Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ny Post:spurrier Stirs Up Chaos In Capital

TK

http://www.nypost.com/sports/42296.htm

SPURRIER STIRS UP CHAOS IN CAPITAL

November 5, 2003 -- GRIDIRON GURU

George Willis

IN the aftermath of the Redskins' latest debacle, a 21-14 loss to the Cowboys in Dallas, Steve Spurrier stood before the media and declared, "I don't see any finger pointing," from within the organization. Whom is he kidding?

Truth is, fingers are flying at Redskins Park, not all of them pointed horizontally. From the constant meddling by owner Dan Snyder to Spurrier's flawed coaching, the Redskins are on the verge of complete implosion, having lost four straight games to tumble to 3-5 heading into Sunday's game against the Seahawks (6-2) at FedEx Field.

While Spurrier vows "to keep scratching and clawing," more than a few players would like to scratch and claw at the Ol' Ball Coach, whose success at the college level hasn't transferred to the NFL. He has feuded with his assistant coaches in recent weeks and now his players are starting to second-guess his use of personnel.

The latest malcontent is 40-year-old Bruce Smith, who for the first time in 17 years was not in the starting lineup against the Cowboys.

"I don't know what the game plan was as far as the coaching staff was concerned, but this decision was made by Steve Spurrier," Smith said, obviously pointing his own finger.

Former Giants linebacker Jessie Armstead said the situation at Redskins Park has grown "desperate" and wants the players to hold themselves accountable.

"Just check yourself," he said. "You know deep down inside if you're the one."

Spurrier's pass-happy Fun 'N Gun has been no fun for quarterback Patrick Ramsey, who is taking a beating. He was sacked four times, and pummeled throughout the game by a blitzing Cowboys defense.

The second-year quarterback has been dropped 26 times this season, and the Redskins' lack of discipline has them on pace to break the NFL season record of 158 penalties.

"We went into that [Cowboys] game and I tried as hard as I could to help us win it," Spurrier said. "We thought we had a solid plan that didn't work as well as we'd hoped."

An impatient Snyder hasn't helped matters with his constant meddling. The George Steinbrenner wannabe brought in veteran coaches Joe Bugel and Foge Fazio to look at film and "consult" with Spurrier. If the Redskins continue this freefall, Spurrier may not be around next season even though he has three years remaining on his $25 million contract.

Spurrier insisted on Monday, "I'm sticking on my three-year deal." But Snyder isn't one to endure being the laughing stock of the league. Of course, all the chaos in the Capital is good news to the Giants (4-4). With the Redskins self-destructing, they only need worry about catching the Cowboys (6-2) and the Eagles (5-3) in the NFC East.

GAMES OF THE WEEK

Four footballs

Miami (5-3) at Tennessee (6-2). Best match-up in an otherwise lame week. Tampa Bay (4-4) at Carolina (6-2). Defending Super Bowl champs could find themselves scrambling just to make playoffs.

Three footballs

Baltimore (5-3) at St. Louis (5-3). Brian Billick and Mike Martz match wits and egos. Philadelphia (5-3) at Green Bay (4-4). McNabb vs. Favre. The battle of the injured thumbs.

Archived