Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Duke to interview 4 or 5 candidates

TK

Duke to interview 4 or 5 candidates

BY AL FEATHERSTON : The Herald-Sun

afeatherston@heraldsun.com

Nov 3, 2003 : 11:10 pm ET

Duke athletics director Joe Alleva said Monday that he has been flooded by applications for the Blue Devil football coaching job, but that interim coach Ted Roof has helped his chances since replacing Carl Franks on Oct. 19.

"Coach Roof has done a terrific job," Alleva said. "He's brought unity to the team and he's brought terrific enthusiasm to the team. I'm really proud of the job he's done. Ted Roof will be a candidate for the job. He'll be one of four or five people we'll interview for the job."

Alleva wouldn't discuss specific candidates, although he made a couple of exceptions. He said in response to questions that neither former Georgia Tech George O'Leary nor former Washington coach Rick Neuheisel would be on his list.

And he joked that Washington Redskins and former Duke and Florida coach Steve Spurrier was out of his price range.

"I talk to him a lot," Alleva said, admitting that he has asked Spurrier if there was any interest in returning to Duke. "I wasn't joking. He's happy where he is. He's a terrific coach and if they give him time, he's going to be fine."

Roof has guided Duke to two losses as interim head coach -- a narrow 28-21 home loss to N.C. State and a surprisingly competitive 23-6 loss at Tennessee. Roof has also convinced at least two current members of the team that he should get the permanent job.

"He's the man for the job," senior offensive lineman Luke Bayer said. "We just need to win some ballgames."

Senior defensive back Kenneth Stanford was also endorsed the Devils former defensive coordinator.

"I definitely think [he should get the job]," he said. "He's like a father figure. He cares for his players. It's not just a coach-player [relationship]. It's like a father-son or friend-to-friend type of relationship. He's brought the best out of us."

But Stanford is realistic too. He understands that Roof's chances hinge on Duke's play in the season's final three games.

"We all know, when it comes down to it, it's about putting W's in the win column," Stanford said. "If we're able to put W's in the win column, he'll definitely get a look. If not, then the cards will fall as they may."

Alleva insisted that he had plenty of options, including a long list of head coaches and assistants.

"I've heard from well over 50 coaches that are interested in this job," he said. "A lot of head coaches have shown an interest in it."

That level of interest should allow Alleva to be picky.

"I would prefer to hire a head coach," he said. "That doesn't mean that's going to happen. If we find a really great assistant coach, we'll go with an assistant coach. I would prefer a head coach [or] somebody that has been a college head coach. That doesn't mean that they necessarily are one now."

The Duke athletics director is being helped in his search by Gene Corrigan, a Duke graduate who served as athletics director at Notre Dame and as commissioner of the ACC.

"Gene is my number one liaison guy," Alleva said. "I've also included five Duke ex-football guys -- Leo Hart, Anthony Dilweg, Cedric Jones, Bob Paschal and Hal McElhaney. I'm using them as a sounding board, running names by them. They will be involved in the actual interview process, along with other university officials that are yet to be determined."

Alleva expects to bring his interview candidates in as their regular season ends at the end of November and/or at the beginning of December. He doesn't want to wait until after the bowls to name a head coach.

"No, that's too long," he said. "I can't imagine waiting that long. Some guy may not be able to start here as a head coach until the bowls are over, but I would hope that we have a decision on who the coach is going to be before then.

"I think this is a great job," Alleva said. "I think that Duke University is a great place. Our academics are a selling point. They're not a negative. We're in a great football conference. If you can't go into a kid's house and sell that kid of Duke University, you're not much of a coach.

"I think we've got everything in place to be a winning football team. Believe it or not, I don't have to sell coaches. Coaches are calling me -- they know what a place this could be."

Roof obviously knows what the job offers -- and what it demands. But he's not thinking about his chances of removing the word interim from his title.

"I don't have time to worry about that now," Roof said. "I know this ... the best chance we have to accomplish that is the product we put out on the field."

http://www.herald-sun.com/sports/18-409912.html

Archived