington Redskins vs. New Orleans Saints

• The Washington Redskins defeated the New Orleans Saints, 47-14, in front of an announced crowd of 75,086 people at FedExField on Sunday.

• The Redskins’ 47 points and 33-point margin of victory were the team’s most in each category since recording 52 points in a 35-point win against the San Francisco 49ers on Oct. 23, 2005 (52-17).

• With seven games remaining in the 2015 regular season, the Redskins have already matched their win total from a season ago (four).

• The Redskins are now 4-1 at home this season. They extended their home winning streak to four games for the first time since 2012 (Weeks 11-17).

• The Redskins have posted four wins in their first five home games in a season for the first time since 2005, when the Redskins sprinted out to a 4-0 mark in their first four home games en route to a 10-win season and a playoff berth.

• The Redskins gained 514 offensive yards on 59 plays, the team’s highest yardage total since a 559-yard effort against the Atlanta Falcons on Nov. 10, 1991.

• The Redskins averaged 8.7 yards per play. The last time the Redskins averaged at least eight yards per play in a single game was Sept. 29, 1996 against the New York Jets (8.3).

• The Redskins eclipsed the 500-yard mark on offense for the first time since posting 511 yards of offense at Philadelphia in Week 3 last season.

• The Redskins gained 213 rushing yards, eclipsing the 200-yard mark for the first time since Nov. 3, 2013 vs. San Diego (209 yards, including overtime).

• The Redskins scored on eight of their 10 drives in the game. From the second quarter to the fourth quarter, the Redskins scored on six consecutive drives. According to the Elias Sports Bureau, prior to Sunday, the last time the Redskins had scored on six consecutive drives in a single game was on Dec. 30, 2001, a game also played against the New Orleans Saints.

• The Redskins converted 6-of-11 third downs (54.5 percent), the team’s best third-down conversion percentage in a game since Nov. 7, 2013 at Minnesota.

• The Redskins held Saints quarterback Drew Brees to 209 passing yards. Brees entered the game averaging an NFL-best 345.4 passing yards per game. As of the conclusion of Sunday’s 1 p.m. games, the Redskins remain one of three teams to have not allowed a 300-yard passer this season.

• Quarterback Kirk Cousins completed 20-of-25 passes for 324 yards with a career-high four touchdowns and no interceptions for a passer rating of 158.3.

• Cousins’ perfect passer rating (158.3) was the Redskins’ first perfect passer rating among quarterbacks with at least 20 attempts in records available dating back to 1950.

• Cousins posted the first perfect passer rating (158.3) of any NFL quarterback this season with a minimum of 20 attempts.

• Cousins finished the first quarter 9-of-9 for 116 yards and two touchdowns for a perfect passer rating of 158.3. He became the first Redskins quarterback to post a perfect passer rating in a first quarter with at least nine attempts in records available dating back to 1991.

• Cousins’ two first-quarter touchdown passes marked the first time the Redskins had thrown two passing touchdowns in the opening frame since Cousins accomplished the feat in Week 3 last season at Philadelphia.

• Cousins opened the game 10-for-10 for 127 yards prior to his first incompletion of the game in the second quarter.

• Cousins completed 17-of-20 passes for 295 yards and three touchdowns in the first half for a perfect passer rating of 158.3. The Redskins have had a quarterback record a perfect first-half passer rating in each of their last two meetings with the Saints (Robert Griffin III, Week 1 in 2012).

• Cousins became the first Redskins quarterback to throw three first-half touchdown passes since Robert Griffin III on Nov. 7, 2013 at Minnesota. He was the first Redskins quarterback to through four touchdowns in a game since Griffin on Thanksgiving Day in 2012 against the Dallas Cowboys.

• Cousins’ 295 first-half passing yards were the most by a Redskins quarterback in the opening two quarters of a game in records available dating back to 1991.

• With the performance, Cousins surpassed 5,000 career passing yards, becoming the 15th Redskins quarterback to throw for 5,000 yards with the team all-time.

• With his second touchdown of the day, Cousins became the 16th quarterback in franchise history to record 30 touchdown passes with the Redskins.  

• Cousins posted his seventh career 300-yard passing game. It was his third 300-yard passing game of the season, surpassing his previous single-season career highs of two, set previously in both the 2013 and 2014 seasons.

• Running back Matt Jones recorded a team-high and career-high 131 receiving yards on three receptions. He became the first Redskins running back to record a 100-yard receiving day since Nov. 6, 2011 (Roy Helu, 105 yards vs. San Francisco).

