Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2015 Redskins Free Agency Journal

And than there's the possibility of Marcus Mariota being there as a possible draft and trade or a move down senerio but I'm in BUCKEYE land and when Mariota got the taste of a pro style defense he looked bad in the natioal title game. His stats were good except 3rd down and he seemed confused at times but theres no doubt he's a great player with a lot of room to grow. If he is there at 5 that would be a tough decesion to make anyway you look at it and I personally don't feel he's better than what we have right now. Bryce Petty seems to me that guy to get in the 3rd and sit and learn his first couple season's and on the O line issue I'd love to see Washington give Jake Long a chance at RT even though this will be a very deep draft for O lineman

4 Capital City Skins. I agree with you that Vic Beasley is a beast and I like what he did at the Combine. Yeah I would rule out L. Williams cause we restructured our DL but if this team wants to get better then we'll need depth at positions. Best available. Only problem I have with Mariota is that he basically plays the same system as RG3. RG3 coming out of college was a better prospect than Mariota. So it'll be interesting when we do with that 5 pick. Now I'm hearing rumors about us and the Rams trading....SMH.

4 I Bleed B N G.... You're 100% right about depth. No team is going far without it as well as the compitition it brings to the team. I don't completely agree on draft the best player available therory personally as I watched the Patriots for over a decade trade down and draft team needs above this therory making all the mock draft expert look like they need a refresher course. But if there's a place the SKINS need depth and team needs is linebacker in general with of course a pass rushing OLB first and ILB has been the achillies heel of our run D. And I think you're right about RG3 in contrast to Mariota but for me I hate these half field only reading QB's and hope we at some point we get back to a true QB. But I think we both know what we want from our SKINS and we're close in most our beliefs and hope's for the future. Pleasure comparing ideas

It's nice to see Washington make a good value trade. #Goldson

Trading for a S in Goldson is a nice move by just trading a 6th round pick in next years draft is a nice move. The move has it's pros and cons. We just added to a position of need, 2 time Pro Bowler, experience, McCloughan drafted him when he was with the 49ers but he is older (30 years old) which should add experience and leadership (but still 30), he kind of disappeared with Tampa's system.. ranked something like 2nd to last at the Safety position so I've heard. Besides all that we didn't give up much to acquire him plus if he plays well next year we got a heck of a bargain and I'm getting more and more convinced that McCloughan is turning this team around to be contenders.

4 I Bleed B N G.... You're 100% right about depth. No team is going far without it as well as the compitition it brings to the team. I don't completely agree on draft the best player available therory personally as I watched the Patriots for over a decade trade down and draft team needs above this therory making all the mock draft expert look like they need a refresher course. But if there's a place the SKINS need depth and team needs is linebacker in general with of course a pass rushing OLB first and ILB has been the achillies heel of our run D. And I think you're right about RG3 in contrast to Mariota but for me I hate these half field only reading QB's and hope we at some point we get back to a true QB. But I think we both know what we want from our SKINS and we're close in most our beliefs and hope's for the future. Pleasure comparing ideas

It's nice to see Washington make a good value trade. #Goldson

Hail Capitol City Skins - I understand what you are saying about NE, but what they have done is if they position they need is not there when they pick, they trade out of that pick and take their guy at the right value. They are still drafting based on BPA, but they are not reaching for guys either.

I really like what Scots doing. He has made a lot of low risk high reward moves, things that will not kill us in a bunch of dead cap space. I just hope the fans have the stomach to watch us struggle on the field for another year or two. This is a long term process, not short term.

Scot took what was available for a reasonable price in Free Agency and in the latest trade with TB; hail to Scot. The impact is what looks like a reasonably good D for next year with an acceptable cap hit.

While the first draft pick may be a pass rusher I would expect the majority of the players to be the best player available on O. which is the area of greatest need.

I am 100% guessing, and could be a 100% wrong, that we will take a RT, Guard, Center, and backup RB as a minimum. I could also see developmental players at Safety, QB, and TE. I am also looking forward to the 1st - 1st round pick in quite a while.

Individual players are hard to pick because circumstances change every time someone makes a selection in front on you but if you ignore rounds and individuals what do you folks think will be our positional emphasis. {Something to talk about until the draft.}

Scot took what was available for a reasonable price in Free Agency and in the latest trade with TB; hail to Scot. The impact is what looks like a reasonably good D for next year with an acceptable cap hit.

