Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Robert Griffin Scholarship

texasthunder

Here is a article from our local paper, I will post a link, but some articles are restricted to subscribers only.

That’s right. In case you missed it, this week Baylor announced the establishment of a scholarship for quarterbacks in Griffin’s honor and bearing his name. Eventually, Baylor hopes the scholarship will be fully endowed. The news was made public on “RG3 Day” at the State Capitol.

“These kinds of scholarships are not completely unheard of, but it is rare,” Baylor athletic director Ian McCaw said. “Robert is a very extraordinary individual, which is why the administration put together this scholarship to honor him. ... His poise and maturity are unlike any athlete I’ve ever been around.”

Griffin is such a gifted speaker that Baylor borrowed the words of his Heisman acceptance speech and made a university-promoting commercial out of them.

“I was down at the ‘RG3 Day’ at the Capitol, and all the senators and representatives came away so impressed with him,” McCaw said.

But just as faith without works is dead, empty words are equally lifeless. This again is where RG3 shines. He doesn’t just say the right thing, he follows through with action. He’s generous with his time and his talents, and hasn’t forgotten from whence he came.

There was Griffin in Copperas Cove for the dedication of Robert Griffin III Boulevard.

There was Griffin giving a pregame pep talk to the BU men’s basketball team prior to its home finale upset of Kansas. There he was again at spring football practice, shouting encouragement to new signal-caller Bryce Petty. And should the Lady Bears reach the Final Four in New Orleans as expected, Griffin is already on record as saying that he’ll make every effort to be there.

Griffin isn’t perfect, mind you. On the gridiron, he clearly needs to rein in some of his open-field recklessness, lest he wind up in a full-body cast in less than five years. Away from the field, I’ve never encountered an athlete who had a harder time giving credit to the opponent than Griffin. His pride and dyed-in-the-wool competitiveness always got in the way. Losses or mistakes were always about what we didn’t do rather than what the other team did. I think he’d sooner pile lima beans and cod liver oil on his Subway sandwich than admit that someone was better than him, even for a day.

http://www.wacotrib.com/sports/baylor/rg3/cherry-year-later-rg-still-big-man-on-campus/article_80328497-8c23-572e-b55b-6912ae223206.html

Good lord, every time I see anything about Griff, my reaction always is "I'm damn happy he's on my team" then "Man, I guess he really is as good as advertised, both on and off the field", and finally the inevitable depression upon introspection of my own life. :pfft:

Wow... Never met him, but he seems like a great human being. Does and says the right things...incredible talent. I hope like heck he comes back better than ever and rewrites NFL history. This guy gets it and then some. I think he'll protect himself better and still amaze. HTTR!

Archived