• Jones’ 131 receiving yards were the most by a Redskins running back since Dec. 16, 1962 (Dick James, 140 yards).

• Jones also added 56 rushing yards on 11 carries.

• Jones recorded his first career receiving touchdown in the second quarter, scoring on a career-long 78-yard touchdown reception.

• Earlier in the game, Jones had recorded a then-career-long 29-yard reception in the first quarter.

• According to Director of NFC Football Communications Randall Liu, Jones’ 78-yard touchdown marked the longest by a Redskins running back since Larry Brown on Nov 5, 1972 against the New York Jets (89 yards).

• The 78-yard touchdown from Cousins to Jones was the longest passing touchdown by the Redskins since Cousins’ 81-yard touchdown pass to DeSean Jackson in Week 3 at Philadelphia last season.

• Tight end Jordan Reed recorded two receiving touchdowns on three receptions, gaining 29 yards.

• The Redskins opened the scoring with a 10-play, 96-yard touchdown drive. The scoring drive was the Redskins’ longest since a 97-yard drive on Dec. 3, 2000 vs. the New York Giants.

• The drive culminated with a 16-yard touchdown pass from Cousins to Reed. At that point, the passing touchdown was the Redskins’ longest of the season.

• The touchdown pass set a new single-season career high for Cousins and extended his career-long streak of consecutive games with a touchdown pass to nine.

• Cousins became the first Redskins quarterback to throw a touchdown pass in each of the first nine games of a season since Joe Theismann in 1983.

• With the receiving touchdown, Reed became the first member of the Redskins to record a touchdown reception in three straight games since Pierre Garçon in Weeks 12-14 of the 2012 season.

• Reed became the first Redskins tight end with a touchdown catch in three straight games since Fred Davis accomplished the feat across four games in Weeks 12-15 of the 2009 season.

• Reed added another touchdown on an eight-yard pass from Cousins in the third quarter.

• The touchdown receptions were the eighth and ninth of Reed’s career and extended his career high in receiving touchdowns this season to six.

• The multi-touchdown game was the second in the lasts three games for Reed. He became the first Redskins tight end to post multiple two-touchdown games in a single season since Jerry Smith in 1970.

• Wide receiver Jamison Crowder recorded his first career touchdown reception on an 11-yard pass from Cousins in the first quarter.

• With the touchdown passes to Crowder and Jones, the Redskins had two rookies record a touchdown reception in a single game for the first time since Nov. 15, 2010 (Darrel Young and Keiland Williams vs. Philadelphia).

• Wide receiver DeSean Jackson recorded a 42-yard reception on the team’s first offensive possession. It was Jackson’s 49th reception of 40 yards or more since entering the NFL in 2008, the most in the league in that timeframe.

• Safety Dashon Goldson scored the team’s first defensive points of the season, returning an interception of Brees 35 yards for a touchdown.

• The interception was Goldson’s first as a member of the Redskins and the 16th of his career.

• The interception return for touchdown was the second of Goldson’s career and his first since Dec. 12, 2010 as a member of the San Francisco 49ers.

• The interception return for touchdown was the first by a member of the Redskins since Oct. 27, 2013 (DeAngelo Hall, 26 yards at Denver).

• Linebacker Perry Riley, Jr. recorded his first interception of the season – the second of his career – in the fourth quarter.

• The Redskins recorded two interceptions, marking the team’s second multiple-interception game this season (Week 5 at Atlanta).

• With the two takeaways, the Redskins have now recorded multiple takeaways four times in a five-game span for the first time since Weeks 4-8 of the 2010 season.

• In the second quarter, defensive end Stephen Paea recorded his first full sack as a member of the Redskins, dropping Brees for an eight-yard loss.

• Defensive end Chris Baker split a sack with linebacker Trent Murphy in the second quarter, extending Baker’s career-high sack total this season to 4.0.

• Kicker Dustin Hopkins converted a career-high 4-of-4 field goal attempts and has now converted a career-best 10 consecutive field goal attempts.

• Running back Alfred Morris gained a team-high 92 rushing yards on 15 carries. His 92 yards were his most in a game since posting 121 rushing yards in Week 1.

• The Redskins gained 394 net yards in the first half, the team’s highest total since a 419-yard first half against the Denver Broncos in Super Bowl XXII on Jan. 31, 1988.

• The Redskins’ 394 net yards in the first half were more than the team’s full-game total in seven of its previous eight games this season.

