Extremeskins

Redskins.com: Smoot Practices Lightly, Still Listed As Doubtful

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12182

Smoot Practices Lightly, Still Listed As Doubtful

10/30/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

Fred Smoot returned to the practice fields Thursday and worked in non-contact drills. The third-year cornerback, listed as doubtful for Sunday’s game at Dallas, is still holding out hope that he can play.

“Smoot was out covering today,” head coach Steve Spurrier said. “I don’t think he’s supposed to hit anybody yet. But he’s running around and he’s much better. I’d still say he’s doubtful for Sunday’s game.”

If Smoot is unable to play, the Redskins could be forced to shift backup safety David Terrell to cornerback and play rookies Ade Jimoh or Calvin Carlyle.

Nickel cornerback Rashad Bauman is listed as questionable for the game with sprained ankle and he was walking around Redskin Park on Thursday still wearing a protective boot. He suffered the injury during practice earlier this week. Complete Injury Report.

The Redskins’ banged-up secondary, which includes Pro Bowler Champ Bailey who will play despite wrist and shoulder injuries, will be facing one of the NFL’s top group of wide receivers in Terry Glenn, Joey Galloway and Antonio Bryant.

“Those guys can fly down the field,” said safety Matt Bowen. “We can’t focus on just stopping one guy. If you do that, one of the others will burn you. Overall, we have to limit their ability to make big plays.”

Added Terrell: “I’m looking at this game like it’s a track meet. All three of these guys have top-notch speed. There might be some situations where we match up with certain receivers, but for the most part, we’re just going to line up with the guy in front of us and try to come out on top.”

Jimoh would likely move into the third cornerback role if both Smoot and Bauman cannot play. The undrafted rookie out of Utah State struggled in two games earlier this year but feels he has improved since then.

“I feel like I’m getting better,” he said. “You’re going to have good plays and bad plays. All you have to do is just build from them. And as a cornerback, you have to have a very short memory. The only time I remember those things is when somebody brings them up.”

Extra Points

Spurrier on Bill Parcells: “I know him a little bit. We haven’t spent a lot of time together. But I’ve met him a few times. I’m not completely surprised at the success he’s having in Dallas. He’s a good coach and they have good players. They’re playing well.”

Newly signed defensive tackle Darrell Russell is expected to play between 15-25 plays on Sunday.

The Redskins released defensive end Ron Warner on Thursday. The team was required to release a player after signing Russell.

Former Redskins linebacker Shawn Barber stopped by Redskin Park on Thursday to visit with friends and teammates. Barber plays for the Kansas City Chiefs, who have a bye this weekend.

Archived