Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Homer: What does Mike Shanahan look for in a quarterback?

themurf

Doesn't every coach want these skillsets in a QB though?

Other offenses -- including many versions of the West Coast offense in particular -- don't take nearly as many shots downfield. Other offenses are built around non-mobile quarterbacks who never leave the pocket. So no, not every coach is after the same exact skill set.

For example, let's focus on work ethic. Joe Gibbs was more than happy to let Clinton Portis get away with never practicing, so long as he was productive on Sunday. The same appears to be true of Donovan McNabb during his time with the Eagles (although, to a lesser extent). But Mike Shanahan has zero tolerance for players who don't work hard seven days a week. So McNabb was either going to develop better habits on the days the Redskins didn't have a game or he was going to be run out of town. You saw how that played out. And since Shanahan let Portis go twice (once in Denver and once in Washington), he's been consistent on that standard throughout his coaching tenure.

Murf,

First, let me say I agree 100% that RG3 and Tannehill are Shanahan QBs. Let me ask you a couple of questions:

1. Do you think Shanahan will trade our 2012 1,2,4 and 2013 1 for RG3 if Cleveland gets involved in the bidding considering this would be enough to land him?

2. If the bidding becomes to high for RG3, do you think Shanahan will select Tannehill with the No. 6 pick in the 1st round?

Murf,

First, let me say I agree 100% that RG3 and Tannehill are Shanahan QBs. Let me ask you a couple of questions:

1. Do you think Shanahan will trade our 2012 1,2,4 and 2013 1 for RG3 if Cleveland gets involved in the bidding considering this would be enough to land him?

2. If the bidding becomes to high for RG3, do you think Shanahan will select Tannehill with the No. 6 pick in the 1st round?

I know that Mike Shanahan likes Robert Griffin III. How much does he like him and how much is he willing to pay to get him? That's the million dollar question. I think that if it comes down to giving up this year's first and second round picks, as well as the first next year, he pulls the trigger. If the bidding war takes it up to three number ones, I think they pass though.

As for Tannehill, I've definitely started to warm up to the kid the more I've learned about him. I'm running something next week where someone who is very good at breaking down film helps explain why Tannehill could really excel in this offense. But I just can't see him going sixth overall. Most realistically I could see them trading down to the 12-15 range and grabbing him then if RGIII doesn't work out.

I know that Mike Shanahan likes Robert Griffin III. How much does he like him and how much is he willing to pay to get him? That's the million dollar question. I think that if it comes down to giving up this year's first and second round picks, as well as the first next year, he pulls the trigger. If the bidding war takes it up to three number ones, I think they pass though.

As for Tannehill, I've definitely started to warm up to the kid the more I've learned about him. I'm running something next week where someone who is very good at breaking down film helps explain why Tannehill could really excel in this offense. But I just can't see him going sixth overall. Most realistically I could see them trading down to the 12-15 range and grabbing him then if RGIII doesn't work out.

The only concern I have with trading down is another team like the Seahawks or possibly the Phins might select him if we don't pull the trigger on Tannehill at #6.

Archived