Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins Team Report: Season on the brink

TK

http://www.zwire.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=10478505&BRD=1710&PAG=740&dept_id=353124&rfi=6

Redskins Team Report: Season on the brink

(Sports Network) - Steve Spurrier was supposed to be the answer to all the Redskins' problems. The old ball coach, who had never led a professional team, moved to D.C. with high hopes.

Year 1 was a disappointment, but forgivable. Year 2 started with a bang, but has fallen apart and Spurrier is beginning to lack job security. On Sunday, Spurrier will attempt to secure some support from owner Daniel Snyder when he leads the Redskins against the Seattle Seahawks at FedEx Field. Since a 3-1 start, the Redskins have dropped four consecutive games to fall into the cellar of the NFC East. Ironically, the offense has been the problem for Spurrier, who was considered an offensive genius at the University of Florida. Even Spurrier's patented Fun 'n' Gun hasn't been enough to pull the offense out of the doldrums. "I'll do anything to try and win a ballgame," said Spurrier. "We've changed a lot from the style of play we used to have because when you don't make many first downs like we have the last few games -- I mean, we have a whole bunch of plays we haven't even called yet because we're not out there that much. You have to have some success to have more success." Washington missed a golden opportunity to get back into the East race this past week, as it dropped a 21-14 decision to the first place Dallas Cowboys at Texas Stadium. The Redskins' offense couldn't take advantage of four Dallas first half turnovers. "We're struggling a bit right now," Spurrier said. "Sure we have to make some adjustments here and there. Early in the year, we were moving the ball a lot better." BATTERED PATRICK The Redskins' offensive problems begin with the offensive line and the lack of protection for quarterback Patrick Ramsey. On the season, Ramsey has been sacked 26 times and the team has surrendered an NFL-high 29 sacks. "We're struggling on offense. We're trying not to get Patrick hit, we called a bunch of max protections. I guess we got confused or they brought a guy from a different area and we weren't smart enough to pick it up," Spurrier said after his team allowed four sacks to the Cowboys. "We all accept responsibility if we can't find out where they're coming from. That's the way it happened." With the constant beating, Ramsey has suffered numerous injuries, including a bruised left forearm and a dislocated little finger on his left hand. Despite the injuries, Ramsey plans on being in the lineup for this game. "I'm sore [but] not anything that's going to keep me from playing," Ramsey said. Washington is particularly weak inside with young left guard Derrick Dockery holding down the fort for veteran Dave Fiore. Mental lapses and penalties have characterized Dockery's tumultuous campaign. Making things worse for the Washington offensive line, it may be without starting center Larry Moore (sprained right foot) this week. Lennie Friedman likely would start in his place. Off-the-field issues are hampering the Redskins' offensive improvement, as Spurrier and offensive line coach Kim Helton are constantly verbally sparring. The disagreements between the two have caused a breakdown in communication and it has shown on the field. UP NEXT: Washington begins a two-game road trip at Carolina next week

Archived