Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Daily Press:Redskins decide to talk it over

TK

http://www.dailypress.com/sports/dp-05647sy0nov06,0,2667101.story?coll=dp-sports-local

Redskins decide to talk it over

By Warner Hessler

Daily Press

Published November 6, 2003

ASHBURN -- Saddled with a four-game losing streak, and pelted daily with media reports concerning the future of coach Steve Spurrier and his staff, players on the Washington Redskins on Wednesday decided to perform the football equivalent of circling the wagons.

At some point before this Sunday's home game against the Seattle Seahawks, the players said they are going to hold their first team-wide, players-only meeting in an effort to increase their resolve to perform better, stick together as a team, and shut out the negativity that surrounds them.

"I don't think a team meeting is a sign we're in trouble," center Larry Moore said, "but if somebody has something to say, it will help him to get it off his chest."

The Redskins held a team meeting with the coaches late last season, when some of the defensive players complained that Spurrier spent all of his time with the offense. And the offensive players held a meeting without the coaches on Oct. 8. But full, players-only meetings like the one planned this week are a rarity.

Some of the players interviewed, such as Moore, believe a meeting is necessary as the team heads into the last half of the season with a 3-5 record. Others aren't so sure.

"What is there to address in a meeting?" cornerback Fred Smoot asked. "The only thing to talk about is why are we losing, and you can only talk about it so much. All that talk, and 200 hours of community service, won't change anything.

"If they want to meet and talk, count me in. I do know how to talk. But if they just want to meet, I suggest each player go home, meet with himself, and ask what he can do to help turn things around."

Unlike Moore, receiver Darnerien McCants views a team meeting at this juncture as an act of desperation.

"If it were up to me, I would have a team meeting every week and make sure everybody was on the same page," McCants said. "A team meeting shouldn't have to be a last hope, where we're struggling and use it as a last minute attempt to fix problems."

Spurrier, who is being paid $5 million per year to supply the answers, is becoming increasingly besieged by criticism of his team and speculation about his coaching future after he finishes the second year of a five-year contract.

Wednesday morning, columnist Cindy Adams of the New York Post said she got it on good authority that owner Dan Snyder had decided to fire Spurrier after the season and had already had a conversation with a former NFL head coach. Snyder could not be reached for comment.

It was just another in a long line of reports from unnamed sources, the kind that led Spurrier last Sunday to say he believes the leak "may be within our organization."

Spurrier didn't put up much of a fight when asked to respond to Adams' report.

"The gossip could be true, and it could be wrong," Spurrier said. "Who knows? I don't listen to it. This is expected when things go bad, and I'm probably an easy target."

Bailey said the players try to block out rumors and negative stories, but they are aware of what's going on.

"Every team has somebody who leaks something out," he said. "I'm not surprised around this place."

Former Redskins running back and current NFL commentator John Riggins, appearing Wednesday morning on WTEM in Washington, said Spurrier looks to him like a guy who knows the end is near but is not going to walk out on the last three years of a $25 million contract.

"It's all about money, how much will Steve Spurrier settle for (in a buyout)," Riggins said. "His body language clearly tells me he is not in control of his destiny or his ship. He's lost his confidence, lost his swagger."

Warner Hessler can be reached at 247-4648 or by e-mail at whessler@dailypress.com

Archived