Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Baltimore Sun:Redskins' Ramsey on the run in Fun 'N' Gun

TK

http://www.sunspot.net/sports/bal-sp.redskins09nov09,0,5356755.story?coll=bal-sports-more

Redskins' Ramsey on the run in Fun 'N' Gun

QB has been sacked 26 times in eight games

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Edward Lee

Sun Staff

Originally published November 9, 2003

ASHBURN, Va. - Lately, being the quarterback for the Washington Redskins has entailed more risks than rewards for Patrick Ramsey.

Ramsey, whose arm strength and passing prowess reminds some older Redskins fans of Hall of Famer Sonny Jurgensen, was supposed to be the point man in coach Steve Spurrier's Fun 'N' Gun attack.

But instead of dropping bombs, Ramsey has just been getting dropped. In eight games, Ramsey has been sacked 26 times - the second-worst mark in the NFL behind the Philadelphia Eagles and quarterback Donovan McNabb (28 sacks).

And Ramsey, Spurrier, the team's offensive linemen and everyone else know that the Seattle Seahawks will try to add to that total when they visit FedEx Field today at 1 p.m.

"It's logical thinking to know that," Ramsey said. "They're going to bring it. We're just going to find a way to beat it."

"It" is the blitz, and the blitz is what has aided Washington's four-game losing streak.

In that span, Redskins quarterbacks have been sacked 14 times, and the passing offense is averaging just 174.8 yards.

The blitz most recently doomed Washington (3-5) in its 21-14 loss to the Dallas Cowboys, who sent in their safeties and linebackers in an all-out assault on Ramsey.

It's why the offense had minus-11 passing yards in the first half and just 124 for the game. It's the reason Ramsey was sacked four times, forced to leave the game twice, and suffered a dislocated pinkie finger on his left, non-throwing hand.

So it's reasonable to expect more of the same from a Seattle defense coached by Ray Rhodes, who was defensive coordinator in Washington in 2000.

"He saw that," said left tackle Chris Samuels. "We struggled a bit the last game, so I'm expecting them to do it. But I'm confident that our coaches will get it fixed and come up with a good scheme."

The Seahawks (6-2) aren't exactly a blitzing team. This season, Seattle has collected just 16 sacks, five more than the Redskins' anemic pass rush.

But the Seahawks have allowed opposing offenses to gain just 195.8 yards a game through the air. A secondary that has snatched five interceptions also could give linebacker Chad Brown (team-high four sacks) and defensive end Chike Okeafor (three) enough time to penetrate the pocket.

Injuries are wreaking havoc on Washington. Left guard Dave Fiore, a high-priced free agent, will miss the rest of the season with a stubborn knee injury.

Center Larry Moore is listed as doubtful with a sprained foot, and running backs Ladell Betts (fractured forearm), Chad Morton (high ankle sprain) and Sultan McCullough (broken hand) also might miss the game.

Another issue has been Washington's blocking schemes. Since tight end Robert Royal went down for the season with a hip injury last month, the Redskins have not found an adequate fill-in, and the running backs have been woeful at picking up blitzing linebackers and safeties.

The impact is less time for Ramsey to read the defense, set his feet and throw.

"If you watch these other quarterbacks around the league, they stand there and nobody's within 3 yards of them, and they make their throws," Spurrier said. "Patrick hasn't been in that position all that much."

Ramsey has prided himself on his resiliency, but Spurrier knows that if Ramsey - who has endured a bruised shoulder, hip and hand - goes down for a substantial amount of time, the backup is Tim Hasselbeck, who threw his first NFL pass last week.

"Every time [Ramsey] gets hit, we wince," Spurrier said. "I feel like I'm getting hit. We're trying not to let that happen."

"He saw that," said left tackle Chris Samuels. "We struggled a bit the last game, so I'm expecting them to do it. But I'm confident that our coaches will get it fixed and come up with a good scheme."

This guy still doesn't get it. It's NOT just the coaches. Samuels was on his back a LOT during the game last week. He got beat a LOT. Plain and simple.

No, I'm not saying there isn't a problem with the scheme. But the coaches aren't out there blocking. It just shows you how immature this kid is. He needs to point fingers at both the coaches and himself.

Archived