Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Closer Look at 2011 QB Prospect: Ricky Stanzi

darrelgreenie

The 2011 Redskins might be in the market to acquire a QB in the upcoming draft and there are several good prospects.

The aim of this series of threads is to conduct a layman's evaluation and discussion of the QBs by look past the stats and the often parroted rhetoric available through media and draft sites.

The goal is to look in depth and discuss the top prospects in action.

The springboard for the discussion will be the commonly available game cut-ups (not highlights) on youtube and may extend to torrents (if there's interest).

All are welcome with the expectation that specific plays will be discussed whenever possible.

5284491422_d1094fbff3_t.jpg

Every Snap Iowa 2010 vs. Michigan Defense

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvkswwrHbJU&feature=related

This is a very truncated version that will be updated time permitting.

Thoughts/Additions/Game Commentary are welcome.

Keeping my fingers crossed we trade back and get a third rounder and get this guy. He fits the west coast, and for that our west coast, offense so well. Timing is great on slants, takes the checkdowns if given, smart with the football, good play action and bootleg. This guy reminds me of a more mobile Tom Brady. Not a great arm but very good accuracy and leads receivers well.

Forget all these first round headcases, Stanzi is my pick.

Stanzi looks like a good WC QB in this game. He threw several potential interceptions, but seemed to progress through his checkdowns very well. I would be happy to see him groomed as a potential starter for us one day. Excellent pocket awareness. However, I fell in love with his runningback Robinson. Big strong guy with good one-cut ability. Ahmad Bradshaw meets Clinton Portis. Is he eligible for this years draft??

(edit) I just read up on the RB Robinson. He makes Mallett look like a choir boy. So sad to see such promise thrown away while others would kill to be given a similiar opportunity

Keeping my fingers crossed we trade back and get a third rounder and get this guy. He fits the west coast, and for that our west coast, offense so well. Timing is great on slants, takes the checkdowns if given, smart with the football, good play action and bootleg. This guy reminds me of a more mobile Tom Brady. Not a great arm but very good accuracy and leads receivers well.

Forget all these first round headcases, Stanzi is my pick.

Stanzi has no zip on his throws. Case in point, after watching the clip his throws are slow getting to the WRs and he's fortunate that he wasn't intercepted more. His timing with the throw is slightly behind his target.

No thanks on Stanzi, JMHO of course.

Stanzi has no zip on his throws. Case in point, after watching the clip his throws are slow getting to the WRs and he's fortunate that he wasn't intercepted more. His timing with the throw is slightly behind his target.

No thanks on Stanzi, JMHO of course.

Some throws yes I will agree he was late on, but at the same time some good QB's in the NFL now didn't have the best "zip" on their throws. I can see the comparisons to Schaub like Greg Cosell and our own DG have said about him, and in the 3rd its a value pick, although part of me wonders if he'll even make it to the 3rd or if a team in the late 2nd takes him to groom

Some throws yes I will agree he was late on, but at the same time some good QB's in the NFL now didn't have the best "zip" on their throws. I can see the comparisons to Schaub like Greg Cosell and our own DG have said about him, and in the 3rd its a value pick, although part of me wonders if he'll even make it to the 3rd or if a team in the late 2nd takes him to groom

Don't want to rain on your parade, but his RB lets you forget some of Stanzi's obvious flaws. CBs would have a field day with him. DC would send the house and force him to throw under pressure, thus, INTs.

Don't want to rain on your parade, but his RB lets you forget some of Stanzi's obvious flaws. CBs would have a field day with him. DC would send the house and force him to throw under pressure, thus, INTs.

I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just pointing out that some of the very good QB's didn't have "zip" and weren't cannon armed QB's coming out. We've seen cannon armed guys fail. Yes Robinson took pressure off of him, but also Stanzi made some very impressive throws including the back pilon fade to Koulianis. Along with a good slant to Koulianis as well.

Also just wanted to say McNutt is a definite late round guy to watch, could make the team and could end up as a possession type receiver with his size

I'm not disagreeing with you I'm just pointing out that some of the very good QB's didn't have "zip" and weren't cannon armed QB's coming out. We've seen cannon armed guys fail. Yes Robinson took pressure off of him, but also Stanzi made some very impressive throws including the back pilon fade to Koulianis. Along with a good slant to Koulianis as well.

Also just wanted to say McNutt is a definite late round guy to watch, could make the team and could end up as a possession type receiver with his size

I appreciate your points, but as others have said this may not be the year for us to draft a QB. I say finish the rebuilding of the OL. I know its not a glamorous thing to do and not associated with the past years of making a splash in the off-season but its like the right thing to do.

I appreciate your points, but as others have said this may not be the year for us to draft a QB. I say finish the rebuilding of the OL. I know its not a glamorous thing to do and not associated with the past years of making a splash in the off-season but its like the right thing to do.

You also have to take into account the draft history of Shanny when it comes to OL. He doesn't take Interior OL early he traditionally finds them in the mid to late rounds. Are we taking a RT at #10? Even with the reports of Ryan Harris as the likely RT if Brown is gone? I doubt we take one.

Better off going a QB like Gabbert, if not there then, you're looking at OLB/DE/NT

Stanzi doesn't overwhelm with any particular physical ability or skill set, he is just a solid QB...

- I can see the Schaub comparisons, same size, same arm talent, but Stanzi is a better athlete...

- Very experienced QB, played his entire career in a Pro offense, improved decision maker, has the clutch gene...

- looking at that cut-up you provided DG it looked like he was running the Redskins offense lol...

Stanzi doesn't overwhelm with any particular physical ability or skill set, he is just a solid QB...

- I can see the Schaub comparisons, same size, same arm talent, but Stanzi is a better athlete...

- Very experienced QB, played his entire career in a Pro offense, improved decision maker, has the clutch gene...

- looking at that cut-up you provided DG it looked like he was running the Redskins offense lol...

Can you expand on that JT, because IIRC his accuracy and all drops into the 4th quarter. I've come around to Stanzi as well just curious as to what you define as the "clutch gene"

Can you expand on that JT, because IIRC his accuracy and all drops into the 4th quarter. I've come around to Stanzi as well just curious as to what you define as the "clutch gene"

Well that may be the case this yr but I know in 09 he was much better in the 4th qrtr and led 7 comebacks with 4 of them road games in the Big Ten...

To me the clutch gene is being able to make THE play or SERIES of plays when it matters most in order to win the game...IMO Stanzi has that

Dalton has been the one drawing all the Schaub comparisons, but it is actually Stanzi that reminds me the most of him.

Stanzi will probably end up being a better value than Ponder, Kaepernick, or Dalton. Not sure if he will end up being a better QB.

Undraftable after his Jr. year. Had a great senior year on a relatively talented team.

Archived