• The Redskins’ 272 net passing yards in the first half were their highest total in records available dating back to 1991.

• The Redskins also rushed for 122 yards in the first half, their most since a 132-yard first half against St. Louis.

• The Redskins did not turn the ball over for the first time this season. It marked Washington’s first game without a turnover since Week 5 last season vs. Seattle.

• The win marked the Redskins’ 596th all-time victory, including postseason play.

• The Redskins pushed their all-time series record with the Saints to 17-8. Washington has earned victories in four of their last five games against the New Orleans.

• Including a win vs. Tampa Bay in their previous home game in Week 7, the Redskins earned wins against consecutive NFC South opponents for the first time since defeating New Orleans and Tampa Bay in 2012.

blank%20header_zpsra63f0og.gif

SAINTS HEAD COACH SEAN PAYTON

On the game:

"Look, I’ll be brief. Obviously it was a poor performance. There wasn’t a lot, I’m sure, that we’re going to look at on that tape that we’re not going to be disappointed in. I have to give credit to Washington… I told the players, I said, ‘Hey, all things that we set out to accomplish in this game, I don’t know that we’ve checked one box off.’ We got a match of touchdowns early, and it went the other direction real quick.”

On potential changes to coaching staff after today’s loss:

"Again, we’re sitting here after a game… and we’re not going to discuss any of those types of changes, certainly not right now.”

On the reason for Washington’s success today:

"They got to the running back a few times and some man coverage and then, you know, all of the sudden the yards after the catch became significant. We didn’t do a whole lot well. We struggled tackling, and it seemed like one big play after another, screens… So, a few of those times were man looks where we weren’t able to stay with them.”

On their effort:

"We will be able to look at that on tape. We had a good week of practice, and I’ll be honest with you, I paid close attention to it. In the second half, I paid close attention to it. I think there was a lot of frustration and we will have a chance to see that. But, by and large, I don’t think that was the issue.”

On RB Mark Ingram not playing in the third quarter:

“He was still coming off of a nick in the first half and getting treatment, so he wasn’t back and ready yet.”

On if RB Marcus Murphy will get a chance to be the primary returner again:

“Well, he is. On kick returns we put C.J. [spiller] back there just to give us a little juice. I figure we are only going to have possibly two quarters, but he is in the punt.”

On if he is concerned about the defense:

“Listen, it is obviously a concern. It is hard to win.”

On his message to the team heading into bye week:

"We’ll see. It’ll be delivered tomorrow. So we’ll have a chance to look at this film and evaluate it, obviously. It’ll be good."

On if the defensive struggles impact the offense:

“Listen, I think that early in that game, we’re at 14 and then all of a sudden, quarterback gets hit a few too many times and we can’t convert a third down early. Our third down numbers weren’t that good and we were in third-and-long quite a bit so… it’s not because of ‘this,’ it was the other. We didn’t play well enough offensively.”

On if the team had a different defensive approach:

“Typically you would have a plan that might involve more certain personnel or certain man or zone pressures and that would vary week-to-week. We kind of knew that we were going to get a heavy dose of the running game and obviously we didn’t handle it well.”

On if his approach will change so far out from the playoff hunt:

“Listen, we’re approaching each week with our best opportunity to win football games period, and that’ll be every game. That won’t change. That won’t change. Our approach, our focus is going to be on the next game.”  

SAINTS QB DREW BREES

On positives from the game:

"Well, you look at the final score, [inaudible] you know we started off the game OK offensively. You know, it felt like the execution was pretty good. We got the big run from [RB] Mark Ingram on the first third down, which is great. To come away with a touchdown and then I think maybe the second possession or third possession, I can’t remember exactly, but we got the big play to [WR] Brandin Cooks. I think that tied it up at 14. Unfortunately after that there wasn’t too much good to speak of. I think our execution offensively needed to be much, much better but we were not very good on third down. And I can’t say that we didn't have our opportunities because we did. You know, we dropped two balls on third down, I missed a guy on third down, it’s another miscommunication on third down… and we need to convert those. That's what keeps drives alive and that's what will give us opportunities to gain points and keep our defense off the field, keep them somewhat rested and play complementary football. So we didn't do that well today. We didn't, it’s just not our standard. We know we can be much better in a lot of different areas. Hats off to them, they played a very good game but we got beat in all three phases. But I know there’s a lot better execution from us that needs to take place in the future.”

