Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Fox Sports: U. Maryland to induct Len Bias into Athletics HOF

Bliz

I didn't know he wasn't in already.  Despite the circumstances, it wouldn't have occurred to me.  A drug overdose is a terrible thing, but it's not an Aaron Hernandez situation. 

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-basketball/story/maryland-to-induct-len-bias-into-athletics-hall-of-fame-071614

More than 28 years after his death from a cocaine overdose, the University of Maryland announced on Wednesday it will induct Len Bias into its Athletics Hall of Fame.

Bias died on June 19, 1986, two days after he was the No. 2 overall selection in the NBA Draft by the Boston Celtics. It was subsequently determined that a cocaine overdose had led to the tragedy.

Bias' college coach, Lefty Driesell, told the Baltimore Sun he is glad his former star player will be honored.

"It's great to hear about Lenny," Driesell said. "I was elated that he got in. It's a long time coming."

The UMCP athletics scene was very slow in fully moving on from Len's death, even after Gary's 2002 championship.  To this day there is still a certain tinge of weirdness about the topic.  Not surprised that this move took a long time to happen.

Archived