Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

VA-Pilot:Spurrier is staying the course; Smith unhappy

TK

Spurrier is staying the course; Smith unhappy

By JIM DUCIBELLA, The Virginian-Pilot

© November 4, 2003 | Last updated 9:53 PM Nov. 3

Steve Spurrier reiterated his intention Monday to remain coach of the Washington Redskins for at least one more season and said that, despite rumors, he is “determined” not to fire any member of his coaching staff. At the same time, Spurrier acknowledged that he must rebuild battered quarterback Patrick Ramsey’s confidence in an offensive line whose shoddy performance has led to Ramsey being removed from the last three games. Meanwhile, unhappy defensive end Bruce Smith, who did not start and played little in Sunday’s 21-14 loss to the Dallas Cowboys, said he intends to meet with the coaching staff to ascertain their plans for him the rest of the season. All of this came in the aftermath of a seven-point loss to the Cowboys far more lopsided than the score indicated. Instead of ending a tumultuous bye week that included owner Daniel Snyder bringing in consultants to review the team’s offense and defense, the waiving of backup quarterback Rob Johnson and rumors that offensive line coach Kim Helton’s job was in jeopardy, the Redskins’ performance turned up the heat another notch. “I’m sticking on my three-year deal, OK,” Spurrier answered, 24 hours after his team lost for the fourth straight time and fell to 1-9 against NFC East opponents in his two seasons in Washington. Originally signed to a five-year deal, Spurrier said last season that if the team didn’t show progress by the end of the third season, he would step down. He is 10-14 since joining the pros. As for his staff, Spurrier and Helton denied a ESPN story Sunday that Helton had been fired last week, then brought back by Snyder. Asked again Monday if he planned to fire any assistants, Spurrier replied, “I’m determined not to fire any coaches. There’s nothing wrong with these coaches. We need to get a little more aggressive up front. Rush better, protect better, throw better. We’re all trying to get a little bit better. “There’s a natural tendency around here to blame coaches for everything that goes bad. I hope you guys have been watching the games like we have. We’re trying to coach better. We need to play better, too.” As for Ramsey, the second-year quarterback left Sunday’s game briefly after suffering a dislocated left pinky and a bruised left forearm. Against a blitzing Dallas defense that consistently outnumbered Redskins blockers, Ramsey was sacked four times. He was also hit as, or just after, he threw on at least eight other occasions. Ramsey has been sacked 29 times this season. “He is running round in the pocket at times when actually he should be a little more comfortable there,” Spurrier said. “Hopefully, we can get him a little more trusting in the pocket and in his protection. “They did hit us with some blitzes, and we didn’t execute our protection scheme well two or three times. Other times, they brought a safety and we didn’t know he was coming. Those all-out blitzes, you’ve got a chance to throw a touchdown or they’ve got a chance to get to you. There was a land of room out there to throw Sunday.” Smith did not start a game he was healthy enough to play in for the first time in 17 years Sunday, and was still visibly upset about the decision a day later. He was seen huddling with Snyder in the trainer’s room at Texas Stadium after the game, and he answered “absolutely” when asked if he planned to discuss his future with the coaching staff this week. “I want to know what their intentions are,” said Smith, who needs two sacks to become football’s all-time leader in that category. “I have goals I’d like to achieve myself, team goals and individual goals. At some point in your career, you have to take a stance and be a little selfish.” Smith, who was replaced by Regan Upshaw, said he felt like he was being “singled out” because the team is playing so poorly. Spurrier wasn’t buying it. “I’m sorry he feels that way, but he’s not being singled out,” he said. “We thought Regan had played as well or better and deserved a chance to start. Next game, I don’t know who is going to start. If the defensive coaches say Bruce played better, then he’ll start.” Quick kicks: Spurrier said that RB/KR Chad Morton has a high ankle sprain and is doubtful for Sunday’s game against Seattle. RB Sultan McCullough suffered a fractured hand and also is doubtful. With Ladell Betts out with a fractured arm, the only completely healthy backs the Redskins have are Rock Cartwright and Bryan Johnson. Trung Canidate, who has been nursing a high ankle sprain, will be healthy enough to play against the Seahawks. ... C Larry Moore may be the injured player Spurrier is most concerned over. He has a foot injury and will be evaluated later in the week. ... Spurrier said WR Patrick Johnson has earned additional playing time this week after his performance against Dallas. Reach Jim Ducibella at 446-2364 or at jim.ducibella@pilotonline.com

http://home.hamptonroads.com/stories/story.cfm?story=61853&ran=202643

Archived