Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What may be the REAL takeaway from the Steelers game

bigyim

I'm excited again about the Redskins. Our players looked sharper. There wasn't as much goofing off on the sideline a la Antwaan Randel El/Portis. I think our guys have shed the negativity and drama, and have a work ethic again. I wasn't on the sideline, but it appears that Shanny has gotten rid of the "millionaire football player" mindset and infused new blood into the burgundy and gold.

Our WR corps looks to be vastly improved. Same thing at RB. Hightower looks like a stormtrooper with that special facemask. Beast. Throw Helu and Torain in there and we're solid.TE is set. The OL looked great in comparison to last season. How about Rexy?

This aren't signs of us being in the Superbowl. But I think we could see a 9-7 record this year, especially if the Iggles collapse, (Vic hurt etc), and at 9-7 it's possible we could even sneak in the playoffs...ya never know!

Needless to say, it's a refreshing change to see youth and enthusiasm running around with 'Skins helmets on. Hail.

It's also the reason why Grossman still has not been handed the starting job over Beck...Beck is a much more fluid athlete in running the rollout pass than Grossman, and that is what is keeping him in the QB competition.

I think this is absolutely correct. Grossman does fine rolling to his right but when they run the rollout to the left he is really slow getting his body in throwing position. You could really tell the difference when Clemens got in the game. Not saying that Clemens was better, just that he was much more fluid on the reverse rollouts. And that rollout is a big part of the offense.

Speaking of offenses, I think what has me the most excited is that we have a real offensive system for the first time in I don't know how long. We had one with Al Saunders as well but we had a head coach who wasn't fully committed to it and I think that hampered it. We had it last year but we had a QB that wasn't committed to it. It's what had me so excited the last three games last year because even though Grossman's play was inconsistent you could see that the opportunities were there. People gave Kyle a hard time last year but I think with the right personnel his offense is going to be very good.

The Steelers' HC said afterward that the Redskins outplayed them at every level, offense, defense and special teams. He wasn't happy with his team's performance.

I think we had a good showing. There was an enthusiasm that has been missing for many years. I see more depth at every position, whether it is great quality depth or not, we do have something other than mediocre. And it was great NOT seeing the center step on the QB every play.

Archived