Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Now Here's a Real Math Question

Chiefinonhaze

I started that 48/2(9+3) thread, and nobody knew the real answer. Obviously, the form of the problem was ambiguous.

This one I simply cant figure out. It's part of my HW, and the answer I got was 340xy+240xz+240yz

I only get three attempts on this online HW, and I've already used 2 :(

*****************************************************************************************************

A storage building is planned which will have a rectangular base and a flat roof. The foundation (including floor) will cost $12 per square foot. The sides will cost $10 per square foot. The roof will cost $14 per square foot.

a) Write an equation to express the construction cost of this building as a function of length x, width y, and height z.

C(x,y,z)= ???????

CoF - Cost of floor: 12 * x * y

CoWx - Cost of walls (x): 2 * 10 * x * z (2 walls, each 10xz)

CoWy - Cost of walls (y): 2 * 10 * y * z (2 walls, each 10yz)

CoC - Cost of ceilign: 14 * x * y (ceiling is parallel to floor)

Cost = CoF + CoWx + CoWy + CoC

C(x,y,z) = 12xy + 14xy + 20xz + 20yz = 26xy + 20xz + 20yz

I was CS and Math back in school, so I hope I got it...

Important note (EDIT):

Price is in feet squared... so your units need to be feet squared...

so you cant multiply square feet dollars by cubic feet units.. so each one needs to be a pair of variables!!

CoF - Cost of floor: 12 * x * y

CoWx - Cost of walls (x): 2 * 10 * x * z (2 walls, each 10xz)

CoWy - Cost of walls (y): 2 * 10 * y * z (2 walls, each 10yz)

CoC - Cost of ceilign: 14 * x * y (ceiling is parallel to floor)

Cost = CoF + CoWx + CoWy + CoC

C(x,y,z) = 12xy + 14xy + 20xz + 20yz = 26xy + 20xz + 20yz

I was CS and Math back in school, so I hope I got it...

Why wouldn't the cost of the floor be 12x*12y?

How confident are you in this answer? I'm putting this for my Homework in Calc 3 if your 100% confident. I know the problem should be easy, but I keep messing up.

Thats it... its the same answer i had, mine is simplified... thats it..

Break the problem down into its parts... solve each part.. and combine them...

How confident are you in this answer? I'm putting this for my Homework in Calc 3 if your 100% confident. I know the problem should be easy, but I keep messing up.

I'm fairly confident that it's right.

---------- Post added April-26th-2011 at 09:24 PM ----------

Thats it... its the same answer i had, mine is simplified... thats it..

Break the problem down into its parts... solve each part.. and combine them...

Yep!!! BTW, another CS student here. CS FTW!!!

Because the room is in rectangular fashion, the walls will cost different amounts. I stand by my answer of C(x,y,z) = 12xy+20xz+20yz+14xy

I'm not ready to type in into the response box yet. It's due thursday, and I want a definitive response before I type in my last chance.

It really doesn't matter if I get this question right, and I could care less. I just want to see if anyone on Extremeskins can answer an upper level college math question correctly Because apparently I can't.

I'm not ready to type in into the response box yet. It's due thursday, and I want a definitive response before I type in my last chance.

It really doesn't matter if I get this question right, and I could care less. I just want to see if anyone on Extremeskins can answer an upper level college math question correctly Because apparently I can't.

Yeah, I hear ya. Should be interesting to see some of the answers that ES gets. This is a bit more complex than the PEMDAS problem from last time.

I'm putting this for my Homework in Calc 3

This seems more like a College Algebra problem. I'm pretty sure that Weganator has the correct answer. the problem describes a box (flat sides, flat top, flat bottom), so the solution is to simply find the area of the 6 rectangles using the associated cost and x,y,z, then describe the total surface area as a function of those 3 variables. Easy peazy.

This seems more like a College Algebra problem. I'm pretty sure that Weganator has the correct answer. the problem describes a box (flat sides, flat top, flat bottom), so the solution is to simply find the area of the 6 rectangles using the associated cost and x,y,z, then describe the total surface area as a function of those 3 variables. Easy peazy.

Calc 3 is all about multivariable functions. They're touched on in lower classes though.

Calc 3 is all about multivariable functions. They're touched on in lower classes though.

True. What till he gets to integration and differentiation of spherical coordinates. This forum is gonna be flooded with math problems. :ols:

Archived