Extremeskins

Quotes From Redskin Park, Oct. 22

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12147

Quotes From Redskin Park, Oct. 22

10/22/2003

HEAD COACH STEVE SPURRIER

On Wednesday’s practice:

“We had a good practice. Defensive guys were really flying around today. The guys have a lot of enthusiasm. But we have to take it to the ballpark on Sundays. We need to do that.”

On the offense’s difficulties:

“We’ve been stagnant. We’ve not made much happen.”

On Laveranues Coles:

”Laveranues had a little bit of a turf toe earlier. So we held him out. But he should be fine going into next week. So we’re keeping him out."

On coming together at practice:

“Yes, there was a lot of enthusiasm today. Hopefully it will continue. Hopefully it will carry over into Sunday, because that’s when it counts.”

On if the team can overcome adversity:

“We’ll find out. We’re going to try and regroup and play hard and smart and disciplined. Hopefully we can get our point across in the next two weeks.”

On whether he’d rather be playing this Sunday instead of a bye:

“No, we probably need a week off. We’ve hit a downward spiral. So we need to regroup somewhat and try to get to a higher level.”

On whether the losses have affected his confidence about the team:

“No, not really. We think we’re a good team. But until we start playing like it, it’s just all talk. The last couple games, we’ve not performed very well.”

On altering the protection schemes:

“Most of our problems haven’t been just who’s [one-on-one with a defensive lineman]. It’s been pressures and guys getting run around. Our protection schemes are okay. We need to block a little bit better all the way around.”

On consultants coming in to review game tape:

“I hope [it helps]. We’ll get a report from Foge Fazio and Joe Bugel and take a look at it, and try to get some tips from it. I think they’re just trying to see if we’re in positions and fundamentally sound.”

On possibly implementing changes to the starting lineup for the next game:

“There could be [changes]. It’s too early [to announce changes]. This is not a week to talk a lot (because of the bye), to tell you the truth. We just need to practice up this week, try to regroup somewhat and hone in on the Cowboys next week. That’s what we’re going to do.”

PATRICK RAMSEY (QB, #11)

On the team coming together:

“This is a time for us to pull together. There’s no other thing in our mind. I think we’ve had a couple good practices this week. We’re just going to keep working. We know we have the talent to do it.”

On whether he still believes in the protection schemes:

“The day I don’t have faith in what I’m doing is the day I shouldn’t be playing. I’m going to be out there every week because I do have faith in everyone around me.”

On consultants coming in to review game tape:

“After three losses, team officials have shown they want to win. That’s what they're striving for in the guys they bring in and the coaches they bring in. I think we’ll welcome anything that makes us a better team and helps us win. If it helps us, I think we’ll all welcome it. But I don’t really know much about [the consultants], to be honest with you.”

On what lies ahead for this team:

“I’m just looking at Dallas. I’m looking to win this football game, get to 4-4 and get going again. We could be right back in the race with one win.”

On the recent struggles of the offense:

"At critical junctures in the game, we make mistakes or don’t make a big play. This being my second year, I’m just striving every play to try and do the best I can possibly do. So it’s hard for me to evaluate schematically what we’re doing wrong."

On what he’ll do during the bye week:

“I’m going to take some game tape with me, and I’m going home to Louisiana. But I’ll be back Saturday night.”

TIM HASSELBECK (QB)

On when he learned the Redskins were interested:

"They gave me a call on Tuesday morning and asked me to come out for a workout. I’d been to [other teams'] workouts before and a lot of times they do it just to get an inventory and keep evaluating guys. I didn’t know if I was coming in for just a workout or if they were legitimately interested in signing a quarterback.”

On whether he fits the mold of a Spurrier quarterback:

"I think it’s a little early for me to say. I’m coming from a West Coast Offense, in terms of a lot of my college experience and in terms of my experience in the pros. I can say that a lot of the concepts made sense to me. These are things that I’ve done before and seen before and been coached on before."

On what it’s like to join the team so suddenly:

"That’s how it’s always worked out for me. Last year with Carolina when Rodney Peete and Chris Weinke were hurt, I was the No. 2 quarterback when we played Tampa Bay. There was a point in the game where they told me to warm up because [Carolina starter] Randy Fasani had just gotten hit by Derrick Brooks. And the same thing happened in Philadelphia when Donovan McNabb got hurt and Koy Detmer hyper-extended his elbow a week later. I was the No. 2 quarterback with A.J. Feeley starting. It’s crazy how it happens, where one day you’re on the street and the next day you could be playing almost a full game. But I’ve come to realize that if I’m going to make my mark in this league, it’s going to have to happen this way.”

On playing Seattle in a few weeks (where his brother Matt is the starting quarterback):

"I got to play him last year when I was in Philadelphia. At that point, I was the holder. My family’s been extremely blessed. My father played nine years in the NFL and my brother’s career has been great. Obviously, things for me have been more about finding a way to work out. But the opportunity to have that little bit of a rivalry [with Matt] is fun."

Archived