Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Limas Sweed injures Achilles

benskins26

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5156181

PITTSBURGH -- Steelers wide receiver Limas Sweed injured his left Achilles tendon during the final day of a three-day minicamp, and coach Mike Tomlin says the injury could be serious.

Sweed was hurt during a routine passing drill on Sunday and was taken off the Steelers' indoor practice field on a cart. He later left the team's practice facility on crutches.

"I didn't have direct eyes on him [when he was hurt]. It's just one of those things," Tomlin said.

If the Achilles is ruptured, Sweed likely would miss the season.

Sweed, a second-round draft pick from Texas in 2008, had seven catches in his first two NFL seasons and was a major disappointment to the Steelers. He was removed from the active roster Dec. 22 for what the team said were personal reasons and not the result of an injury.

"There were just some personal things that I went through in my life, but my family and the Steelers helped me get through it," Sweed said Friday. "But I feel like a kid again. It's good to be back playing."

I found this interesting, seeing as how a lot of us on here (myself included) really wanted this guy, especially over Kelly, and maybe even Thomas. Looks like we made the right decision (at least on Thomas).

Doesn't this guy have serious butterfingers? I remember every time I watched a Steelers game, this guy dropped nearly everything thrown at him.

Sucks that he got hurt, but I don't regret not taking him.

Agreed. I remember there was a large part of ES who wanted him over every other WR being drafted in 2008.

Out of the big guys, honestly it looks like we picked the best ones in the 2nd round. The best receivers so far have been the smallish guys like Jackson and Royal (although Royal was invisible this year ..)

Out of the big guys, honestly it looks like we picked the best ones in the 2nd round. The best receivers so far have been the smallish guys like Jackson and Royal (although Royal was invisible this year ..)

Add Avery to that. He's looked pretty good despite having QB issues.

Jordy Nelson probably has had the most impact of the big guys, and even he's not starting.

Personally, watching vids of Sweed at the time, I wasn't nearly as impressed by him as some on the board were. It seemed all he did was run fly patterns.

Archived