Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Right Side Holds Its Own Against Suh, Wake

OK, first the caveat - Please do not misunderstand the following information/comment as saying we don't have to worry about penalties. I listed penalties as one of the 4 keys to the game. However, I did some research and found some interesting things:

Last year as expected we were the 4th worst team in the NFL for penalties at 7.5 a gm. What's interesting is the #1 team???  The Seattle Seahawks at a horrible 8/gm!  The NE Patriots were # 6 at 7.4/gm, just barely better than us! So should they fire Belichick and Carrol for having such undisciplined teams?

Oh and who was the best team? Jacksonville at 4.0! Followed by NO, Miami and Carolina.

For 2013 - Again it was Seattle! That's 2 yrs in a row! NE was much better at 2nd best.

2012 - St Louis was worst with the Ravens at #2 worst!! 

So the last 3 SB winners were - 2nd, 1st, and 6th worst in penalties. Things that make you go hmmmm.

Here is the link:  https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game?date=2013-02-03

Go - Don't want you take it in the wrong way but the 3 methods to be winners,

in no particular order, are:

1) Discipline, which includes minimizing excessive penalties, interceptions, and fumbles.

2) Talent

3) Coaching

All team have bad penalty periods, but when they are a big part of losing and are constant (all last year and our first games of this year) it is not a good thing.

The Redskins were the better team yesterday, they were also the losers and that is called playing stupid and stupid is hard to overlook.

Sorry buddy, but I will be relentless until we get these problems solved. 20+ years of losing is quite enough.

With all due respect, you must have missed my very first comment. I keyed not making mistakes including penalties as one of the 4 keys to the game. I also said very specifically that I am in no way saying You know it is possible to believe there is a problem without having tunnel vision. I am in total agreement that penalties are bad and need to be fixed. I never, never, never anywhere said anything otherwise.

Everyone wants to trash JG for anything that's not good but they (meaning people not you personally) will not give him credit for the good things. Joe Barry has already changed that D. Don't look now but we are 4th in total D! This was against last years 14th ranked Off who is expected to be a top 10 this year.

How about those draft picks people went all the hell about! And that's not just Scot doing that. One thing that is clear to me is there is a team in place now. They are all working together. I see signs of team work all over the place. Listen to Jay every time he talks about a move they made. It's always,  We felt.... We think he.....  

Also, how about Jay realizing he needed more help and worked with Scot to bring in some top assistant coaches? Joe Gibbs had more assistant coaches than anyone in the game. Jay seems to be seeing the value in that.

My goal is just to keep things even keel. That's all. We are not a very good football team yet. We have a lot to work on. But it is being addressed. I fully expect penalties to improve as the year goes on. If they don't and it doesn't appear we are getting coached up properly for each game, then I will be all for removing Jay. But not mid-season, not ever, You will never get good hires here doing that.

I can be just as relentless....  :angry:  :lol:   In case it's not obvious, that was meant to be a joke.

GO - I am sorry it gets you angry but 20 + years of stupid plays and it is time to hold people accountable for their mistakes.

Yesterday was a repeat of last year, but with a whole lot better team - they were by far the best team on the field, but still a loser.

Discipline was missing on the Redskins, including execution (thanks man for pointing out that part).

The head coach is the CEO and has to do 2 important things -

1) hire good assistants and

2) instill discipline.

The game was lost because of an absence of discipline and someone needs to take the hit, since it is Gruden's responsibility to instill discipline he takes the hit. He needs to correct his incompetence or get fired.

Sorry again, but to my way of thinking it is time to hold people accountable for their failures. If Gruden has to walk the plank, he earned it.

HTTR that win

GO - I am sorry it gets you angry but 20 + years of stupid plays and it is time to hold people accountable for their mistakes.

Yesterday was a repeat of last year, but with a whole lot better team - they were by far the best team on the field, but still a loser.

Discipline was missing on the Redskins, including execution (thanks man for pointing out that part).

The head coach is the CEO and has to do 2 important things -

1) hire good assistants and

2) instill discipline.

The game was lost because of an absence of discipline and someone needs to take the hit, since it is Gruden's responsibility to instill discipline he takes the hit. He needs to correct his incompetence or get fired.

Sorry again, but to my way of thinking it is time to hold people accountable for their failures. If Gruden has to walk the plank, he earned it.

HTTR that win

Woooooooo there my friend!   Angry? Not even close. It's football. Just a game. It's clear we have different points of view here but I am taking any of this personally and I hope you are not either. Nothing is meant thatg way.

We are not as far off as you may think. I agree with the general premise. My only difference is 1 or 2 gms with a lot of new players, many new coaches and a new GM is just not a reasonable expectation. I am just willing to be a little more patient. And when I say a little, I mean a little. I expect to see noticeable difference by the middle of the season in terms of penalties and careless mistakes.

But let's not kid ourselves. They are going to be mistakes. Aaron Rogers has had 4 and 5 interception days as have Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. 

Here is the real issue. It's the losing, not really the penalties and other stuff. All we have to do is win some games and a lot of this will go away.

Also, in the end, what can we really do if the FO thinks differently? It's not like we can fire Jay ourselves.... lol  

HTTR!!

But let's not kid ourselves. They are going to be mistakes. Aaron Rogers has had 4 and 5 interception days as have Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. 

Mistakes in any one game are not my issue, they are going to occur and some games more often than others. However, we have a year and a game to evaluate Gruden and the absence of discipline (excessive turnovers and penalties plus failed execution) is a characteristic of his term during that period as head coach.

The first game of this season was a lost to a lesser team because of an absence of discipline, a continuation of last year's pattern (except for the better team part, thanks Scot). 

My take, until proven wrong (I welcome it), is he is continuing his losing ways. I don't mind him being a loser if he chooses that path, I just don't want to be involved and since the Redskins are my team, I am involved.

Time for a change called winning. Sorry but I am hard headed and without patience about winning. 

Mistakes in any one game are not my issue, they are going to occur and some games more often than others. However, we have a year and a game to evaluate Gruden and the absence of discipline (excessive turnovers and penalties plus failed execution) is a characteristic of his term during that period as head coach.

The first game of this season was a lost to a lesser team because of an absence of discipline, a continuation of last year's pattern (except for the better team part, thanks Scot). 

My take, until proven wrong (I welcome it), is he is continuing his losing ways. I don't mind him being a loser if he chooses that path, I just don't want to be involved and since the Redskins are my team, I am involved.

Time for a change called winning. Sorry but I am hard headed and without patience about winning. 

I get it. I really do. But you are not changing my mind no matter how many times you say it....  :P I am clearly not changing yours so let's agree to disagree. Fair enough?

IMO we need 6 to 7+ wins for this yr to be acceptable, not good but acceptable. But no matter the wins I want to see consistent improvement. Just get better each game.   HTTR!!!! 

GO - do my best to change your mind but accept that it is not always possible.

The Redskins biggest problem is that on some of the other blogs my opinions would be considered positive; that is a problem they have no choice but to deal with as irritating their fan base is never a good option. The University of Texas AD learned that today the hard way, fired after a little over a year with a rousing good riddance from the fans.

Archived