Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defensive front idea?

Iowa Redskin Fan

What about trying Daniels at NT? He doesn't have the normal weight for a NT but he has the strength to override that. I just think he would blow up most centers and require some help from the guards. Rotate him and Kemoeatu back and forth at NT, Haynesworth and carriker at DE, and Orakpo, Carter as outside LBer's. I just think that would be one hell of a front with Daniels right in the middle. Let me know what you think, just an idea. :dallasuck

Yep, his strength is in his upper body and he's too old and injury prone to handle the beating he would take at the nose. Strength comes in different forms, he can't make up the bulk he's missing. Not to mention the youth or quickness.
I don't know why you say all his strength is in his upper body. Powerlifting develops overall strength, not only upper body while neglecting lower body. And do you have his lift numbers to prove your point?

I don't know why you say all his strength is in his upper body. Powerlifting develops overall strength, not only upper body while neglecting lower body. And do you have his lift numbers to prove your point?

Multiple leg injuries = weaker legs.

Yes he power lifts but he is older and stationary lifts are different than functional strength.

After wrecking my acl mcl and pcl I found that despite rehabbing very strongly my functional strength was far lower. Daniels had several injuries and hasnt shown any of his former brute power since then. (except on youtube)

hes too high cut and hes fragile. bad plan

Really?? From Philip Daniels himself:

PD: I definitely put myself up there somewhere. But bench press is not my strong point. My legs are my strong part."

"And despite the fact that he turned 36 in March, Daniels continued to improve his numbers; he said he can squat around 750 pounds, the most of his life, and can dead lift life more than 600. His squat number, he said, would be tops on the Redskins."

"Orakpo says he's maxed at 515. Daniels goes to 450 (in ref to bench press); "my legs [are] my strong point,"

Not saying he should/could play NT but to say that he is all upper body strength is just not right.

AH, Carriker, Ma'ake on line, hopefully LB's will make more plays. Also LL is a big help with run support. We need a FS that can cover, Doughty is poor in coverage. Front seven need to play with more aggression, Orakpo still plays tentative in space.

Bottom line is we will give up yards on ground, but defense should play well enough for the win. The real question is will the offense show up...

Archived