While the first draft pick may be a pass rusher I would expect the majority of the players to be the best player available on O. which is the area of greatest need.

I am 100% guessing, and could be a 100% wrong, that we will take a RT, Guard, Center, and backup RB as a minimum. I could also see developmental players at Safety, QB, and TE. I am also looking forward to the 1st - 1st round pick in quite a while.

Individual players are hard to pick because circumstances change every time someone makes a selection in front on you but if you ignore rounds and individuals what do you folks think will be our positional emphasis. {Something to talk about until the draft.}

I really don't think there will be a positional emphasis. Don't be surprised if we take positions that we feel are mostly filled like DLine, ILB, RB. WE may have starters but not depth and not great players outside a few. I personally think anything is on the table.

@go - you are right about staying away from a positional emphasis, with one caveat; the farther you move down the draft the number of prospects that can be declared the best available player at a draft slot takes on the plural mode of the best players available. At that point when you have a large talent deficit you have to focus on what slots are going to come open in the next couple of years as opposed to I can trade away excesses for more picks.

Like you said the Redskins have a talent deficit and need lots of players. However, it is going to take 2 or 3 drafts to get to the point that they can start to focus on reserves. I could be wrong, as I have been there in the past with this team, many times.

@go - you are right about staying away from a positional emphasis, with one caveat; the farther you move down the draft the number of prospects that can be declared the best available player at a draft slot takes on the plural mode of the best players available. At that point when you have a large talent deficit you have to focus on what slots are going to come open in the next couple of years as opposed to I can trade away excesses for more picks.

Like you said the Redskins have a talent deficit and need lots of players. However, it is going to take 2 or 3 drafts to get to the point that they can start to focus on reserves. I could be wrong, as I have been there in the past with this team, many times.

You make a good point about early draft vs. late draft. They really are different. In the early rounds you expect guys to make the team and play. You have to hit on a high % of the first half of the draft. On the back half are the guys that will play STs and provide depth for the most part (To those that like to bring up Brady, Morris, other, those are truly the exception not the rule.). So you are right, you can tend to pick for position a little more in the back half.

The whole thing is definitely a process. We have all talked about it taking several drafts, that it's very likely we will not be a very good team again this year. But it's easy to be patient in March, April, May. I hope everyone keeps that same patience once the season starts.

@Sammy - you are going to get your wish on the o-line, it is going to take a draft or 2 to fix it when you factor in depth. There are also 2 or 3 young players on the roster that may fit into that solution.

There is a need for a RT if you assume Mosses and Compton don't work out long term.

I worry more about Guard and center, a couple of young ones perhaps available at guard. No long term solution at Center.

I would guess we would take a couple at o-line this year and maybe the same next year, but no one earlier than the 2nd round as that is where Guards, RTs, and Centers are usually drafted. A problem is that maturity which comes with expedience is at least a couple of years away, so keep the faith.

They also need to do something with play execution which was reportedly responsible for half of the sacks last year, that is of course on Gruden and the new QB coach.

• 4 weeks later...

I have to say I am not impressed with what the GM? has done so far...I mean he has not actually improved the roster or the D which he seemed to focus on in FA...right now today if we had to play a game tomorrow our two starting S's would be a career back up, STs player who has never started and was injured for two of the years he has been in the NFL, the other, a guy from TB that TB was so happy to get rid of him they gladly ate $4M dollars.  A guy who could not even get on the field as a back up on one of the worst Ds in the entire NFL, TB.  I don't see how either of these two actually improve the secondary.  Next we take a CB from SF who has serious legal issues, assault with a deadly weapon, brace knukles which for some unknown reason was reduced to assault.  There is no doubt in my mind he will be suspended by the NFL for his misconduct.  Next the DL where we had to get rid of Jenkins, Cofield and Bowens who simply were not producing but then we go out and get three other players two of which are basically NFL journeymen DL, Peae and Franchois...neither are impact players.  Finally, we find a true NT in Knighton the best of the litter we have brought in but we then turn around and only give the guy a one year deal, guaranteed $4M. Who really only came here because he wants a big pay day in FA in 2016 and will be gone in a year.  So I don't see how that fits into rebuilding the roster.  I am also concerned about the fact that he played for DEN and DEN did nothing to try and resign him so I ask what do they know that we don't.  I don't know how anyone can grade this FA higher than a D-....so I don't see the team even marginally improved and we have done absolutely nothing to address the OL and RB and I will add QB problems we have on the roster.  We have just traded out average NFL DL for average DL, the secondary could hardly be said to be any better than last years disaster...so, we have not done much at all to make the team better.

