Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Sources: Cowboys RBs draw interest (MB + Choice)!!!

tr1

http://sports.espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/news/story?id=5530171

The Dallas Cowboys have fielded phone calls from several teams about dealing for running backs Marion Barber and Tashard Choice, according to multiple sources.

However, a league source told ESPN.com's Matt Mosley that the team is not going to trade Barber, the starter at the position.

Drew Rosenhaus, Barber's agent, told ESPNDallas.com that he hasn't heard from the Cowboys or other teams regarding a possible trade.

Cowboys officials must cut their roster down to 53 players by 3 p.m. CT Saturday.

Barber, who has led the team in rushing the last three seasons, hasn't performed as a dominant running back because of injuries he's endured the last two years.

Trading Barber is difficult as well because he has a huge contract. In the spring, he received a $4 million roster bonus and is owed $3.8 million in base salary this year.

Barber is also due to make $14 million through 2014. But it appears doubtful that he will play to the life of his current contract.

Earlier in the day, the Cowboys traded wide receiver Patrick Crayton to the San Diego Chargers for a seventh-round pick. Dallas also traded guard Pat McQuistan to the Miami Dolphins for a sixth-round pick.

Before the deals were announced Friday, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said there was a chance a trade was forthcoming.

"I'd say possible," he said. "Possible, but very real."

The Cowboys have been in a cost-cutting mode this week. They saved $3.17 million in base salaries by releasing safety and special-teams ace Pat Watkins and dealing Crayton.

If the Cowboys let Barber go, either by trade or release, the move would increase their savings to roughly $6.2 million.

"It's not strictly the money,:ols:" team executive Stephen Jones said. "It's how do you want your team to progress, and if you're always keeping the veteran guys over the young guys you ultimately become an old team. And that bites you at some point."

The Cowboys could go younger at running back by using Felix Jones as the starter and moving Choice, the team's No. 3 running back, to a backup role. For the moment, the Cowboys appear ready to start the season with Barber.

Cowboys RB Marion Barber is not involved in trade talks

Posted at 11:00 PM on Fri., Sep. 3, 2010

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2010/09/cowboys-rb-marion-barber-is-no.html

The Cowboys traded Patrick Crayton and Pat McQuistin earlier today. That seemed to spark rumors that more would follow.

Reports began to surface Friday evening that teams were talking to the Cowboys about running back Marion Barber. The team's response?

Cowboys officials say there have been no substantive talks involving Barber. He is not close to being traded and the club isn't looking to move him.

TRANSLATION: We put him out there, and the laughter was so intense, WE decided not to try to move him...even puke fans knew MB III is some tough baggage to get rid of.

Before the deals were announced Friday, Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said there was a chance a trade was forthcoming.

"I'd say possible," he said. "Possible, but very real."

JJ has such a strange way of talking. "Possible, but very real." What?? On the one hand it's "possible," but on the other hand it's "very real?"

His use of the English language always intrigues me.

I find it interesting that even with as thin as they are at line, they trade away a backup...

Romo sits to pee's not going to be happy this year, methinks...

The guy they traded has sucked horribly every chance he got, and was outperformed by a couple rookies this preseason. If they'd of gotten a ham sandwich for him it would of been a good trade.

The guy they traded has sucked horribly every chance he got, and was outperformed by a couple rookies this preseason. If they'd of gotten a ham sandwich for him it would of been a good trade.

Fair enough. I was under the impression though that the cowboys would want to keep him just for another body, but I guess they can pick up someone on waivers.

Miles Austin has yet to sign a new contract...and Free will be a starter with a low contract.

If money isn't behind these moves, then I'm Santa Clause. :rotflmao:

This is Jerruh being cheap, again.

Yea, because everyone knows Jerry has always failed to spend money to make the team better. Do you actually pay attention to the NFL in general and the Cowboys specifically? It certainly doesn't seem like it.

Archived