Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I would make 2 waiver claims

stevea

There are 2 guys who I think are worth trying to get:

1. OT Ben Johnson

He was rated a mid-round pick by many in this year's draft, and slid all the way down to Detroit at the top of the 7th. He was buried on a pretty deep OT depth chart in Detroit. Millen just cut him and would like to re-sign him onto their Practice Squad.

IMO he's a much better prospect to develop into a backup OT (both sides) than anyone on our roster. I would readily cut either Wilbert "turnstile" Brown or Brandon Winey to make room for him (Helton seems to have a strange fixation on keeping Brown).

2. S Lamont Thompson

He was a highly regarded rookie in last year's draft, drafted by Cincinatti in the upper 2nd round (#41).

They ate his signing bonus. His remaining salaries are:

2003 ... 300,000

2004 ... 380,000

2005 ... 455,000

It wouldn't surprise me if he proved himself to be one of our top 3 Safeties. But I wouldn't cut Terrell to make room for him; I'd cut Todd Franz.

Now if only Vinnie would get his head out of his arse and follow this advice :)

HTTR!

Stevea,

IMHO you are definitely right about safety Lamont Thompson. Sign him and cut journeyman Todd Franz.

Actually there are a lot of good football players who get cut because of the numbers game and are available for the first several weeks. Who would I like to see the Skins sign from among cut players?

1 - Safety, Lamont Thompson

2 - Punter, Stephen Cheek - get him while he is still available,

I predict Barker will shank a punt and be cut, but Cheek might

not be available by then. :(

3 - CB & PR - Lynaris Elpheage - sign to practice squad

4 - TE - Mike Pinkard - sign to the practice squad - won't happen

though because of TE Kevin Ware being there

:dallasuck

Originally posted by inmate running the asylum

Stevea,

IMHO you are definitely right about safety Lamont Thompson. Sign him and cut journeyman Todd Franz.

Actually there are a lot of good football players who get cut because of the numbers game and are available for the first several weeks. Who would I like to see the Skins sign from among cut players?

1 - Safety, Lamont Thompson

2 - Punter, Stephen Cheek - get him while he is still available,

I predict Barker will shank a punt and be cut, but Cheek might

not be available by then. :(

3 - CB & PR - Lynaris Elpheage - sign to practice squad

4 - TE - Mike Pinkard - sign to the practice squad - won't happen

though because of TE Kevin Ware being there

:dallasuck

#2, your really going out on a limb with that one mate. LOL

Why should we pick up Thompson? We have 3 young, pretty good safeties in Iffy, Terrell, and Bowen. Don't spend any more money there. Instead, look at Brooks Barnard, the punter that everyone here wanted, as he was recently cut by the Bears and I don't think he's been picked up yet. Steve Martin is a free agent as well, and we need all the help we can get in the interior. McGrew is an interesting prospect.

CrankyTodd :

Why so quick to go after Lamont Thompson? For them to cut a 2nd rounder in his 2nd year, he must have done SOMETHING to piss off the coaches.

I just responded to this question by Terry over in CPND:

......................................................................................

There may be a warning sign or two, there always are, but I'm not sure how strong they are. The kid got to camp late last year because the Bengals wouldn't give him a fair contract, and then got injured late in the season (don't remember the details). New coach comes in and says he is not aggressive enough working his way back, i.e., too lazy. Then cuts him along with others to make an example.

I can't help but thinking of Larry Centers. He didn't "buy in" to Marty's off-season workout plan so Marty cut him to make an example. How strong of a warning alarm would that have been?

Of course the analogy only goes so far. Centers had already proven himself to be a stud as well as a good guy. That's not true of Thompson. He's an unknown. But the PRINCIPLE is the same. When a new coach cuts a player to make an example perhaps it should be taken with a grain of salt.

Also, the Bengals are pretty deep at that position. They've got some other very promising young guys playing Safety. So it was an easy example for Marv to make.

Finally, the cost of claiming him and having him not work out is very small. It would mean cutting someone (e.g., Todd Franz) and eating Thompson's minimum salary for a few weeks while working with him.

When I weigh the possibility of him living up to his draft potential versus the rather limited warning bell (IMO) and the cost of being wrong, I like the idea of taking a risk with him -- CLAIM HIM OFF WAIVERS!!!

......................................................................................

HTTR

Archived