Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

can someone explain to me what the ref is doing?

hamptonskinsfan

I know that dallass game is done and over with but I finally found a video that shows what i was saying during the game. In the clip, fast forward to the 5:35 mark and can someone explain to me why the ref is all touchy feely with our defense a millisecond before the ball is snapped on the final field goal. I have never seen this before and was wondering if I have missed something in the 30 some years I have been watching football?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETsmj-dWkho&feature=related

With all the cryin by the cowgirls this week :shutup:, i submit this evidence to counter all their complaining. Thanks and as always HTTR :dallasuck

I know that dallass game is done and over with but I finally found a video that shows what i was saying during the game. In the clip, fast forward to the 5:35 mark and can someone explain to me why the ref is all touchy feely with our defense a millisecond before the ball is snapped on the final field goal. I have never seen this before and was wondering if I have missed something in the 30 some years I have been watching football?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETsmj-dWkho&feature=related

With all the cryin by the cowgirls this week :shutup:, i submit this evidence to counter all their complaining. Thanks and as always HTTR :dallasuck

a new rule was implemented in 2010 for field goals and punts, opposing defensive players cannot line up directly over the center. They must have their entire body outside the snapper’s shoulder pads.

ok but that means either the ref was "being nice" and warning us as the ball was snapped or he was in the middle of the play. Now while I wont say its not out of the question about the first option.... I will say why dont they get up there and tell the defensive guys who are offsides to back up??? and if that be the case then why is his hand on two players after the ball was snapped. I guess he was just being a "Nice guy". Most refs just flag you for illegal procedure.

ok but that means either the ref was "being nice" and warning us as the ball was snapped or he was in the middle of the play. Now while I wont say its not out of the question about the first option.... I will say why dont they get up there and tell the defensive guys who are offsides to back up??? and if that be the case then why is his hand on two players after the ball was snapped. I guess he was just being a "Nice guy". Most refs just flag you for illegal procedure.

good question. the rule change was made for safety reasons, so maybe that is why they provided a warning on it. lining up in the neutral zone, although illegal, isn't illegal because of fear of player injury.

or maybe the ref preferred to get them lined up legally rather then throw a flag on the critical end of game play. imagine the controversy if it was missed, and he throws a flag for illegal formation.

When I played DE, I often had refs tell me to back up for being offsides. I always thanked politely after the sack and made sure to be a gentleman about it. The ref is just trying to be fair. Why throw a flag on a league changing field goal attempt over a few inches. Also, the only way for him to clearly assess the "shoulder width" rule is to get his shoulders in there. If he contacts a player, it's because the player is too close.

Archived