Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SOW| For Redskins Rookie Wide Receivers The Future Is Now

rd421

He's had ONE GAME, and you determine he runs sloppy routes? He's slow to get off the line, but he was one of the top receiving rookies in preseason? Yeah, it's preseason, but still.

I think people are willing to give the kid a chance before the right him off as a bust. It's not homerism. It's not given up on the guy without seeing him play extensively.

Did I say that I based my claims on just one game??

maybe I'm derailing the thread but why do people give Hank so much respect as if he's done anything? I do believe hank has a lot of talent but he runs horrible routes and is slow getting of the line.

All of this "we love hank" and "he's going to be a great WR IMO" is just homer-ism

People are always hopeful that the next guy will finally be the answer. I'm jaded enough that I really have to see a guy produce at WR for me to believe he will do the job.

Did I say that I based my claims on just one game??

I'm just saying. There's fans out there that are hoping he can develop into something special, or at least something good. He's got the right attitude and the right mindset, which is more than we can say for other receiving prospects. Most fans are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until he proves them wrong.

The future better be now. One of my biggest gripes with the Redskins in recent years is that we don't use our rookies enough.

The last time a Redskins WR had a standout rookie season was Rod Gardner in 2001. Since then, the following wide receivers have caught 30+ passes in their rookie season:

AFC

Buffalo- Lee Evans, Josh Reed, David Nelson

Miami- Davone Bess, Chris Chambers, Ted Ginn, Brian Hartline

New England- Deion Branch, Julian Edelman

Baltimore- Mark Clayton

Cincinnatti- Jordan Shipley, Chris Henry

Cleveland- Andre Davis, Mohammed Massaqoui, Quincy Morgan, Braylon Edwards

Pittsburgh- Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, ARE

Houston- Andre Johnson, Jabar Gaffney

Indianapolis- Austin Collie, Blair White, Anthony Gonzalez

Jacksonville- Mike Thomas, Matt Jones

Tennessee- Kenny Britt

Denver- Eddie Royal, Ashley Lelie, Darius Watts

Kansas City- Dwayne Bowe, Snoop Minnis

Oakland- Louis Murphy

NFC

Dallas- Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown

New York Giants- Hakeem Nicks

Philadelphia- DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Reggie Brown

Chicago- Johnny Knox, David Terrell

Detroit- Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams

Green Bay- Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson

Minnesota- Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice

Atlanta- Laurent Robinson

Carolina- Keary Colbert, Brandon Lafell, David Gettis

New Orleans- Marques Colston, Donte Stallworth

Tampa Bay- Mike Williams, Michael Clayton, Sammy Stroughter

Arizona- Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Bryant Johnson

St. Louis- Donnie Avery, Brandon Gibson

San Francisco- Michael Crabtree

Seattle- Koren Robinson

Titus Young (OAK), Greg Salas (STL), Dane Sanzenbacher (CHI), Doug Baldwin (SEA), Greg Little (CLE), Julio Jones (ATL), AJ Green (CIN), Denarius Moore (OAK), and Torrey Smith (BAL), will likely meet or exceed 30 catches this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used 30 receptions, because the most passes a rookie Redskins wide receiver has caught in a season since 2001...is exactly half that. That was Devin Thomas with 15 catches in 2008.

The Jets and Chargers are the only other teams who are as bad at throwing to rookies as we are.

So for the love of god, let's throw our rookies some passes.

interesting Shanny says " Hank has been making some unbelievable Catches" in practice.MS must know that kid is goin to be somthing special Fans just have to support Hank as long as he is a Skin period

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 05:04 PM ----------

The future better be now. One of my biggest gripes with the Redskins in recent years is that we don't use our rookies enough.

The last time a Redskins WR had a standout rookie season was Rod Gardner in 2001. Since then, the following wide receivers have caught 30+ passes in their rookie season:

