Extremeskins

Redskins.com:Game Preview: Redskins at Cowboys, Week 8

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12210

Moore Hopes to Play; Ramsey Probable

11/05/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Center Larry Moore is listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game against Seattle, but he said Wednesday that he hopes to be able to play. Moore suffered a sprained ankle in last Sunday’s game against Dallas.

“I think I’ll be able to go on it,” Moore said. “Sometimes during games pain goes away. You get out there, the adrenaline starts pumping and you just go from there.”

The seventh-year center sat out practice on Wednesday. Head coach Steve Spurrier said backup Lennie Friedman could get his first start of the season if Moore can't play.

The Redskins injury report is more extensive than it’s been all season. Complete Injury Report. Fortunately, tailback Ladell Betts is the only other player listed as doubtful for the game.

Quarterback Patrick Ramsey is listed as probable with a bruised left (non-throwing) forearm and bruised left pinky finger. He practiced on Wednesday and is expected to play in the Seattle game.

“Patrick threw the ball pretty well today [at practice],” Spurrier said. “He was banged up and bruised a little bit after the Dallas game. We put some ice on [his forearm/finger]. He’s a quick healer.”

Spurrier said the offense continues to work on protection schemes so that Ramsey can become more comfortable in the pocket.

“We need to get him more room to throw,” Spurrier said. “When you watch other quarterbacks around the league, they can step in there with nobody within three yards of them and make the throw. Patrick hasn’t been in that position all that much.

Spurrier added: “There’s no question that when he gets hit, we wince. I feel like I’m getting hit. We’re trying not to let the hits happen. We’ve got to protect him better.”

Ramsey said that he has not become tentative in the pocket due to the number of hard hits he’s received. He has been sacked 26 times, second most in the league.

“I feel okay this week,” he said. “Surprisingly, every time I think I’m going to be banged up, I feel fine by Wednesday. I’m going to continue until I don’t think I can go anymore—and I don’t think I’m close to that.”

Among the other notable injuries: linebacker LaVar Arrington is listed as probable with a bruised knee and wrist injury; cornerback Fred Smoot is probable with a bruised sternum; defensive tackle Jermaine Haley is questionable with a sprained shoulder and fractured thumb; cornerback Rashad Bauman, who sat out the Dallas game, is still questionable with a sprained ankle; and backup safety Todd Franz is questionable with a sprained ankle.

For an update on injuries to the Redskins running backs, click on Simon Gets A Second Chance With Redskins.

Extra Points

The Redskins signed offensive lineman Pita Elisara to the practice squad this morning. He joined the team for practice Wednesday afternoon. Elisara, 6-4 and 305 pounds, appeared in all four pre-season games for Washington in 2003. He also played with Philadelphia in 2002 and New York Giants in 2000, but was released prior to the regular seasons. He played a full season in NFL Europe in 2002 with the Scottish Claymores.

The Seahawks injury report is significantly shorter than the Redskins. Defensive tackle Norman Hand is listed as doubtful with a bicep injury. Wide receiver Koren Robinson is questionable with a sprained ankle. Linebacker Chad Brown and safety Ken Hamlin both are questionable with foot injuries.

Archived