Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

You think the SKINS are 'thin' on the DLINE?

Eagles_Legendz

Originally posted by DukeSkins

Do you guys ever miss Hugh at all?

What kind of a question is that? That's like me asking if you guys missed Gardner and/ or BDW when noble blew out his knee. It's all hindsight when it comes to key injuries.

Frankly no, I don't miss him. I did, however, miss him at the end of the 2002 season when he vanished on the field. Or on a crucial 3rd down play against the Bucs when he was sucking wind on the sidelines. I did miss him then.

This is just really bad luck for the DE position. There's no way to imagine losing two rookies and a vet all at the same position before the first game of the season. And even if you did have that thought, what are you going to do, carry 12 players at that one spot on the off chance that you lose a few to injuries?

I think the team will be fine overall, but there's no depth at DE at the moment. Good teams overcome injuries and still succeed... weak teams make excuses. Last year the team succeeded... we'll see what they do this year.

One of the things I've had to respect and concede about Reid's Eagles is, they have become a team that year in and year out are more than the sum of their parts when they take the field.

The obvious examples are like not missing a friggin' beat when having to go a key stretch with their 3rd QB last year, and not skipping a beat. As a fan, you dream about a team like that.

The nice thing about the NFL is, unlike college ball, you don't lose your shot at a championship by losing a couple early and falling out of the polls. You get 16 weeks to qualify for the playoffs. Maybe you only squeak in as the last wildcard. No matter ... if you do qualify, and you're fortunate enough to be comparatively healthy at THAT point, you've got a shot. AND, if you're a team that tends to max out on it's talent and believes in itself, regardless of who is actually playing ... you're a team nobody wants to have to face.

It's a golden age for Philly right now, albeit one still waiting for that one league championship to nail it down and define it for the ages. Heading into this year, even with the injuries, they're a team that any objective view of the NFL has to consider a legit contender. I'd take that in a hearbeat.

Archived