Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP.com:Rookie watch: Preseason Game 1

SWFLSkins

Reviewing the game (I recorded it from a Pittsburgh channel), I tried to pay close attention to our second-string offensive line. Though he looks pretty fat, I was impressed with Maurice Hurt. He was always putting his hat on someone, and he didn't let up at all. Many of the better runs went behind him and Locklear, who had a solid game as well. Willie Smith looked ok. I'm sad to say that Selvish Capers looked a bit lost, trying to find someone to block rather than making contact. Cook was active, but not as aggressive as Hurt. Toward he end of the game, Hurt was playing a bit of left tackle. That suprised me. He managed it ok, but I wouldn't want him to be in that position in a regular season game.

Interesting notes, thanks. This is definately going to be an interesting preseason and cut down to 53. Gauging by who they signed and who they cut already it seems that they are not afraid to make bold moves in order to reshape the team. Injuries may also play a factor with Torain and Kelly out.

---------- Post added August-14th-2011 at 12:55 PM ----------

http://www.redskins.com/news-and-events/article-1/For-Rookies-A-Mixed-Bag-In-Preseason-Debut/c5de4820-9280-4647-9d2b-e90e096fbf55

Said head coach Mike Shanahan on Kerrigan: "By no means was it perfect, but I was pleased with the effort, not just with Ryan but with a lot of our young players.

"I think Ryan is going to keep getting better. Just like a lot of young players, they quit looking at the ball, they get caught up in the game, they don't do the basics like they should. But that is typical for young players coming in."

OH MY GAWD. What in the hell are we gonna do with all these running backs. Geeesh. What a problem Why do they want all these good running backs on the team taking up space. I mean, there is only ONE football so what in the world are we gonna do with Ryan Torrain. LOL

The reality is that running backs have a short shelf life, and Shanahan is looking for a specific kind of running back in his system. Big powerful runners can't make it in a one cut system. Hightower is great in this system because he seems to be moving at all times, mostly forward. Helu will be the best because even though he might carry 4 times for 1 or 2 yards each time, on that 5th carry he will make a cut and be off to the enzone for 65 yards. He is more like Clinton Portis when Shanny had him in Denver. Royster is something of an enignma. He is not particulary fast, not extremely quick, but he runs like a ghost. Its like his feet dont touch the ground his just kind of glides in and around people and suddenly he has picked up 6 yards. I don't get it and don't care. I watched a lot of his college film and he is amazing because he seems to feel the hole before it even opens up. The hole opens and suddenly Royster is in it. Maybe he time warps or something. Some kind of inter dimentional time travel but he just gets yardage. Thats all I know. And then There is Ryan Torrain who is the epitome of the workmans lunch bucket crowd. He just is a slasher who gets you 4-5 yards per carry on sheer determination and effort. I like him unfortunately he is made of glass. If the Skins want, they can put one of the guys on the PUP list this year because there is not enough room for all four running backs but they all can contribute and at least one of them will get injured because the Redskins are fixing to run the ball and then after that, they are gonna run it some more. Thats the way I see it.

Archived