Extremeskins

Redskins.com:Champ's Still Playing At A High Level

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12188

Champ's Still Playing At A High Level

11/01/2003

By Michael Richman

Redskins Insider

One week it’s the Falcons’ Peerless Price. The next week, it’s the Giants’ Amani Toomer. Later on comes the Bucs’ Keyshawn Johnson. And tomorrow, against the Dallas Cowboys at Texas Stadium, it’ll be Terry Glenn, and Joey Galloway at times, too.

The list of top-flight receivers that Champ Bailey lines up against—that player dangerous enough to single-handedly take over a game—keeps expanding each week. That’s no problem for the Redskins’ cornerback, a highly regarded player in his own right. The 6-0, 192-pounder, equipped with 4.2 speed in the 40, thrives on shutting receivers down.

“I love it,” he said earlier this year. “That’s what I dream about every night, matching up against the top guy, because I know that’s going to drive me to be the best.”

This year, Bailey has been playing despite a sprained left shoulder and a slightly fractured wrist suffered in the Week 3 game against the New York Giants.

He’ll play through the injuries again on Sunday—and he’s especially needed because of injuries to Fred Smoot, who is doubtful but may play, and Rashad Bauman, who is questionable.

“This is a crucial game,” Bailey said. “We want to get back to .500 and hopefully excel from there. We’re not going to look at playing Dallas any different than playing any other team, but we know we need to get it done on Sunday.”

Being among the premiere cornerbacks is just what the Redskins expected from Bailey when they drafted him in the first round of the 1999 NFL Draft.

In his first four seasons, he intercepted 16 passes, including five each in his first two years, and averaged 72 tackles. A model of durability, he has started every game of his professional career, including two playoff outings in 1999.

The 2002 season was perhaps his best all-around season. He picked off three passes and posted a career-high 84 tackles (67 solo), many of which saw him come up from his cornerback position to trip up ballcarriers around the line of scrimmage. He also handled some of the Redskins’ punt return duties, returning a career-high 24 for 238 yards (9.9 yard average).

In the end, he became the first Redskins player to earn three straight trips to the Pro Bowl since Ken Harvey from 1995-97.

This year, Bailey has one interception and is sixth on the team in tackles with 35 (31 solo). He also has eight passes defensed, even though teams rarely throw in his direction.

“Champ’s been in position [to intercept more passes],” head coach Steve Spurrier said. “But things have happened, a tipped ball or something, that has prevented it.”

Redskins' right tackle Jon Jansen is among Bailey’s many teammates who believe it’s a tremendous comfort know No. 24 is manning one of the cornerback position. Jansen has been here equally as long as Bailey; both were draft picks in 1999 and are among the senior members on the team.

“It’s great to have the confidence to know he’s going to shut down somebody no matter what,” Jansen said. “Everybody makes a mistake here or there, but he makes so few and covers so well, it’s a huge boost to the whole team.”

When Bailey entered the league after a star-studded career at the University of Georgia, where he won the Bronko Nagurski Award as the nation’s top defensive player in 1998, he was praised by many for quickly mastering the NFL learning curve. A major reason for his acceleration was the presence of Redskins’ legendary cornerback Darrell Green, who helped tutor and mold him into a more skilled player.

Bailey has since returned the favor for Smoot, who has fast picked up the intricacies to the point that he has led the Redskins in interceptions the past two years. The two form one of the best cornerback tandems in the NFL.

“We can play off each other, we don’t even have to know the call,” said Smoot, who said on Friday that he hopes to play in Sunday’s game at Dallas. “From the time I came here, he has taken me under his wings. Any time he sees me doing something wrong, he gets on me. He’s teaching me the small things I need to know to get to the Pro Bowl. We’ve been like brothers.”

Away from the game, one can see that the loquacious Smoot—for good or bad—has also rubbed off on the more modest and reserved Bailey.

“I’ve brought him out, made him more vocal,” Smoot said, smiling. “He’s so quiet, but now he’s really talking more. He’s showing his emotions.”

In all, Bailey has made such a mark on the Redskins and the NFL, from starting assignments in Pro Bowls to the Quarterback Club Redskins Player of the Year award in 2000. What’s left for one of the best cornerbacks in the league?

“If I play well, Pro Bowls are going to come,” he said. “But that’s not what I’m shooting for. I want a Super Bowl ring. That’s going to be the biggest thing for me, getting that ring.”

“This is a crucial game,” Bailey said. “We want to get back to .500 and hopefully excel from there. We’re not going to look at playing Dallas any different than playing any other team, but we know we need to get it done on Sunday.”

They should look at playing dallas as the biggest game(s) of the year. Its not just any other team - its the freaking cowboys!

HTTR!

:cheers:

Archived