Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sporting News 1/10/83 Theismann/Riggins

stratoman

Code....I was watching the 1999 Skins-Lions wildcard game last night, and it opened with a Ford Ranger commercial starring big John Riggins wearing full camouflage. His truck is camo as well, except for 'Riggo's Ranger' in bold letters on the side. You forget what a beast he was until you see him in his youth. Guy was a truckload.

It's funny, but one of the biggest, hit by a truck impact I ever saw Riggens do, was when he was a lead blocker. Detroit Lions, unsure of the year, goaline play. Riggens lead blocking for somebody, and puts a "I'm Batman" hit on the linebacker at the goaline that just puts the man on the turf. Hit him stupid. Guy was just physical. And tough. And could do all this on what had to be on more than one ocassion a pretty good hangover. Now that's a ball player. :silly:

:cheers:

My favorite Riggo moment was, and don't quote me on any of this, just know it happened, was in 1983 against I think Chicago. Riggo is blast through the line and the linebackers with one man to beat for a 40 something yard touchdown. A cornerback that was just barely bigger than DG tries to tackle him with a spear type tackle, bounces off and lands about 6 yards out of bounce. Riggins swatted him like a fly and ran the remaining 5 yards for a touch.

I remember a agame against Atlanta where while crossing the goal line he just CRUSHED some silly a$$ed LB, goes in for the score and while the wasted LB is trying to pick up his teeth and pride, Riggo just calmly flips the ball to the ref and trots on back to the oxygen and puts in his black knit cap.

One of a kind. Hall of Famer.

Originally posted by garry

RIGGINS WAS ONE OF A KIND. IT'LL BE A LONG TIME BEFORE ANOTHER WILL COME ALONG. EVERYBODY WANTS SPEED NOW , RATHER THAN THE POWER RIGGINS HAD.

Actually Garry, Riggo had some wheels. I do know what you mean though. But with Tomilson, Ricky Williams and yes, our own Stephen Davis, we are seeing the re-emergence of the power back.

MAN, I love that type of football.

Archived