Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Observations From the Field

Mahons21

First off would like congratulate the Redskins on fine season. I understand there may be a bitter taste in your mouth now, but I also know there's also a sense of "we'll be back here next year" for the first time in a long time. These guys played their hearts out this year, and my hats off to them.

I would also like to quickly add that I had an absolutely wonderful gameday experience, that was family friendly. I'd recommend a playoff game to ANYONE, young and old. I hope the horror stories of a few do not prevent anyone from this surreal experience.

Since I was lucky enough to go to the game yesterday, I thought I would share my layman opinions (from a very different standpoint then TV) with the class, and I encourage anyone else who was at the game to do the same.

Defense:

-On the several successful plays where Seattle would run play action and have a back/te chip then release to flat, it appeared Riley was supposed to be manned up with the open player. Multiple times after these plays hall would look to the sideline raising his arms to his shoulders, and afterwards would go slap Riley on the head with a "c'mon man". In addition Riley had a little talking to from Haslett after they scored a TD on this play to the TE.

**A Keim article says it was on Zo, either way, point remains the same our LBs outside of Fletcher and maybe Jackson, could use some work in coverage.

-M Williams needs to be gone. In my opinion he attempts to play instinctively, but he doesn't have great instincts. Wilson had huge run up the middle on one play and M Williams had all but abandoned his deep middle 1/3 allowing what should have been an 8-10 yard run go for 20+ IIRC. Much like Riley, Hall had something to say when to Williams after this play.

-Speaking of Hall, after watching this game in person and the last dallas game, I'm starting to develop a theory that he's much better than being given credit for. Hall falls in the, I know some of my teammates struggle, so I have to attempt to compensate for them category in my opinion. Hall isn't a perfect corner by any means, but he's pretty damn good.

-Cofield shouldn't be a 2-gapping NT. A fair amount of times in yesterdays game it appeared that Cofield chose the wrong gap and a giant hole would open up for lynch right in the middle. Don't get me wrong I love me some Cofield, but he's not the man for that job. If they could play Cofield as a 5-tech DE v heavy packages and as an interior linemen rushing the passer in Nickel, I really believe you'd see a much better Cofield. Still strong at the POA.

-Stephen Bowen may challenge Rak or Kerrigan as the second best player in our front 7 behind Fletcher. Bowen consistently chooses the right gap, and holds up at the POA. I envision him and Rak developing into something dominant next season.

-Fletcher continues to be one of the most reliable tacklers in the NFL. Speaking of reliable tacklers, Reed Doughty is slowly starting to make a name for himself. Not only is he making the tackles, he's starting to bring the pain too. Maybe there's a reason so many different coaching staffs have held on to him.

-Wilson is a fairly good cover corner, but he's caught trailing too consistently. Some of these plays could have called for underneath coverage, but with no safety help (or Madieu was off doing his own thing again) I doubt that was the call. In my opinion he needs to work on technique.

-Kerrigan in my opinion gets caught flat footed to much, I sometimes question if he has agility to be an all around LB. He had Lynch dead to rights on one play, but Lynch's cut back was just too much for him.

Have to run now, but will update with offense later.

Archived