I have to say I am not impressed with what the GM? has done so far...I mean he has not actually improved the roster or the D which he seemed to focus on in FA...right now today if we had to play a game tomorrow our two starting S's would be a career back up, STs player who has never started and was injured for two of the years he has been in the NFL, the other, a guy from TB TB was so happy to get rid of him they gladly ate $4M dollars.  A guy who could not even get on the field as a back up on one of the worst Ds in the entire NFL, TB.  I don't see how either of these two actually improve the secondary. 

Edit -- per the rules for space

We have just traded out average NFL DL for average DL, the secondary could hardly be said to be any better than last years disaster...so, we have not done much at all to make the team better.

I will agree you can't say we are not a top 5 Dline. But anyone expecting that in the first few weeks of turning this thing around was setting themselves up for disappointment. What he did do is traded out guys who are done, no potential and being paid too much, for guys who have had some success and are still young enough to potentially get back there, and outside of Culliver all at very team friendly contracts (even Culliver's is not too bad, but it could be argued we reached.).

Here is my take on a few of the guys: 

Ricky Jean Francios - We get a 28 YR who just 2 yrs ago was playing at such a high level the Colts give him a $20M 4/yr contract and signed him to only $9M over 3 yrs, only $6M is guaranteed. We released a 31 Y/O Barry Coefield coming off 2 injury plagued seasons who would have conted almost $8M to the cap this year. We still keep $3.5M dead many but save over $4M. So we traded a 31 injured player with a huge cap hit, for a 28 Y/O with a lot of potential to a much more team friendly contract. If he sicks this year he only counts $2M dead cap. That goes down to $1M afte the 2nd year.  

Stephen Paea: He is no journeyman. He is 26 coming off one of the best years of his career. We signed him to $21M for 4 yrs with $15M guaranteed. We got rid of Stephen Bowen who is 31 and coming off 2 injury plagued seasons. His cap hit would have been $8M, the 13th highest among all Dlineman. We save over $5M by releasing him and we get a guy who is 26 coming off his best year as a pro!

Terrance Knighton - He is arguably the best run stopper in the league. We got him for a steal of a $4M prove it contract. He also buys us time to get someone in the draft and develop them he wants to leave after next year. There was talk about his weight being a problem. $4M for a true NT is not much money at all. If he plays well, he will get paid well. If not, we let him walk with no cap hit what so ever.

That's just 3. I could do the same for the others - Dashon Goldston was a 2 time pro-bowlers until he went to TB where players go to kill their careers. Just ask Derrell Revis. He played horribly down there and then went to NE and played great. At 31 he is a little bit older but CB that's not as important. Also, it's a very team friendly contract. TB had to move him due to the cap problems. He will be a big help either teaching Amerson of just plain replacing him.

I think SM has done a very good job of getting us players with potential without hand cuffing our salary cap situation. He didn't break the bank on anyone. And finally, finally we are not being brought up as a landing spot for every FA on the market. That's not all him. But still, it's nice.  

This will take time, several yrs. It will be slow at first. And SM will make some mistakes. No one is 100%. He gets at least a 2 yr pass from me. Of course, ask me after the draft, I may have another opinion ---  We took Gurley at 5???? WTF????  We traded out of our 2nd rd pick for the 63rd pick and and a 7rd pick??? WTF???   LOL   JK.

I will agree you can't say we are not a top 5 Dline. But anyone expecting that in the first few weeks of turning this thing around was setting themselves up for disappointment. What he did do is traded out guys who are done, no potential and being paid too much, for guys who have had some success and are still young enough to potentially get back there, and outside of Culliver all at very team friendly contracts (even Culliver's is not too bad, but it could be argued we reached.).

