Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

HR 2052: Fort McClellan Health Registry Act

Teller

This was just brought to my attention last night, and I want to get it out to as many vets who were stationed at Fort McClellan as humanly possible.

Apparently, during our service there -- any time between Jan 1, 1935 and May 20, 1999, we may have been exposed to the utmost nastiness. Chemicals we may have been exposed to include Agent Orange, Sarin, depleted uranium, VX, GB, and mustard gas, among others.

HR 2052 seeks to create a registry of vets who served at McClellan during the dates above, and provide screenings and treatment for exposure. As far as I can tell, it's been in committee since Rep. Tonko introduced it a year ago, but I certainly commend him for his efforts. As soon as I get home from work today, I will be placing calls to his office and my own rep's, to express my gratitude, and to encourage support of this measure.

It is my understanding (though NOT confirmed) that the VA has granted us "presumptive exposure" status. This means that we do not have to jump through the usual hoops of trying to prove that any symptoms we may have are service related. My battle buddy from basic training called me last night to tell me about this, and he knows a soldier who was recently granted 100% disability based on the time he spent at Fort Mac.

If you served at McClellan, and especially if you're experiencing any symptoms, it's probably worth a call to your local VA rep for more details. I'll let you know what I find out once I have a chance to speak with mine.

http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/112/hr2052/text

Interesting - my father was stationed there from 1981-1983, and of course, my mom, brother, and I all lived on Fort McClellan. ****, because I lived on post for almost 3 years, I'm sure we were exposed too -- is there any talk about registering the dependants who may have been exposed????

Archived