Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Richmond Times-Dispatch-Russell, rap sheet go to Washington

TK

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=RTD%2FMGArticle%2FRTD_BasicArticle&c=MGArticle&cid=1031771827821&path=!sports!redskins&s=1045855935462

Russell, rap sheet go to Washington

Desperate Redskins gamble on defensive tackle with a record

BY PAUL WOODY

TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER Oct 29, 2003

ASHBURN - Desperate to win and willing to take a risk to do so, the Washington Redskins took perhaps their biggest gamble in years yesterday when they agreed to contract terms with defensive tackle Darrell Russell.

Some players carry a bit of personal baggage with them. Russell brings an entire luggage compartment to Washington.

No one disputes that Russell is an outstanding defensive tackle. But he spent the past 1½ seasons on the NFL's suspension list for violations of the league's substance-abuse policy.

In addition to that, in September of 2002, 25 felony charges against Russell were dropped when prosecutors said they could not prove he videotaped a woman being raped by two of his friends. In August of 2002, he was arrested and charged with suspicion of drunken driving and speeding outside Carson City, Nevada. It was unclear last night how those charges were resolved.

Russell's lengthy NFL suspension came after failing one drug test, missing another, which the NFL counts as a failed test, and then failing a third test. Russell later admitted the third test showed the drug Ecstasy was in his system but claimed it was from a drink that had been spiked without his knowledge.

Initially, Russell's suspension was for a year, but NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue extended it indefinitely because he was unhappy with Russell's behavior during the suspension.

Russell said he was informed his suspension had been lifted last Thursday.

The Oakland Raiders, the team that made Russell the No. 2 overall draft pick out of Southern California in 1997, released Russell on Monday. In five seasons with the Raiders, he had 28 ½ sacks, 176 tackles, one interception and made two Pro Bowl appearances.

The Redskins, needing help in the interior of their defensive line, began their pursuit of Russell immediately. Russell's contract technically is for $1.5 million for the 2003 season. Since he will play in just nine games, the pro-rated portion of the deal will give Russell about $800,000 for this season.

"I think Snyder is taking a big gamble with me," Russell said. "Look at my past and look at the way everyone views me at this time. Whether he needs a 'D' [defensive] tackle or not, I think enough people are on his back as it is.

"All I'm going to do is go out there and give all I have so I can look at myself in the mirror. And if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out. But the probability of it not working out is really low from my track record on the field."

"Snyder" is Redskins owner Dan Snyder.

Redskins coach Steve Spurrier termed this an "organization decision."

"We don't have a lot to lose except taking a bad hit 'PR' wise," Spurrier said. "There are a lot of players in this league that have a lot more serious charges against them than what he had. He was never convicted of anything except having Ecstasy in his system."

When it was pointed out to Spurrier that Russell had faced 25 felony charges, Spurrier said, "He's not in jail, is he? The NFL says he can play. When the NFL says they're eligible to play, they're eligible to play. They're pretty thorough."

Russell, 6-5 and 325 pounds, could play as soon as Sunday when the Redskins play in Dallas, but he has not played in a game since December of 2001.

"I've been playing football for almost 20 years, I don't think it's going to take too much [to get ready to play]," Russell said. "I have to get used to the everyday bumps and bruises and putting on pads and running into other grown men. I'll come out to practice tomorrow, [today] try to get the terminology down and go from there."

Spurrier said he talked to several players about adding Russell, and all were in favor of the idea.

"As far as football, the guy is a great player," said Redskins defensive end Regan Upshaw, who played beside Russell in Oakland. "Physically, he's one of the best specimens in the league. He can do anything. And I'm sure all the problems he has have been worked out.

"I'm not really concerned with the other things. That's his business. I feel like sometimes God and life teach you lessons you need to learn. If you learn from them, you're a better man. Considering the lessons he has faced, I'm sure he's grown and will be ready for the challenge."

AND FURTHERMORE: Starting running back Trung Canidate (sprained ankle) took part in some drills yesterday but is doubtful for Sunday. Backup Ladell Betts is doubtful with a broken arm. Starting cornerback Fred Smoot (fractured sternum, bruised chest) is doubtful and did not practice yesterday. Backup Rashad Bauman has a sprained ankle, did not practice and left Redskin Park on crutches.

Contact Paul Woody at (804) 649-6444 or pwoody@timesdispatch.com.

Archived