Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP.com:Rookie watch: Preseason Game 1

SWFLSkins

Found this in BBN and thought it was a good series to keep track of the rookies and add some comments. I thought Jarvis Jenkins was real solid in his first outing, and Kerrigan played really well for limited practice time. Hank will come around, IMO. And I liked what Paul showed. I think these two and Banks play spell the end of the myth that is Comb.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/football-insider/post/rookie-watch-preseason-game-1/2011/08/13/gIQA6fYjDJ_blog.html#pagebreak

On Friday, before the Redskins’ preseason opener, we looked at how the team’s 12 draft picks could help themselves in their professional debuts.

Now let’s see how they fared.

Ryan Kerrigan – Overall, the team’s first-round pick had a solid outing as the starting left outside linebacker. The Purdue product said that he didn’t feel even the slightest twinge in the right knee that he injured early in camp, and that he was encouraged, but still noticed some areas where he could have done better.

DE Jarvis Jenkins – The Clemson product saw significant action as he rotated between left defensive end and right end. He also was used in the fast nickel package, which features just two down linemen. At times Jenkins lined up with Barry Cofield and Stephen Bowen, and other times it was Cofield and Adam Carriker. Regardless of where coaches put him, Jenkins caused disruptions and showed why Washington drafted him 41st overall.

Gomes did well also.

I thought so myself, in fact much better than I expected and how the write up went.....

S DeJon Gomes – The Nebraska product remains a work in progress, but made two nice plays – sacking Denis Dixon for a 15-yard loss, and dropping running back Jonathan Dwyer for a three-yard loss.

...it was Royster who actually made the most noise Friday night, with a team-high 66 yards on 15 carries (4.4 yards per carry). Royster didn’t really care about his rushing stats after the game. Instead he talked about his pass blocking, and how he wanted to continue to get better in that area. He was aware that he made a few nice blitz pickups, but then pointed out how he lunged at a linebacker and missed on another play. This kid gets it. It’ll be interesting to watch his progression as he battles for a spot on the 53-man roster rather than the practice squad...

This is what I like to hear... the kids understanding what their problem areas are and that they need to focus on those areas, in addition to understanding that it is more than just being a skill player but also performing other roles to help the team.

...it was Royster who actually made the most noise Friday night, with a team-high 66 yards on 15 carries (4.4 yards per carry). Royster didn’t really care about his rushing stats after the game. Instead he talked about his pass blocking, and how he wanted to continue to get better in that area. He was aware that he made a few nice blitz pickups, but then pointed out how he lunged at a linebacker and missed on another play. This kid gets it. It’ll be interesting to watch his progression as he battles for a spot on the 53-man roster rather than the practice squad...

This is what I like to hear... the kids understanding what their problem areas are and that they need to focus on those areas, in addition to understanding that it is more than just being a skill player but also performing other roles to help the team.

Definitely agree, though I worry what will happen to him with Hightower, Torrain, and Helu. I am curious as to why Royster was started over Helu, and I wonder if Helu will see more time in the next game. I think they want to get Hightower comfortable in the system, and know they want to keep Helu, but have a question about Royster which is why he got extended playing time.

I did not really see anything special from Royster. I understand he put up some good stats, but I feel Torain, Hightower, and Helu all provide more value.

Royster is the least sexy of the group but I think he has a great deal of value. While he doesn't have the speed of Helu or the power of Hightower/Torain he seems to be a good all around back. Since he doesn't bring a unique skillset to the table I wouldn't be surprised if he starts out on the PS but he could be very valuable filling in for a starter. He isn't a guy that you would have to alter the playbook for if he is forced into action like you would for Helu.

Lax

I agree with all of your points. I definitely see him a potential practice squad guy as well. In last night's game he did display a good overall feel for the game. I really like the top 3 guys for this upcoming year and he will be the odd man out in my opinion. Side note- His situation and skill set kind of reminds me of Marcus Mason.

Look at the Post Insider getting all worth reading again. It's nice to read some decent analysis instead of snarky opinionated pap. I didn't think Gomes stood a chance of making this team when we drafted him, but I keep reading about how well he's been doing in camp. He did pretty good from what I saw last night. Same thing with Royster. I just didn't see how he fit in, numbers wise. We definitely have a crowded backfield at this point. Both of those guys surprised me. I'm going to try and pay attention to see how they do on special teams next week. I do think we'll see a lot more of Helu vs the Colts.

I love preseason and watching how the final roster develops.

Lax

I agree with all of your points. I definitely see him a potential practice squad guy as well. In last night's game he did display a good overall feel for the game. I really like the top 3 guys for this upcoming year and he will be the odd man out in my opinion. Side note- His situation and skill set kind of reminds me of Marcus Mason.

You know I am not so sure about RB. One injuries can change everything. Two, Shanny knows what he wants in a back. I would not be shocked if he kept somebody we thought was surely gone, cut or PS'd.

You know I am not so sure about RB. One injuries can change everything. Two, Shanny knows what he wants in a back. I would not be shocked if he kept somebody we thought was surely gone, cut or PS'd.

True... especially considering his RB by committee approach

Should draft position determine who get put on the team?