AFC

Buffalo- Lee Evans, Josh Reed, David Nelson

Miami- Davone Bess, Chris Chambers, Ted Ginn, Brian Hartline

New England- Deion Branch, Julian Edelman

Baltimore- Mark Clayton

Cincinnatti- Jordan Shipley, Chris Henry

Cleveland- Andre Davis, Mohammed Massaqoui, Quincy Morgan, Braylon Edwards

Pittsburgh- Santonio Holmes, Mike Wallace, ARE

Houston- Andre Johnson, Jabar Gaffney

Indianapolis- Austin Collie, Blair White, Anthony Gonzalez

Jacksonville- Mike Thomas, Matt Jones

Tennessee- Kenny Britt

Denver- Eddie Royal, Ashley Lelie, Darius Watts

Kansas City- Dwayne Bowe, Snoop Minnis

Oakland- Louis Murphy

NFC

Dallas- Dez Bryant, Antonio Brown

New York Giants- Hakeem Nicks

Philadelphia- DeSean Jackson, Jeremy Maclin, Reggie Brown

Chicago- Johnny Knox, David Terrell

Detroit- Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams

Green Bay- Greg Jennings, James Jones, Jordy Nelson

Minnesota- Percy Harvin, Sidney Rice

Atlanta- Laurent Robinson

Carolina- Keary Colbert, Brandon Lafell, David Gettis

New Orleans- Marques Colston, Donte Stallworth

Tampa Bay- Mike Williams, Michael Clayton, Sammy Stroughter

Arizona- Larry Fitzgerald, Anquan Boldin, Bryant Johnson

St. Louis- Donnie Avery, Brandon Gibson

San Francisco- Michael Crabtree

Seattle- Koren Robinson

Titus Young (OAK), Greg Salas (STL), Dane Sanzenbacher (CHI), Doug Baldwin (SEA), Greg Little (CLE), Julio Jones (ATL), AJ Green (CIN), Denarius Moore (OAK), and Torrey Smith (BAL), will likely meet or exceed 30 catches this year.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I used 30 receptions, because the most passes a rookie Redskins wide receiver has caught in a season since 2001...is exactly half that. That was Devin Thomas with 15 catches in 2008.

The Jets and Chargers are the only other teams who are as bad at throwing to rookies as we are.

So for the love of god, let's throw our rookies some passes.

I agree! What's the point of letting in on plays when we are running the ball,then when we do decide to pass it's normally not to any of the Rooks. Stats will show that the rooks played on 15 plays,but not saying that out of the 15 plays 11 of them were runs,and the other 4 they weren't targeted.SMFH

Once the whole nfl thing gels for Hank he is going to be a force for the Skins. He needs pt now because that experience will help him translate the route tree he is trying to learn to the NFL field of play. Many wr's need one year to grasp it.

Here's to hoping that Hank is keeping his nose in the playbook and sleeps with it under his pillow at night.

:cheers:

I don't think lack of opportunities in the passing game is the reason why they aren't ready to play yet. I just think they haven't gotten there yet.
To be clear this isn't what I said either.

My point is straight forward: getting reps helps WRs (or any player for that matter) develop.

Our rookie WRs didn't get a bunch of reps in offseason therefore are less developed as they could be if they got those reps.

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 08:14 PM ----------

Well, much as I like Hank and Paul...they're not A.J Green. That guy is something special. And when you draft a guy in the first round like that, you're going to play him. 2nd, 3rd, 4th round guys, it gets more iffy.
Umm okay?

Never said our receivers were AJ Green.

And of course the higher a player is drafted the greater the expectation for immediate contribution.

I don't understand your response in relation to my post.

My point was our rookie WRs aren't as developed as they could be had they been given more preseason reps.

I didn't think this would be a point of contention.

My point is straight forward: getting reps helps WRs (or any player for that matter) develop.

Our rookie WRs didn't get a bunch of reps in offseason therefore are less developed as they could be if they got those reps.

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 08:14 PM ----------

Umm okay?

Never said our receivers were AJ Green.

And of course the higher a player is drafted the greater the expectation for immediate contribution.

I don't understand your response in relation to my post.

My point was our rookie WRs aren't as developed as they could be had they been given more preseason reps.

It's not really a point of contention. I was just saying. That's a possible reason why they didn't get quite the same opportunity over the vets.

So, how was the Bengals' approach different? You did suggest that in your original post.

Because of the strange offseason, you probably saw more from those who were intending to start because a lot of the work that would have been done during the offseason. That being said, who plays tends to be the ones who do well in practice. Also, being more developed doesn't mean much if they are still not really ready to go on the field. Some things just take their own time. Some players are ready for the NFL, and some need some work. Nothing wrong with that.

I'm buying ....Hankerson and Paul need a shot and I think they will surprise once given a chance to make things happen. Moss and Cooley god bless them have been a huge part of our 16ppg ish unit since forever. They weren't getting it done helping us score td's and making things happen for a few years now. Its exciting to me to see new guys rise and meet the challenges.

So, how was the Bengals' approach different? You did suggest that in your original post.
The Bengals approach was different because their focus was on developing their young receivers.

Because of the strange offseason, you probably saw more from those who were intending to start because a lot of the work that would have been done during the offseason. That being said, who plays tends to be the ones who do well in practice. Also, being more developed doesn't mean much if they are still not really ready to go on the field. Some things just take their own time. Some players are ready for the NFL, and some need some work. Nothing wrong with that.

In many ways NFL opportunity is a zero sum game.

If Gaffney is getting 1st team reps in the games that means he's getting 1st team reps in practice.

Therefore someone else (Austin, Paul, Hankerson) cannot get those 1st team reps in practice.

And the bulk of NFL practices are focused on the 1st team.

Sure other players are getting reps with the scout team but those reps aren't in their offense.

Regardless of how good they look they're not going to play.

See Fred Davis pre-Cooley injury.

People raved about him in practice but he never got on the field til Cooley got hurt.

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

You think Paul and Hankerson aren't ready.

I think they could have been more ready if that was our off season focus.

Archived