Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Robert Griffin III should pass and scramble but cut back on designed runs

Oldfan

...The positive impact on the running game from QB read option plays are non-exsistent on QB scramble plays...
Your post was interesting. I learned some things about the read option, but if there was anything in it that supported your claim that the read-option made the ENTIRE offense more effective, I missed it. How would the read-option create 11 on 11 on any play in the scheme other than the read-option? Perhaps an example?

Your post was interesting. I learned some things about the read option, but if there was anything in it that supported your claim that the read-option made the ENTIRE offense more effective, I missed it. How would the read-option create 11 on 11 on any play in the scheme other than the read-option? Perhaps an example?
*Shrugs* The main components of an offense are the running game and passing game. I showed how the read option/zone read has a positive impact on the running game, play action and pass protection and those were the facets of the offense I was referring to.

---------- Post added October-30th-2012 at 09:56 AM ----------

Yes, scrambles are more 'statistically' effective then designed QB runs based on his metric. But those stats don't/can't quantify or measure the impact zone-read plays have on the entire offense (running game, pass protection and play-action). And its that overall impact that allows us to have our current offensive success. (and neither here nor there statistically Griffin's greatest risk of injury by concussion are on scrambles headed towards out of bounds.).

*Shrugs* The main components of an offense are the running game and passing game. I showed how the read option/zone read has a positive impact on the running game, play action and pass protection and those were the facets of the offense I was referring to.
Let me see if I can pin this down. You wrote about play action with respect to the read-option. What does that have to do with play-action of the ENTIRE scheme? Does the read-option play-action have any effect on the play-action that was already in the ZBS scheme?

Let me see if I can pin this down. You wrote about play action with respect to the read-option. What does that have to do with play-action of the ENTIRE scheme? Does the read-option play-action have any effect on the play-action that was already in the ZBS scheme?

I wrote about play action as one of the benefits of read option that scramble plays don't provide.

I'm not saying that zone-read plays have any impact on non-zone read plays. Rather that when we run zone read every aspect of the offense is better during those plays. The running game is more effective during read option. The play action is more effective because the running game is effective. The pass protection is better because the play action is more effective.

I wrote about play action as one of the benefits of read option that scramble plays don't provide.

I'm not saying that zone-read plays have any impact on non-zone read plays. Rather that when we run zone read every aspect of the offense is better during those plays. The running game is more effective during read option. The play action is more effective because the running game is effective. The pass protection is better because the play action is more effective.

Then I misunderstood what you meant when you said the read-option would make the entire offense better.

As you know, I don't follow the college game, so I'm shooting from the hip with these questions: The speed of the pro game and the position of the hashmarks -- doesn't this restrict effectiveness of the pitchout (sideline cramp)? Wouldn't a more elusive runner, like a Brian Westbrook type, be a better fit than Morris?

The speed of the pro game and the position of the hashmarks -- doesn't this restrict effectiveness of the pitchout (sideline cramp)?
Maybe so. It seems logical that the speed option would be limited to some extent (how much?) by the reduction in space from the college to the NFL. The reduction in space forces the QB to make their decision faster which could lead to more mistakes.
Wouldn't a more elusive runner, like a Brian Westbrook type, be a better fit than Morris?
Ideally? I think so.

But Morris can be effective enough. He runs through contact and generally gets the yards that are available, he seldom loses yards but he also lacks the speed to break the homerun when its there.

Archived