Extremeskins

Redkskins-Cowboys signals start of showtime

TK

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.hts/sports/2194809

Nov. 1, 2003, 10:16AM

Redkskins-Cowboys signals start of showtime

By JAYNE CUSTRED

Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle

IRVING -- For most Cowboys fans, the show at Valley Ranch started the day Bill Parcells took over as head coach in Dallas.

But for Parcells, November is showtime.

After a surprising 5-1 start, then a disappointing second loss last week in Tampa Bay, Parcells believes the season begins now.

"This month will be showtime for the Dallas Cowboys," Parcells said. "Either you've got it or you don't have it. When this month is over, I'll know a lot more about the Dallas Cowboys, the people on the Dallas Cowboys and where the future will be for some of those people."

The message has never been clearer. Pick up the pace or pack up your stuff.

Beginning today with the Washington Redskins, the Cowboys have four out of five games at home. In Parcells' mind, there's no reason the Cowboys can't take advantage of that home-field advantage. Yes, these will be some of the toughest teams the Cowboys face all year, including the 4-4-Bills, the 6-1 Panthers and the 5-2 Dolphins. But Parcells doesn't believe that makes it a bad stretch.

"I told the team we need to play our best football," Parcells said. "We have a hard schedule, but it's also a good schedule, with all those home games. It could be to our advantage. If we can play good football and get to December, we'll have a chance. If we don't, we'll be a middle-of-the-pack team, or maybe less."

The Cowboys will have a hard test today. The rivalry between the Cowboys and Redskins has always been a heated one, and if Dallas can't step it up on offense, it could be a long day.

In an effort to spark the running game, Parcells signed veteran running back Adrian Murrell to a one-year contract on Wednesday. Parcells said the move was to give the offense some flexibility, especially since fullback Richie Anderson is struggling with a neck and shoulder strain. Last week, running back Troy Hambrick was held to a season-low 25 yards on 11 carries. He is averaging 3.2 yards per carry for the season.

Murrell is a 10-year veteran out of West Virginia who rushed for more than 1,000 yards each season from 1996 to 1998 and last played as a backup for the Redskins in 2000.

"We're trying to get a little more versatility in our running game," Parcells said. "I knew Richie was questionable, and I needed more options than what we had. I have an idea of what he (Murrell) was able to once do, and I think there is a place for that if we can get back some version of Adrian Murrell."

Quarterback Quincy Carter will also have to improve on his numbers if the Cowboys are going to move the ball against the Redskins. Carter threw two interceptions and was sacked four times at Tampa Bay.

"We lost our swagger a little, and it means a lot to us to get it back," Carter said. "I'm positive we're headed in the right direction. This is a heated rivalry, and we expect an all-out effort by them. I'm also expecting my football team to come out and be ready for them."

As is defensive tackle La'Roi Glover.

"We just have to make up our minds and decide what kind of team we want to be," he said. "We've got a heck of an opportunity in front of us. It's up to the players. It's not up to the coaches."

But there's at least one coach standing on the Dallas sidelines who's ready to see a real show.

"We could play to our top level and still get beat," Parcells said. "But we didn't do that last Sunday. Right now, with the exception of Kansas City, I don't think any of the divisions are settled. I think a lot could happen.

"There's nine games left. It's showtime. You can play yourself into contention or out of it. The picture on Dec 1 will be pretty clear."

Archived