Here is my take on a few of the guys: 

Ricky Jean Francios - We get a 28 YR who just 2 yrs ago was playing at such a high level the Colts give him a $20M 4/yr contract and signed him to only $9M over 3 yrs, only $6M is guaranteed. We released a 31 Y/O Barry Coefield coming off 2 injury plagued seasons who would have conted almost $8M to the cap this year. We still keep $3.5M dead many but save over $4M. So we traded a 31 injured player with a huge cap hit, for a 28 Y/O with a lot of potential to a much more team friendly contract. If he sicks this year he only counts $2M dead cap. That goes down to $1M afte the 2nd year.  

Stephen Paea: He is no journeyman. He is 26 coming off one of the best years of his career. We signed him to $21M for 4 yrs with $15M guaranteed. We got rid of Stephen Bowen who is 31 and coming off 2 injury plagued seasons. His cap hit would have been $8M, the 13th highest among all Dlineman. We save over $5M by releasing him and we get a guy who is 26 coming off his best year as a pro!

Terrance Knighton - He is arguably the best run stopper in the league. We got him for a steal of a $4M prove it contract. He also buys us time to get someone in the draft and develop them he wants to leave after next year. There was talk about his weight being a problem. $4M for a true NT is not much money at all. If he plays well, he will get paid well. If not, we let him walk with no cap hit what so ever.

That's just 3. I could do the same for the others - Dashon Goldston was a 2 time pro-bowlers until he went to TB where players go to kill their careers. Just ask Derrell Revis. He played horribly down there and then went to NE and played great. At 31 he is a little bit older but CB that's not as important. Also, it's a very team friendly contract. TB had to move him due to the cap problems. He will be a big help either teaching Amerson of just plain replacing him.

I think SM has done a very good job of getting us players with potential without hand cuffing our salary cap situation. He didn't break the bank on anyone. And finally, finally we are not being brought up as a landing spot for every FA on the market. That's not all him. But still, it's nice.  

This will take time, several yrs. It will be slow at first. And SM will make some mistakes. No one is 100%. He gets at least a 2 yr pass from me. Of course, ask me after the draft, I may have another opinion ---  We took Gurley at 5???? WTF????  We traded out of our 2nd rd pick for the 63rd pick and and a 7rd pick??? WTF???   LOL   JK.

That's all a very rosy view...the truth probably lies somewhere in between my view and yours.  But this GM? has said numerous times, he intends to rebuild the roster via the draft and I completely support that view which in my opinion backs up what I have been saying...the guys he has brought in are place holder level players. I don't find a single impact player in all of the FAs we have brought in maybe excluding Knighton...but again, if he was such a great NT, why would DEN let him walk?  They run a 3-4 D....and they let him walk for a small amount of money, Clearly they had no interest in bringing him back and that is a red flag to me and of course a one year that also sends a message that we also had concerns.  Its the two S's that we have brought in that really concern me,,neither of those two would be starting for any other team than WAS and I see the O's we play simply going over the top as they did all last year.  And our DL isn't going to scare anyone..so overall I give this GM poor marks.  Swapping older players for younger players is not the same thing as getting better. Younger is not the same things a better. Just not impressed at all with what he has done and his stated plan to take the best available player available in the draft when we have specific needs seems really misplaced to say the least.  I am not as sanguine as you are about the roster at this point and it appears to me, the roster is little if any improved.  We just see two completely different teams...I guess that is why the play the game.

A rosy view? I believe what I stated were all actual facts. The players we brought in helped our cap position. Also Paea is coming off a career year. Hardly a journeyman and is most definitely an improvement over Bowen who is 5 yrs older and coming off 2 yrs of injury.

As for the secondary, you are taking the more negative view of them. We can't help but be improved. But time will tell. You may be right on them. May turn into little to no improvement. There is also the matter of chemistry. They could be better than expected or worse due simply to chemistry.

As for the BPA strategy, that is how the really good teams are built. Drafting strictly for need typically gets you in trouble as you tend to reach for players. Of course there is a misnomer about BPA. If you have a need for a S and the BPA is a DL but your highest S is just a few spots below your DL ranking, you are going to take the S.

He helped build two other teams with that strategy and was taught by the GB FO. It's how NE, Balt. and the other teams who have been successful in the FA era have conducted their draft.

Again time will tell. I like what SM has done so far and am really looking forward to the draft. Less than 24 hrs.

A rosy view? I believe what I stated were all actual facts. The players we brought in helped our cap position. Also Paea is coming off a career year. Hardly a journeyman and is most definitely an improvement over Bowen who is 5 yrs older and coming off 2 yrs of injury.