On any specific changes from the Redskins that made the game more difficult:

“I think we saw everything.”

On how to not focus on the losses:

“Well, we’re going into a bye week. So let’s all get healthy. Let’s recharge the battery, spend time with our families, get our bodies right and let’s get our mind right to. Come back to make a late-season run because we have to, we have no other choice.”

On the decisions to go for it on fourth down:

“Yeah, listen, we were down 30 points so I just waved them off. I said we need to go for it. So yeah, that was on me.”

On if he thinks there will be any coaching changes:

“No, I don't think so. I just think we need to get healthy.”

On if it puts pressure on the offense to perform well when the defense is struggling:

"No, we’ve just got to do our job. Offensively we are the same no matter what's going on on the other side of the ball. Whether they are scoring or not, our mindset remains the same. That is our great execution. Flawless execution is our standard. That's what we talk about, that's what we preach, that is what we expect out of ourselves. So when it is not that, it's not good enough."

On why things didn't click in all three phases today:

"Every team you play is really good, you know? You’ve got your game plan each and every week, and you got to execute it. Sometimes you execute better than others, we just haven't done a good job of it the past two weeks."

On how he leads his teammates to prepare for each and every game:

"First of all, the most important thing is to stick together. These are tough times and we get asked tough questions. Everyone wants to question our team, our talent and whatever else people want to question. Bottom line is we have a great team. Great group of guys, high character guys, with great leadership. Things haven't gone the way we want the past two weeks. Maybe it hasn't gone the way we envision the whole season. We are sitting here at 4-6. We thought that we would be better than that, but this book hasn't been written yet. The first half of the chapters has but not the last half. We have a lot to look forward to after the bye. I think the bye is coming at a very necessary time to get everyone healthy. We have been banged up a while now. I hope and believe we will have a lot of guys back who are integral parts of our success, both offense and defense, but more importantly as a team. Rebuild that mindset that all of the pieces are here, get back full strength and let's make a run at it."

SAINTS WR BRANDIN COOKS

On the team’s mindset entering the bye week:

"We go in hungry. We go in with a mindset that this is [the] time we get healthy and get some rest and start thinking about what we have to do to get better individually and as team."

On how they come together as a unit:

"I wouldn’t necessarily say come together because we are already there. Nothing separated us, good or bad, it’s just a matter of coming down to look ourselves in the eye, figuring out what we have to do better and that is all it’s going to be about."

SAINTS RB MARK INGRAM

On key points to take into the bye week:

"We have to do better, get healthy and everybody has to reevaluate ourselves and come out better."

On anything he wants to build on individually:

"I need to get better in all aspects – in executing, being more consistent and doing more to help us."

SAINTS TE BENJAMIN WATSON

On the offense slowing down after they were hot early:

"We didn’t score points; we couldn’t run the ball and had to punt the ball a couple of times. This [is] one of those games where you had to score points and we just weren’t able to."

On not going into the bye week with a win:

"Of course everybody wants to go into a bye with a win. You want to win period, but you really want to go into a bye with a victory that week. Not getting a win that week, you have that bad taste in your mouth for two weeks."

On winning three straight and now losing two:

"It’s definitely dispiriting when you lose all the time. It’s always dispiriting when you lose. It’s unfortunate because we thought we had a chance to win. Any time you lose is dispiriting but definitely when you are going into the bye."

SAINTS S KENNY VACCARO

On the loss:

"It’s a tough one especially going into the bye week. You want to have momentum [to] get back to .500. The fashion we lost was a little bit embarrassing. We have to go correct our mistakes."

On the short passes that turned into big gains:

“Screens, man. We gave up a lot of yards on screens and getting people on the ground. We have to tackle better.”

On if the outcome was a result of a lack of tackling or the Redskins’ execution:

“Those guys get paid too. They did a good job executing the screens. We all as a whole, on those screens, it’s a whole team effort. Everyone’s got to get to the ball and get the guy on the ground.”

SAINTS S JAIRUS BYRD

On the performance of the defense:

"That is kind of self-explanatory."

On the Redskins’ offensive execution:

“We didn’t make the plays we needed to make.”

SAINTS CB KEENAN LEWIS

On if he is injured:

"I’m straight. I’ll find out tomorrow."

On what was not working defensively:

“You have to give credit to them. They had a good game plan and they executed. No excuses, they played good.”

On why it has been such a tough stretch of games:

“It goes like that sometimes. You win sometimes, you lose. It happens. It’s football. It’s a game.”

Archived