Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

dallasnews.com: Instant Analysis: Another second half where Dez Bryant was not a factor

tr1

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2011/10/instant-analysis-another-secon.html

Everyone watching had a bad feeling when Tom Brady was given a little over two minutes to get the Patriots in field goal range. But Brady was so good that he didn't settle for three points.

Here are my five thoughts on the Cowboys' 20-16 loss to New England.

1. Another second half disappearing act by Dez Bryant. The Cowboys most dynamic playmaker entered Sunday's game with only two grabs for 50 yards in the second half this season. He didn't have a catch in the third or fourth quarter against the Patriots. Is he still hurt? Do the coaches not trust his route running? I'd love to hear the explanation.

2. Rob Ryan's defense was very good. Don't blame the outspoken defensive coordinator for this loss. Other than the final drive :ols:, he kept arguably the greatest quarterback in NFL history to a below average day. As FOX analyst Troy Aikman said, Ryan's defense was "outstanding." Aikman added: "He put together a heck of a game plan."

3. It was just an average day for Tony Romo sits to pee. He wasn't great but he also wasn't the sole reason for the loss. Romo sits to pee did enough for the Cowboys to be in contention but he never made the big play. Perhaps it was the play calling, or maybe it was Romo sits to pee electing to take the safest option. His only major mistake was his lone interception. Outside of that, Romo sits to pee matched Brady for nearly four quarters. And the final throw would have obviously made more sense to be tossed inbounds, where one of his receivers could've made a play.

4. The offense needs to convert more than six points off of four turnovers. The Patriots don't make many mistakes, so when they do, you have to capitalize. The Cowboys did not. Not cashing in for more points off turnovers allowed Brady a chance to be within striking distance late, a scenario that Jerry Jones talked about after the game. "You know against a quality team like they are and against a quality player like Brady, he's going to get loose at some time," Jones said. "You really can't let that deter you, but if you don't have a chance and it happens to you right at the end of the ballgame and (you) don't have a chance to get it back like it did here then that's real discouraging. You're going to always second guess whether or not we should have tried a little offense down there rather than run it three times and kick it. We'll all guess that."

5. This is where I thought the Cowboys would be after five games, 2-3. There's no reason to think this team isn't headed in the right direction but there also isn't any reason to expect that they will be reaching postseason play. "I think they can build on this even though it's a loss," former Cowboys coach Jimmy Johnson said on FOX after the game. :ols: "This team is continuing to grow and get better," Romo sits to pee told the Associated Press. "We just need to finish a game like today and we will I think."

---------- Post added October-16th-2011 at 11:11 PM ----------

But, but, but...Dez has sooooo much TALENT!

:rotflmao:

Oh, and nice to see this guy quote Jimmy Johnson. :rolleyes:

The fact is the pukes play calling got conservative because they no longer trust Romo sits to pee...

I hope he stays their qb for another ten years.

Yeah, definitely a trend that needs to change. Not sure if it's play calling, or if Romo sits to pee doesn't fully trust him in every situation or what, but he just hasn't gotten the same targets in the 2nd half as he has the 1st.

On the other hand I think some peoples expectations for Dez are just way to high right now. He's a bigtime talent, but not a bigtime reciever, yet anyways. Give the kid some time to develop, he's played 16 football games in the last 2 and a half years. (Suspension and Injuries)

This is a team that was 13-3 what 2-3 years ago? So how is THIS going in the right direction? What the hell.....

Rob Ryan is overrated as a D-coordinator. If his last name was Wilson or Matthews, he'd be coaching Dallas High School.

did you watch the game? Dallas' D played very well. It just seems like an odd time to call out Rob Ryan.....

As far as Dez goes, they need to get him the ball in the 2nd half. There is no excuse for him not getting more touches.

Archived