As for the secondary, you are taking the more negative view of them. We can't help but be improved. But time will tell. You may be right on them. May turn into little to no improvement. There is also the matter of chemistry. They could be better than expected or worse due simply to chemistry.

As for the BPA strategy, that is how the really good teams are built. Drafting strictly for need typically gets you in trouble as you tend to reach for players. Of course there is a misnomer about BPA. If you have a need for a S and the BPA is a DL but your highest S is just a few spots below your DL ranking, you are going to take the S.

He helped build two other teams with that strategy and was taught by the GB FO. It's how NE, Balt. and the other teams who have been successful in the FA era have conducted their draft.

Again time will tell. I like what SM has done so far and am really looking forward to the draft. Less than 24 hrs.

Look you seem to be in love with Peae...he replaces Jenkins...and that's not much of an improvement and our record with guys coming off so called career years is not very good and if he was so great how come CHI let him go...You have your views which I think grossly overstate the value of these players along the DL..as I said, the best of the litter is Knighton but he is a one and done here so when he moves on which he will, then we are right back where we started.  I don't like what this GM has done and as they say the proof is in the pudding.  I don't expect our D to be any better than last years weak unit and frankly with the personnel he has brought in I don't know how anyone could expect more...the idea of BPA is joke..its fine with a team that has a strong roster, they have the luxury of drafting like that but for a team as weak as our team, especially along the OL, OLB, the secondary, RB, and yes the QB position, taking the BPA is just nonsense.  Our roster is weak across the board and it will take years to rebuild and it should be done in the draft but not by taking the BPA but by making smart decisions which so far I have not seen from this GM, to rebuild the team where its weakest and that's along the interior of the OL and I will be very disappointed if the GM ignores that problem area...if we don't draft, C, G, G in no particular order, this draft will be a bust...and we don't have the luxury to ignore obvious problems on the roster. 

Look you seem to be in love with Peae...he replaces Jenkins...and that's not much of an improvement and our record with guys coming off so called career years is not very good and if he was so great how come CHI let him go...You have your views which I think grossly overstate the value of these players along the DL..as I said, the best of the litter is Knighton but he is a one and done here so when he moves on which he will, then we are right back where we started.  I don't like what this GM has done and as they say the proof is in the pudding.  I don't expect our D to be any better than last years weak unit and frankly with the personnel he has brought in I don't know how anyone could expect more...the idea of BPA is joke..its fine with a team that has a strong roster, they have the luxury of drafting like that but for a team as weak as our team, especially along the OL, OLB, the secondary, RB, and yes the QB position, taking the BPA is just nonsense.  Our roster is weak across the board and it will take years to rebuild and it should be done in the draft but not by taking the BPA but by making smart decisions which so far I have not seen from this GM, to rebuild the team where its weakest and that's along the interior of the OL and I will be very disappointed if the GM ignores that problem area...if we don't draft, C, G, G in no particular order, this draft will be a bust...and we don't have the luxury to ignore obvious problems on the roster. 

There is really no need for superlatives. I am not "love" with any football player. I am simply stating the facts. He is coming off his best year as a professional and is only 26. Those are both facts. Does that guarantee he will play well here? No. But it increases the chances significantly over either keeping a guy 5 yrs older and injured or bringing in someone who is playing poorly.

As far as "grossly overstating value", I stated the facts, then what their potential is. Do they reach their potential? Who knows. That's as much chemistry and teamwork, something all these guys have in common. They are all good locker-room guys. But the absolute facts are that we got younger with more potential while dumping some bad contracts and improving our CAP position. Will that make us better? Time will tell.

Not sure what your problem with BPA is? Maybe you just don't understand how it works. It's not literally only the highest player on your board no matter what. But it does mean not reaching 10 or more spots for someone just for position. It also makes sure you get full value for the draft position. That's something we have not valued over the last few years. I can guarantee you that we will not take C, G, G to start the draft. Or let's say I would be very surprised. I will say I would not be surprised if we take Scherff at #5. He will not play T in the NFL, he will paly G. Many will say that's too high for a G. But I say he is as much a sure thing as there is in the draft. Many have him going either at 7, or 9. So 5 is not that much a stretch.

