Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stories of my ancestors. Share your's here.

polywog999

Yay! I get to do it again!

This is a picture of my grandfather. The second guy from the left.

macarthur.gif

I think the guy in the middle is famous too. :silly:

He was a career Army officer, and an aide to MacArthur in WWII. He was a colonel when he abruptly died of a heart attack during the Korean War.

Also, my great great many times great grandfather was this guy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Carleton,_1st_Baron_Dorchester

guycarleton00.jpg

He was the British governor of Canada during the Revolutionary War, and defeated Benedict Arnold at the Battle of Quebec, ensuring that Canada would not join the revolution. He was also responsible for the Quebec Act, which was the most important event that kept the French from splitting off from the rest of Canada. Finally, he was put in charge of the British Army in America after the Battle of Yorktown, with the job of getting all of the loyalists (Tories) out of the USA and back to England or Canada. In that role, he had a lot of disputes with George Washington and others who wanted fugitive slaves returned to their owners, which he refused to do.

Sir Guy pointed out that nothing could be changed in any Articles that were inconsistent with prior policies or National Honor. He added that the only mode was to pay for the Negroes in which case justice was done to all, the slaves and the owners. Carleton stated that it would be a breach of faith not to honor the British policy of liberty to the Negro and declared that if removing them proved to be an infraction of the treaty then compensation would have to be paid by the British government. To provide for such a contingency, he had a register kept of all Negroes who left, called the Book of Negroes, entering their name, age, occupation, and name of their former Master. The Americans agreed to this, but as far as can be determined no compensation was ever paid. Some of the evacuated slaves were later transported to Freetown, Sierra Leone, from Nova Scotia where they had been taken from New York. Washington was not pleased with Sir Guy’s behavior...

He has been described as

High-principled and able, Carleton was perhaps the most admirable British colonial commander in America in his time.

http://www.answers.com/topic/guy-carleton-1st-baron-dorchester

Archived