Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

MCNABB and eagles wake up

Chief skin

Originally posted by Henry

The best way to defend McNabb is to keep him in the pocket and make him beat you with his arm, which is not his forte. Don't let him get outside and make something of a broken play.

We actally match up pretty well defensively with the Eagles. We have big, slow Dlinemen who are best at maintaining a pocket and stuffing the run. We have excellent corners and decent safeties to minimize the impact of most WRs, and we have very fast LBs who keep backs from making much out of flat-passes. I'm not quite sure how the Eagle O will attack us.

Their defense will probably blitz us all day, but every team that has blitzed Ramsey has gotten burned by Ramsey. He doesn't get intimidated and he thrives on man coverage. Unless the Eagles get some of their secondary back, I don't know if throwing everything including the kitchen sink at Ramsey is the best way to go.

This game is no gimme by any means, but I think the Redskins have a good chance to take it.

Henry,

When they stuck to zone yesterday, Bledsoe ate them up. They'll need to force Ramsey into making quick decisions. They'll also need to hit him enough so that he coughs up the ball. Johnson will time his blitzes based on the performance of his front four. If they can generate a big enough push, he won't blitz nearly as much.

When he's confident, McNabb can play the role of pocket passer. It's not his best, and he will take advantage of any defensive breakdown caused by his running ability. There have been a number of games where his passes were as good as anyone's. There have unfortunately been even more games where he couldn't hit the proverbial broad side of the barn.

Reid will attack the Redskins D like any good defense. He'll use some trickery, some misdirection (not nearly enough!) and some play-action. In several cases yesterday, he set up play-action passes perfectly, and McNabb executed. On others, he misfired, overthrowing a sure TD.

Here's to a good game! :cheers:

Originally posted by BodyBagGame

Hey Blazers, let's face it - we're all looking forward to the two Freddies going at it. Seeing two modest, humble gentlemen like Misters Smoot and Mitchell engaging quietly in their craft will surely be an inspiration.

Put a mike on them both!

Supposedly, Moulds was talking a Brian-Mitchell-like blue streak to Sheldon Brown yesterday. Moulds made some plays, but never sniffed the endzone.

Originally posted by OaktonSkinsFan

Bottom line: This isn't the old Redskins' safety corps with Shade and Terrell. Thrash won't have D. Terrell to kick around anymore.

You're right, OSF. I'm sure going to miss Shade and Terrell. :) They were good for a PA TD pass or a long TD run per recent game.

Hopefully they'll mix in more LJ Smith at TE along with some Billy McMullen. They are two big (as in tall) receivers that may give the 'Skins some matchup problems. Thrash and Pinkston certainly don't.

I still see the 'Skins as not matching up well in DL vs. the Eagles OL. With any luck, the LB's will be in pursuit a lot on Sunday.

While I'd love to see another Eagles blow out win ;) I just can't see it happening. Spurrier has built a decent offense and is learning how to use it, and the defense is coming together. I think a weakness may be Arrington free-lancing too much, as in the Giants game. Soon, there will be enough tape on him in the current defense and teams will be able to predict his actions and will design plays to bait him into leaving his area of responsibility open.

Originally posted by Blazers21

Henry,

When they stuck to zone yesterday, Bledsoe ate them up. They'll need to force Ramsey into making quick decisions. They'll also need to hit him enough so that he coughs up the ball. Johnson will time his blitzes based on the performance of his front four. If they can generate a big enough push, he won't blitz nearly as much.

Bledsoe's a better QB than Ramsey is ... for now :silly: Ramsey still gets confused by zones. Belichek used a lot of zones and we ended up running a lot more than usual because of it. Truly, that's the best way to take our top weapon, Lavearneus Coles, out of the game. Or at least minimize him.

When he's confident, McNabb can play the role of pocket passer. It's not his best, and he will take advantage of any defensive breakdown caused by his running ability. There have been a number of games where his passes were as good as anyone's. There have unfortunately been even more games where he couldn't hit the proverbial broad side of the barn.

I hear ya. I'm not saying McNabb CAN'T throw from the pocket. It's just not what he does best. And the best way to defend against a QB is to take away what he does best and make him beat you with his less-than-stellar abilities. The Redskin defense is suited to do just that against McNabb. That's all I'm saying.

Originally posted by Henry

I hear ya. I'm not saying McNabb CAN'T throw from the pocket. It's just not what he does best. And the best way to defend against a QB is to take away what he does best and make him beat you with his less-than-stellar abilities. The Redskin defense is suited to do just that against McNabb. That's all I'm saying.

Understood, Henry. I'd defend him the same way. I'm just trying to convince/delude myself that he really can be an accurate pocket passer. :shoothead as another ball bounce three yards infront of an open reciever.

Archived