Let me ask this. What position on our team could not use an upgrade? You said we did not get better on the Dline, which was not good last year. Why not take Williams if he is on the board? You have always characterized Kerrigan as average and you don't like murphy, so why not someone like Beasley at 5? Wouldn't that be a significant upgrade. In reality, wouldn't just about position available at 5 as the highest rated player be a significant upgrade? I would argue that a strong team needs to draft position more than a team like ours that needs everything.

I am looking forward to the draft. Unlike you I have a lot of confidence in Scot. He helped build two championship teams recently. I believe he can do it again.

There is really no need for superlatives. I am not "love" with any football player. I am simply stating the facts. He is coming off his best year as a professional and is only 26. Those are both facts. Does that guarantee he will play well here? No. But it increases the chances significantly over either keeping a guy 5 yrs older and injured or bringing in someone who is playing poorly.

As far as "grossly overstating value", I stated the facts, then what their potential is. Do they reach their potential? Who knows. That's as much chemistry and teamwork, something all these guys have in common. They are all good locker-room guys. But the absolute facts are that we got younger with more potential while dumping some bad contracts and improving our CAP position. Will that make us better? Time will tell.

Not sure what your problem with BPA is? Maybe you just don't understand how it works. It's not literally only the highest player on your board no matter what. But it does mean not reaching 10 or more spots for someone just for position. It also makes sure you get full value for the draft position. That's something we have not valued over the last few years. I can guarantee you that we will not take C, G, G to start the draft. Or let's say I would be very surprised. I will say I would not be surprised if we take Scherff at #5. He will not play T in the NFL, he will paly G. Many will say that's too high for a G. But I say he is as much a sure thing as there is in the draft. Many have him going either at 7, or 9. So 5 is not that much a stretch.

Let me ask this. What position on our team could not use an upgrade? You said we did not get better on the Dline, which was not good last year. Why not take Williams if he is on the board? You have always characterized Kerrigan as average and you don't like murphy, so why not someone like Beasley at 5? Wouldn't that be a significant upgrade. In reality, wouldn't just about position available at 5 as the highest rated player be a significant upgrade? I would argue that a strong team needs to draft position more than a team like ours that needs everything.

I am looking forward to the draft. Unlike you I have a lot of confidence in Scot. He helped build two championship teams recently. I believe he can do it again.

Of course you are looking forward to the draft....so am I but not for the same reasons...if our so called GM doesn't address the interior of the OL then this draft will be a complete failure...as for taking the BPA, its wasted use of the draft...look, lets say the BPA is a WR....we are knee deep in WRs so bringing in another WR solves nothing that is wrong with the roster but maybe that concept is over your head.  Teams that have a stable roster, have the luxury of taking the BPA or maybe that is over your head also.  That's when taking the BPA makes sense...but when the team has OBVIOUS deficiencies like our roster...even a view that YOU could figure out, then taking the BPA is foolish at best and at worst a waste of valuable draft picks.  But again maybe that is above your pay grade.  Your posts don't contain ANY facts..only your opinion which are certainly your right to post fine...but don't try and make what you think is anything more than pure guessing and wishful thinking.  Our GM that virtually threw his career away because he lacked GOOD JUDGMENT, self control, and discipline and is now calling the shots here and YOU have a ton of confidence in that..he was out of the NFL for a very good reason maybe you missed that and frankly there was NOT ONE NFL franchise that was interested in giving him another shot, other than of course WAS where all broken down players, coachs and in this case former GMs come to try to resurrect their careers and or get a pay check.  Frankly his poor decisions so far only reinforces in my mind that those were good reasons why he was out of the NFL and are good reasons to question his decision making here.  But look, you have your opinion which I don't agree with but I do agree you have a right to post them..just don't call them facts. 

Let me add one more comment, I am not opposed to taking Beasley with our pick in the first round. Most analysts are saying that is what will happen or that we will move back and trade the pick for more picks...as for Kerrigan, he is OK not anything great. He is about 1/3 of a true good OLB..he got pressure last year but was woeful in coverage and barely average against the run..Murphy is OK against the run but completely lost in space and didn't demonstrate he could get consistent pressure...So of course Beasley would be a smart pick...but we have already spent nearly all of our FA money on trying to stabilize the D..and the interior of the OL is a critical weakness and if we ignore that problem, then I don't care who the OL coach is, and by the way I love Callahan but at DAL he had THREE number one draft picks to build around, he wont be able to improve the OL play with the guys we have and WE could take a good lesson from DAL, if you want to compete in the NFC E, you better have a strong OL and the draft is the right place to fix that major problem.  So if I see this GM ignore that very obvious need, the draft will be a complete failure.  Now you wont agree with that, and that's your right.  But the shortest distance to a QB is not from the wing, its straight up the middle and all last year, Ds got to our QB mostly thru the interior of the OL...and that's what needs to be fixed, not another wing rusher. 

