Extremeskins

Redskins Have Spirited Practice

TK

http://www.redskins.com/story.asp?ContentID=12144

Redskins Have Spirited Practice

10/22/2003

By Gary Fitzgerald

Redskins.com

The Redskins practiced in full pads Wednesday morning as the team continued to regroup from the 24-7 loss to the Buffalo Bills last Sunday. Head coach Steve Spurrier and several players said it was an upbeat, spirited tempo to help shake off the disappointment of three straight losses.

Running back Chad Morton said the players were surprised to be in full pads for the practice.

“We decided to make the most of it,” he said. “Randy Thomas and Jon Jansen were out there wrestling at one point. Then Jon said to me, ‘When you score, spike the ball and I’ll pick you up.’ We were doing all that extra stuff just to get excited.

“It picked the practice up, believe it or not. Guys saw that and said, ‘If Randy and Jon are fired up, I might as well be fired up, too.’ So it got the whole thing off to a good start.”

Added Spurrier: “We had a good practice. The defensive guys were really flying around. The guys have a lot of enthusiasm.”

The team needs to take that enthusiasm to the ballpark on Sundays, he emphasized.

“Hopefully it will carry over into Sunday, because that’s when it counts,” he said. “We’ll find out if we can overcome adversity. We’re going to regroup and play hard, smart and disciplined…Hopefully we’ll get our point across in the next two weeks.”

The sentiment among most of the players was that the bye was coming at a good time.

“The pros of having the bye are healing up and regrouping after three losses,” said quarterback Patrick Ramsey. “The cons are not having an opportunity to come back and play for two weeks. But I think the bye is coming at a time. For me personally, it comes at a good time so I can heal up and get started on this next series of games.”

Injury Update

Ramsey practiced Wednesday despite a bruised hand and bruised hip. He admitted he was surprised that he was able to heal quickly.

“I was able to throw okay,” Ramsey said. “Fortunately, I was able to heal quickly.”

Wide receiver Laveranues Coles did not practice due to a turf toe injury and Spurrier said Coles should be able to practice next week and play against Dallas.

Left tackle Chris Samuels (pinched nerve in neck) and Martin Chase (strained quad) also did not practice.

Cornerback Fred Smoot is still out with a bruised clavicle. His status for the Dallas game on Nov. 2 will be determined next week.

On the Running Backs

Trung Canidate did not practice Wednesday, deciding to rest his ankle sprain. But he said afterwards that he still hopes to be ready to play in the Dallas game.

Ladell Betts is expected to miss the game with a fractured left forearm suffered in last Sunday’s game at Buffalo.

With Canidate and Betts sitting out practice, undrafted rookie Sultan McCullough is getting a long look by the coaching staff.

“We’ll get Sultan ready to play a little bit now,” Spurrier said. “Certainly he’s more in the mix of things now.”

Keep this tempo up, and bring on Dallas!

See guys Spurrier is doing the right things, practice in full pads, good move!

Defensive guys flying around the ball???? Oh my god I dont think i've seen that since 01 when we played Philly at Philly and gave up 1 first down the whole first half.

Originally posted by MikeB

I like how they pretend they are good in practice. Really translates on to the field, doesn't it... :rolleyes:

Please. Do it when it counts. :mad:

Agree MikeB. Pretty easy to have a spirited PRACTICE...show me something on Sunday.

Archived