Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: RI: Donovan McNabb calm when game's on the line

Oldskool

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/donovan-mcnabb/donovan-mcnabb-calm-when-games.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

In this morning's dead-tree edition, we took a closer look at the Redskins' string of tight games. Since 2006, the Redskins have played more games decided by eight or fewer points (46) and more games decided by three or fewer points (23) than any other team in the league. Though they went 2-8 last year in these close games, this year the Redskins already are 3-1.

One difference we didn't touch on much in the story is the impact of the new quarterback. Donovan McNabb has played in plenty of close games over the years, and he explained his mellow approach during his weekly radio show Tuesday on ESPN 980. In 11 years with the Eagles, cameras would often catch McNabb smiling late in nail-biters, which McNabb says many fans misinterpreted.

"I'm not a guy who's going to bang my head against a locker or flip a table that's filled with water," McNabb said on his show. "I think it's important as a quarterback not to get caught up in the moment."

Different players have different approaches. Late in close games, McNabb says "you see guys bouncing around, swinging towels, things of that nature." That's not really his style, and his calming presence might benefit the team.

"I think you have to be even-keeled in this game," he said. "This game can be stressful, This game is already enough on your heart and on your mind." While McNabb had struggled in the second half of recent games, certainly his performance improved late in Sunday's win over the Packers.

Prior to the fourth-quarter drive that resulted in the Redskins first touchdown, McNabb was 15-of-28 passing for 176 yards in three-plus quarters. As the Redskins battled back -- with McNabb keeping his cool -- the quarterback was 11-of-21 for 181 yards through the final quarter and overtime period.

Even if the Redskins are getting better at pulling out these late wins, the preference would be to put teams away much earlier.

"We would like to eliminate these games from being so tight," McNabb said, "but I think it will help us down the road when we get in a situation like this, we'll have the confidence that we can pull it out."

By Rick Maese | October 12, 2010; 1:33 PM ET

Categories: Donovan McNabb

Archived