Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Saints sign Ki-Jana

Griff

From the Saints webpage:

Saints add Carter

By Chris Pika, August 18, 2003; 10:10 pm

NewOrleansSaints.com

The Saints added depth at the running back spot on Monday as they signed former number one selection RB Ki-Jana Carter to the active roster.

Carter, the first overall pick in the 1995 NFL Draft by Cincinnati, signed in the morning and worked with the team during the afternoon practice.

RB Ki-Jana Carter, who signed with the Saints on Monday, is shown scoring a TD while with Washington in 2001

Associated Press

"It felt good to be out there," Carter said. "It has been a while. It has been almost a year now. That is just more of an opportunity for me to have the coaches to get a look at me. I have to start somewhere. I am starting to learn the system pretty quick. I am going to study with the coaches tonight and learn the system. I am just going to try to feel better every time I go out there."

"We are looking for a backup running back and he has a lot of skins on the wall," said Saints Coach Jim Haslett. "He has played a lot in this league. I think he rushed for 100 yards the last time he played against us. He was out of football last year. He was in great condition. He looks like he is in pretty good shape and he ran well today. We are just giving him an opportunity."

After being released by Green Bay prior to the start of last season, Carter kept busy working out and staying ready. "You never know what can happen during the season, so you always have to stay ready," he said. "I worked out throughout the whole season. I used all my motivation toward my workouts. Sometimes, you have days where you think that you should be out there playing. I just wished some teams would over look my medical records. I just needed to get in for a work out, and then I knew that I would take care of things."

Carter, who has battled injuries during his career, was selected first overall by the Bengals in 1995 out of Penn State. In 49 career games, he has 1,055 yards rushing and 19 TDs along with 65 receptions for 458 yards. His last regular season action came with Washington in 2001 as he rushed 63 times for 308 yards for a career-best 4.9 per carry average. While in college, he rushed for 2,829 yards with 34 TDs during his career with the Nittany Lions.

Haslett hopes to get Carter some work in this Saturday's preseason game at San Francisco once he learns the offense. "He played for Jimmy Raye in Washington and it is the same offense and terminology that we run because (offensive coordinator) Mike McCarthy learned from Raye," said Haslett. "The terminology shouldn't take him that long. Hopefully, we can get him up to speed and get him some carries this week."

Haslett said that Carter brings several things to the Saints. "I think he has pretty good vision and pretty good running skills," he said. "I will have to see him with some pads on, but you can see why he was a number one overall pick at one time."

In order to make room for Carter on the team, the club waived TE Mario Jackson. The active roster stands at 87.

Archived