Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

GQ : The Second Coming Of RG3

TheDiplomat

Great Reading! HTTR

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/sports/201309/robert-griffin-iii-rg3-gq-cover-story-interview-september-2013?currentPage=1 (Full Article)

The RG3 Outtakes from his GQ Cover Story

My interview with Robert Griffin III at Redskins Park in Ashburn, Virginia lasted more than two hours and covered everything from the white "samurai-style" headband he'd been wearing during practice to his upcoming honeymoon (in Paris) to the status of his rehab to his thoughts on Donovan McNabb's controversial news-making comments to offer Griffin some advice on how to conduct himself as an NFL quarterback. ("I don't think Donovan is an idiot by any means," he told me. "But right now, it's probably best we don't talk.") Much of our conversation wound up in my cover story, but not all of it. Here, a few choice extras.

On comments his father gave reporters during the off-season, in which Robert Griffin Jr. expressed his opinion that RG3 should be throwing the ball more—and running the ball less—during his second season:

"He's not just a dad, he is my coach. My dad is my coach, okay? He's coached me in basketball, track, football, everything. So even though I give credit where credit is due to the coaches who have helped me through the years, my dad has been my coach. So when he says, ‘Hey, my son can throw,' he knows that. That's not just him saying that as some father who knows nothing about football. That's what he's supposed to say. He doesn't want me running when there are 260-pound guys trying to tackle me. That's just his view, and that's why I can't just say, ‘Dad, don't say that.' I can say, ‘Dad, I understand why you said that. You know, maybe you don't need to talk to the media anymore,' but I'm also not going to throw my dad under the bus to the media just because someone wants me to do that. I would never dothat. So I understand why my dad said it, and I think Coach [shanahan] understands why my dad said it, and you just move on from it."

On his rep for being a teetotaler:

"Never had a drop. I don't smoke, I don't drink, I've never done any drugs. I need my body to be at its peak performance, and I want to have a long career, and alcohol can inhibit that sometimes. And I don't need to get in trouble because I went out and got drunk one night and I don't know how to be drunk. But she"—he nodded at Rebecca, his wife, who sat with us for part of the interview—"drinks, and I don't judge, and what I've told her a bunch of times is the first time I drink, I'll drink with her. When I'm done playing and I retire, and it's time for me to go sit in a big house and do nothing all day, I'm going to drink. You know?"

On the growing sense an active NFL player will come out of the closet in the near future:

"Yeah, man. I think there are [gay players] right now, and if they're looking for a window to just come out, I mean, now is the window. My view on it is, yes, I am a Christian, but to each his own. You do what you want to do. If some Christians want to look at being gay as a sin, then thinking about other women, committing adultery—or any of those other sins that are in the Bible—those are sins, too. And God looks at all of us the same way."

On the monotony of rehab, especially the first month or so after his operation in early January:

"It's really boring. You're doing straight leg raises. You're bending your knee. What people don't realize who've never torn an ACL or have never had a significant leg injury is that you have to learn how to stand up again. You get dizzy. Sometimes you're in a wheelchair; sometimes you're in crutches. When you stand up again that's taxing on your body. It's actually very difficult for our bodies to stand up all day, and you don't realize that until you're injured."

And finally, answers to a fewquestions my nine-year-old son told me to ask him.

Favorite food?

"Quesadilla casserole. Rebecca makes it. It really is my favorite, though."

Best friend on the team?

"I'm trying to think. I'm a natural loner. I can hang out with everybody, but I don't have a best friend. Let me think. Oh. Probably [cornerback] Richard Crawford."

Scariest defensive player in the league?

"I'd have to go in our division: DeMarcus Ware. I don't ever fear a player, but D Ware, he got me good twice last year. Took my head off."

http://www.gq.com/bl...w-outtakes.html

RG3 talking about his dad?  Clearly he is insubordinate and this shows that there is a rift in the family.  I don't know RG3 and RG2 will ever reconcile, that's a huge burden to bear, I think RG3 should just retire right now and apologize to his dad.

Archived