Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Kiper on the Combine

B&G

Saturday, Mar. 2<br />SATURDAY UPDATE: Ohio State’s LeCharles Bentley entered the NFL scouting combine as the top-rated center going into the 2002 NFL draft. On Saturday, he was among the players who became the center of attention with impressive workouts.<br /><br />Checking in at 6-foot-2¼, 299 pounds, Bentley helped himself as much as any player in Indianapolis so far. He outperformed the other offensive linemen in drills, showing good feet and explosion. With his performance, Bentley elevated his stock and could now go as early as the late first round or early second round.<br /><br />The offensive linemen and running backs worked out Saturday, a day after being weighed, measured and tested for strength. Also Saturday, the defensive linemen, quarterbacks and wide receivers were weighed and measured, and only the defensive linemen lifted. <br /><br />The defensive linemen, quarterbacks and wide receivers work out Sunday, followed by the linebackers, tight ends and defensive backs on Monday, the final day of the combine. The placekickers and punters were the first to work out Friday. <br /><br />Other than Bentley’s overall performance, Texas offensive tackle Mike Williams and Boston College running back William Green have looked the most impressive physically. Although he chose not to run at the combine, Williams weighed in at 375 pounds without looking fat. <br /><br />Green looked like a bodybuilder, checking in at 6-foot-¼, 221 pounds. He also did 27 repetitions in the 225-pound bench press. However, he didn’t follow up with a great 40-yard sprint. His time was a good but not blistering 4.57-4.58 in the 40.<br /><br />Although the 40 times are calculated in the dome as a “grass” time because it is run on a slower track, the NFL brass was disappointed overall with the lack of speed from this year’s running back class. But that didn’t stop Cleveland Browns head coach Butch Davis from reportedly showing a strong interest in the running backs. <br /><br />Like Green, Michigan State’s T.J. Duckett (6-0, 254) also looked strong physically. Although he didn’t run or lift, he shined in the pass-catching drills and showed big hands and long arms. With a great individual workout on March 12, Duckett has a chance to close the gap on Green as the top-rated running back.<br /><br />Miami’s Clinton Portis didn’t run, but he weighed in at 204 pounds, which bodes well since his estimated playing weight last season was 188-190 pounds.<br /><br />Of the other running backs, UCLA’s DeShaun Foster weighed 222 pounds and showed outstanding strength with 20 reps. While he caught the ball well, his 40 time – 4.57-4.60 – was not as good as expected. <br /><br />One running back who did run well was former Nebraska quarterback Eric Crouch, who at 5-11¾, 195 clocked 4.45-4.49. Meanwhile, Iowa’s Ladell Betts had a solid workout, running a 4.58 and catching the ball well; Oregon’s Maurice Morris ran 4.50 and showed good hands; Kansas State’s Josh Scobey was the fastest back (4.38) but struggled catching the ball; Penn State’s Omar Easy looked strong physically at 6-1, 244; and Tennessee fullback Will Bartholomew had the most strength reps at 35.<br /><br />Williams remains my highest-rated offensive tackle, but Miami’s Bryant McKinnie is right behind him. At the combine, McKinnie was 6-8, 343 and ran under 5.0, the fastest 40 time among offensive tackles. Like Williams, McKinnie didn’t lift, saving that for his individual workout on March 7. <br /><br />Aside from Williams and McKinnie, three other top linemen -- Nebraska’s Toniu Fonoti, Colorado’s Andre Gurode and Arizona State’s Levi Jones -- managed to solidify their draft positions. Although he didn’t lift, Fonoti looked the part physically, at 6-4, 349. Gurode and Jones turned in strong workouts. In particular, Gurode weighed 316 and showed huge hands and super long arms.<br /><br />Of the defensive linemen, Tennessee teammates Albert Haynesworth and John Henderson weighed in at 320 and 305 pounds respectively. Mississippi State’s Dorsett Davis did the most reps (32) of the defensive linemen who lifted. <br /><br />Kentucky’s Dennis Johnson, who was projected as a late first-round pick, may have lost some ground. When a junior declares early for the draft, he needs to show up at the combine in supreme condition. But Johnson lacked muscular definition and looked like he needed strength work.

I wonder what the Raiders would give us along with the #23 pick in order to move up to #18. I know that's not much of a jump for them unless there's a specific player they covet. <br /><br /> I just want to add another 2nd rounder or 3rd so we can add some of those offensive and defensive linemen. <br /><br /> Right now the Raiders have two firsts and two seconds. We can get a decent offensive lineman at #23 so I wouldn't mind trading down. Maybe if we offer our #18 and our fifth rounder we could get one of those second rounders from them (along with #23, of course).

Just say no to men named LeCharles!<br /><br />In all seriousness, though, if we do not go DT at #18, it will because either Harrington has fallen and we take him, or there is a wideout that's attractive.<br /><br />Dave: if you seriously think that Spurrier is going to draft a guard in the first round, you probably need to be keel hauled for a couple of hours until you regain your senses. I appreciate that you're talking about what you want, but sorry buddy, it ain't happening.

It's not the focus of our discussions, but if he's still there in the 4th or 5th rounds, I'd take Nebraska's Crouch in a heartbeat. The guy's athletic, intelligent and a leader. He'd at least be a contributing special teamer and/or return man, and he might even develop into a good scat back or perhaps a third WR like Eric Metcalf or Tim Dwight. He's a good guy to have, and far too many teams will be caught up in his small size and the fact that he'll be playing a new position.

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by redman:<br /><strong>It's not the focus of our discussions, but if he's still there in the 4th or 5th rounds, I'd take Nebraska's Crouch in a heartbeat. The guy's athletic, intelligent and a leader. He'd at least be a contributing special teamer and/or return man, and he might even develop into a good scat back or perhaps a third WR like Eric Metcalf or Tim Dwight. He's a good guy to have, and far too many teams will be caught up in his small size and the fact that he'll be playing a new position.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">I'd take a shot at Crouch in the late 6th or 7th round.<br /><br />What about Shaun Hill from Maryland? I know he doesn't have an NFL arm or mobility but he's smart as heck and he's tough. i might not draft him but I wouldn't mind bringing him in as a free agent.

We have Brandt who is a natural Center who logged time last year as a guard.<br /><br />We don't need to draft skill guys 1st in every draft and then the following offseason have to look at the interior of the offense and defense.<br /><br />Its time to get blue chippers at those positions.<br /><br />I still envy the Seahawks for getting the Guard I wanted last year because they now have the left side shored up and can run and pass block just as effectively.

The Redskins options for the first round are as follow:<br /><br />#1 Option: Joey Harrington<br />#2 Option: a stud Wide Receiver (Lelie, Gaffney, Bryant, Walker or even Reed)<br />#3 Option: DT = If Haynesworth or Sims fall to the 18th. spot, then this option leapfrogs to #2<br />#4 Trade Down and select the best available "player"

Archived