We are VERY early into camp so this type of talk is premature, but, I get the feeling from some that even if all the games turn out like this one. Hankerson still MUST make the team, and that Helu MUST make the team over Royster.

Is that the case? If Royster edges out Helu, do we keep him anyway, and try to stash Royster on the PS? If Hankerson continues to struggle, do we keep him anyway and cut one of the guys that has been productive because it is more likely that another team will snatch up Hanerson over another player? I say keep the better players no matter what, even if it means that the other guy gets picked up by another team.

I'd say that Royster may have the least amount of upside, but his pass pro may be the key to him sticking. It'll be interesting to see if they keep the guy that can come out of the backfield better on passing downs, or the guy that's better staying in the backfield (blocking) on those same downs. The coaches confidence level of the o-line may end up as the deciding factor in the rb decision.

I personally don't know who'd I rather keep, but its still early.

Shanny moved up in the draft to aquire Helu in the draft. Now, does that mean Helu is guaranteed a roster spot? No. But, I think that shows what Shanny thought of Helu coming out. The Skins trading for Hightower really hurt the chances of Royster making the final 53 in my opinion. These are the things that make pre season fun to watch, so we will see.

Not many 3rd rounders get cut or sent to the practice squad. Hankerson will be given a shot this year regardless. Lets all hope he pulls through and has a strong preseason.

I really wasn't sure how I felt about Roysters running early on. There were a few times he was tenative hitting the hole. Then he seemed to get into a groove and he looked like he was just gliding on his runs. He reminded me of Earnest Byner in that he is one of those lunch pail running backs. The type the Skins fans used to latch on to in the past. You won't see flash from him, but you will see yards and the chain moving down the field. I liked the kid because he always seemed under control during his runs. I think he is going to be a good one and if we do try to put him on the practice squad, someone will pick him up when we cut him. I don't think he makes it to the practice squad. I hope we find a way to keep him even if we can just get him to produce on special teams for the time being.

Definitely agree, though I worry what will happen to him with Hightower, Torrain, and Helu. I am curious as to why Royster was started over Helu, and I wonder if Helu will see more time in the next game. I think they want to get Hightower comfortable in the system, and know they want to keep Helu, but have a question about Royster which is why he got extended playing time.

Im sure Helu will get more time with the twos and probably the ones as well as preseason goes on. However my theory on why Helu was the 3rd back is he is poor at blitz pick ups and Royster is better in that regard. If you cant pick up a linebacker or safety on a blitz you will not get many snaps at RB in the NFL.

If Helu can work on that he clearly has more speed and ability than Royster and can be very very productive in this running game.

I like the Royster EB comparison. Earnest Byner, Terry Allen type backs are really valuable. Heck, in the end, that was what Portis turned out to be. Portis was not a pile mover and he certainly wasn't the homerun threat he was billed to be. Over his entire career how many 20 plus yard td runs did he have?

The only two rookies who attracted my notice negatively was Hankerson and even he did things right. He got open. He just has to get over the yips and catch the ball. 70 catches in his senior year means he can catch. He needs more reps and he needs to get comfortable. The other guy in Robinson who muffed the two punts. No excuse for that. I realize he had nerves going out for his first NFL game, but you have to at least catch the punt cleanly.

Everyone else either stood out or at the least didn't get themselves noticed for making a bad play.

Im sure Helu will get more time with the twos and probably the ones as well as preseason goes on. However my theory on why Helu was the 3rd back is he is poor at blitz pick ups and Royster is better in that regard. If you cant pick up a linebacker or safety on a blitz you will not get many snaps at RB in the NFL.

If Helu can work on that he clearly has more speed and ability than Royster and can be very very productive in this running game.

Excellent observation, thank you.

How much this effects Royster and Helu's status is unclear, but if those two continue to produce in the preseason along with Hightower, this might be your odd man out....

WP Insider - Ryan Torain still unsure when he’ll return to practice

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...WwDJ_blog.html

By Shemar Woods

Washington Redskins running back Ryan Torain doesn’t expect to be on the field when his teammates return to practice Sunday, and still doesn’t know how much longer his broken left hand will keep him sidelined.

“I’m not really sure,” Torain said Friday night after watching the Redskins’ 16-7 preseason victory over Pittsburgh. “But I’m taking it day by day.”

Torain, who was originally scheduled to miss seven to 10 days after having four screws placed in the top of his left hand, was still wearing a bandage on the hand in the locker room after the game.

Torain’s status for next Friday’s game against Indianapolis is also unclear.

click on the link to continue reading

Reviewing the game (I recorded it from a Pittsburgh channel), I tried to pay close attention to our second-string offensive line. Though he looks pretty fat, I was impressed with Maurice Hurt. He was always putting his hat on someone, and he didn't let up at all. Many of the better runs went behind him and Locklear, who had a solid game as well. Willie Smith looked ok. I'm sad to say that Selvish Capers looked a bit lost, trying to find someone to block rather than making contact. Cook was active, but not as aggressive as Hurt. Toward he end of the game, Hurt was playing a bit of left tackle. That suprised me. He managed it ok, but I wouldn't want him to be in that position in a regular season game.

Archived