Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SC: Weeding out the suckers - The boys from brokeback

JimmiJo

http://web.skinscast.com/subcast/2010/09/14/weeding-out-the-suckers-the-boys-from-brokeback/

Weeding out the suckers - The boys from brokeback

By John Pappas

Skinscast Editor

Well that wasn’t supposed to happen. The script has always been that the Redskins play a little better for three quarters of the game, build the slightest of leads, only to see Dallas drive late to steal the win.

Don’t believe us? Just look at last year, when the Redskins beat the crap out of Dallas for three quarters, built a 6-0 lead, then lost it on a last minute touchdown drive. Anyone remember 2004, when rookie Sean Taylor allowed Patrick Crayton by to catch the 39-yard touchdown pass from quarterback Vinny Testaverde that resulted in a 13-10 loss? This mind you, on 4th down with no timeouts. And how about 1999, when Dallas scored three 4th quarter touchdowns to beat Washington 41-35?

In fact, we pointed out elsewhere how of the last 12 first season matches between these teams, 11 were decided by one score or less. And eight were won by the Cowboys.

So it was fitting to see the tables turned Sunday night, with Washington walking away with the win on the final play to beat Dallas 13-7. Washington did just enough, and held on just long enough, to get the win against their fiercest rival to start the season.

Sweet victory for Redskins fans.

But the win was built on individual performances, good and bad. This is where we pull back the curtain and take a hard look.

DeAngelo Hall – Hot

Hall has got to get top billing in this assessment. He is the reason Washington won the game. There are football players, and there are playmakers. Hall is the latter.

Hall’s stop of Tachard Choice, forced fumble, recovery, and touchdown return cannot be overstated in terms of significance. Hall himself called it the biggest play he has had as a Redskin.

Hall is not the most technical corner, and struggles in press man. One of the reasons he gets thrown at so much. But he has impressive closing speed and a knack for getting his hands on the ball. One of these days opposing offenses may figure out they should start picking on somebody else.

Run offense – Not

The O-line isn't quite there yet. That's the main reason the offense looks like a it did last year. Rabach, Dockery and I'll even go out on a limb and say Hicks are not going to strike any fear in any opponnet. They are shoddy at best. Dockery doesn't fit what the coaching staff is trying to run in the ZBS. He's too slow, he falls down and wiffs an awful lot for an interior linemen. Rabach, there is nothing left to say about this clown. You can count on atleast 1-2 holding calls at inopportune times. He constantly gets pushed back into the backfield. He's a backup at best right now in my opinion. I never was too high on him when he came from the Ravens, but we know how this team overvalues players all the time. I wont' be too hard on Hicks because he is what he is.. a versatile lineman who can be serviceable at a couple positions. He's not going to blow you away by any means. So there you have it, that's why we are going to struggle in the run game all year long.. it all starts in the middle and unfortunately that's where this team is weak. And as John mentioned, having a FB that can't block, catch or chew gum is a dagger as well. That's the icing on the cake.

The O-line isn't quite there yet. That's the main reason the offense looks like a it did last year. Rabach, Dockery and I'll even go out on a limb and say Hicks are not going to strike any fear in any opponnet. They are shoddy at best. Dockery doesn't fit what the coaching staff is trying to run in the ZBS. He's too slow, he falls down and wiffs an awful lot for an interior linemen. Rabach, there is nothing left to say about this clown. You can count on atleast 1-2 holding calls at inopportune times. He constantly gets pushed back into the backfield. He's a backup at best right now in my opinion. I never was too high on him when he came from the Ravens, but we know how this team overvalues players all the time. I wont' be too hard on Hicks because he is what he is.. a versatile lineman who can be serviceable at a couple positions. He's not going to blow you away by any means. So there you have it, that's why we are going to struggle in the run game all year long.. it all starts in the middle and unfortunately that's where this team is weak. And as John mentioned, having a FB that can't block, catch or chew gum is a dagger as well. That's the icing on the cake.

It's true we definitely have some issues in the middle of the line, specifically Center, but the one thing we can hang our hat on is the line started to get into a groove in the 4th Quarter. To me, that just says they need some time. I'm hoping they start gelling soon.

The sack stood out in that McIntosh was held on the blitz, but still managed to get to Tony Romo sits to pee for Washington’s only sack of the night. His ability to get just a piece of Romo sits to pee’s jersey to bring him down allowed Washington to decline the penalty, taking a down away from the Cowboys.

This was probably the 2nd best play of the game.

We are beginning to think that somewhere in Washington, a gypsy woman is chanting spells around a cauldron to keep the curse alive. It seems that no matter who you bring in to coach, quarterback, or rush; this team cannot be effective scoring.

....Or more like, we don't have much of a talented offense. Look at other teams around the league and we are probably in the middle of the pack at BEST. I anticipate alot of changes on the offensive side next season. I wouldn't be surprised if we went WR with the first pick in the draft.

....Or more like, we don't have much of a talented offense. Look at other teams around the league and we are probably in the middle of the pack at BEST. I anticipate alot of changes on the offensive side next season. I wouldn't be surprised if we went WR with the first pick in the draft.

I'm still trying to figure out why Houshmandzadeh is not here. Not to beat a dead horse, but not sure how you let that guy get away.

Archived