Are the players younger? Yes. That is a fact, not an opinion.  Are the contracts more team friendly? Yes. That is a fact, not an opinion. Do they have more potential? Yes. That is a fact not an opinion. You can't just ignore these facts and call them opinion. The guys coming in are younger. The contracts are more team friendly. They do have more potential, especially when you consider the injuries.

The opinion part comes on if those moves make us better or worse. My opinion the moves make us better. You do not. Fair enough. Time will tell. I also have a different view of Scot M and his personal problems, but that too is just opinion. And again, time will tell.

As far as taking a WR at 5, while it's not my first choice, PG contract is crazy high. DJax contract will blow up in 2 yrs. Both will be 30 in 2 yrs. Haven't you made many comments about our smurfs? White is a big strong WR with great hands. We need that when we get to the EZ. We just don't have that player right now. He needs to learn routes but has shown the ability to learn quick. Also, he has an instinctual turn and burst up field when he catches the ball. If Kevin White is available and we take him, that is not a bad pick. 

Bill Callahan has done great with all his lines, not just the one in dallast with 3 1st rounders. He is one of the best OLine coaches in the last few decades working with Wisconsin, Philly, then Oakland before going to dallast. Before Moses was injured he was pressing Compton for playing time. If Callahan thinks he can make a good line out who we have, I have faith in him. It may be misplaced, but so it goes.

I know many others want Cooper, but he has hands problems and is really just a poor mans Garcon. I would consider that a bad pick. So yes, if Kevin White is the top player on our board at 5 we should take him, especially since there are definitely starting Gs and Cs in the 2nd and 3rd rds. With that being said, my preference is for us to Brandon Scherff at 5. You can plug him in at LG and forget about him for the next 8 to 10 yrs barring injury.

Below is a Mock Draft I did on a simulator. You will probably not like it since I did not GO line on the first 3 picks, although since I was able to stock pile picks I did get a OG and C in the first 3 rds, not just the first 3 picks. But run through it if you have a minute. If our draft looks anything like this at all it will have been a pretty damn good draft. (requires a few trade backs, something very hard to predict and probably will not happen as much as I did.) The simulator is in the stadium. It's pretty fun. I just did it once, but may try it again.

Here was my first effort.  I traded back several times to end up with a total of 3 2nds, 4 3rd, and 2 4ths, plus a 1st rd for 2016 and 2017. I was able to go Oline, Dline and secondary, which is what I think we need. Plus grabbed a few other players here and there as best available to me.

If we could get this, I don't think anyone would be too upset.

Your score is: 4557 (GRADE: B+)

Your Picks:
Round 1 Pick 15 (S.F.): A.J. Cann, OG, South Carolina (B-)
Round 2 Pick 6: Arik Armstead, DE, Oregon (B+)
Round 2 Pick 8 (NYG): Anthony Harris, SS, Virginia (B+)
Round 2 Pick 15 (MIA): Devin Funchess, WR, Michigan (A-)
Round 3 Pick 5: Carl Davis, DT, Iowa (A-)
Round 3 Pick 10 (NYG): Ben Koyack, TE, Notre Dame (B-)
Round 3 Pick 14 (MIA): Andy Gallik, C, Boston College ( B
Round 3 Pick 15 (S.F.): Doran Grant, CB, Ohio State ( B
Round 4 Pick 6: Cedric Ogbuehi, OT, Texas A&M (B+)
Round 4 Pick 27 (S.F.): Austin Shepherd, OT, Alabama C
Round 5 Pick 5: Charles Gaines, CB, Louisville C
Round 6 Pick 6: Damarious Randall, FS, Arizona State ( B
Round 7 Pick 9 (NYG): Austin Hill, WR, Arizona (A)
Round 7 Pick 27 (NYG): C.J. Olaniyan, OLB, Penn State C

Your Future Picks:
2016 Round 1 Pick
2017 Round 1 Pick

Archived