Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

coincidence?

Stone Cold

just curious how many teams that employ or have employed in the past "rookie" qbs as starters also have "terrible" ol and blocking schemes?

an interesting, perhaps meaningless, tidbit of info. i seem to remember the colts setting a new sack record in manning's rookie year. david carr???...hammered last season. not too sure what to read in to this or if there's really anything to it, but i'd bet it's not coincidence.

It's not a coincidence.

The only exceptions I see are teams committed to a running game.

Boller up in Baltimore isn't haveing nearly the year Ramsey is stats wise, but he's not taking the beating either. He's actually shown a fair amount of improvement too.

Your right, this is no coincidence.

Young QB's struggle with the blitz. They struggle with getting rid of the ball, they struggle with calling the right protections. Most of this is due to our young qb, which is why i think people need to leave Spurrier alone.

Two thoughts -

1. Young QB's are going to face many more blitzes than veteran QB's since the young guys haven't proven they can beat the blitz and the odds are they are not up to speed with the offense, opposing defenses, and general speed of the game.

2. I don't think anyone can say Ramsey's career will be ruined by getting hit so much unless he is inured, which could happen to any QB. Aikman took a beating early on, hell he took a beating even with the great line he had. Aikman may not have been sacked nearly as much, but it ended his career early. Manning was sacked a ton in his early years, he seems to be doing ok now. I think all of us would agree that it is better for Ramsey and this offense if he is given better protection, but to say his career will be ruined is a joke unless someone has a crystal ball.

Originally posted by TankRizzo

Well...typically if you draft a QB that you would be willing to start then you had a pretty high draft choice, which could also indicate that you have a pretty crappy team. Both Carr and Manning were taken with the first pick in the draft.

Coincidence? ;)

I was thinking the same thing. If you are starting a rookie or second year QB, your team is not very good.

i just find it hard to believe that schematically, the fun n gun is that flawed. hard to believe with that much talent, the ol can't at least get in the way. i think alot of this has to be put on young patrick and i'm sure he knows it. i think ss has done a great job of shouldering alot of the blame for our offenses ineptness. what i do think he needs to do is perhaps simplify a little for patrick's health sake. reading an nfl defense is not easy. having a full grasp of ss offense and executing it against a defense in gametime situations is not easy...especially for a very green qb. i think with time, the last thing teams will want to do is blitz us and this will be a non issue. just hope patrick doesn't get killed in the process.

And also, for any morons that thought that cutting Wuerffel was "good" for Ramsey and for SOS, this is what you get. I will bet my paycheck that Patrick wishes he had Danny on the sideline to come to and ask questions. If he had him, then maybe SOS could watch Defensive Tackles instead of trying to explain to the young QB about each blitz that he just misread.

Originally posted by Skins26

Your right, this is no coincidence.

Young QB's struggle with the blitz. They struggle with getting rid of the ball, they struggle with calling the right protections. Most of this is due to our young qb, which is why i think people need to leave Spurrier alone.

No, this is the exact reason we don't leave Spurrier alone. Spurrier knows that he is having trouble picking up the blitz. So what is the easiest way to stop a team from blitzing? Run the ball more. We don't do that. I'm not saying to feature the run, but if you pass the ball 30 times, well then you need to run the ball 30 times.

Spurrier knows that Ramsey is struggling with calling the right protections, yet he continues to want Ramsey to audible. Tell the kid to use the play given.

The only part of this that isn't really Spurrier's fault is Ramsey holding onto the ball too long. This is something that Ramsey will learn with experiance.

I remember John Madden saying one time that when you have a young,rookie QB that it takes about 12-14 games(starting) to learn what he needs to do in a game. If he comes out the other side of that,then you'll start seeing what you've got . How many starts has Ramsey had? 10-11? I know it's not an exact science but I think the guy is still learning.

Originally posted by DieselPwr44

I remember John Madden saying one time that when you have a young,rookie QB that it takes about 12-14 games(starting) to learn what he needs to do in a game. If he comes out the other side of that,then you'll start seeing what you've got . How many starts has Ramsey had? 10-11? I know it's not an exact science but I think the guy is still learning.

I personally can't put much blame on Ramsey's shoulders because he is a young QB and he has just been getting pounded play after play. This kid keeps getting back up and taking another snap, which I applaud a great deal. I haven't met Ramsey, but every indication is he is very intelligent, but could playing at Tulane cause him to adjust to the NFL level slower? Without checking exactly who Tulane played while Ramsey was there, I doubt he was playing against the top college talent each week, let alone NFL caliber players.

Archived